Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

First offering..... Funky Fish Headlight Halos!

TreTuna

Reaction score
Alright, so here we are with the first offering from Funky Fish Designs, halos!

You've probably already seen them in pictures of my truck, if not, here's a look!

GaragePicFromMeet.jpg

These halos are made from high quality acrylic and LEDs, not cold cathode like many others. Advantages to this? More options for colors, less risk of breakage, and you can easily change the color of the halos if you wish as well.

I can make these in many colors: blue, red, white, green, yellow, purple, pink, and orange, sorry, no dual color LEDs on these, yet. Sadly I have yet to find dual color LEDs that are powerful enough to produce a good light in them, I am working on it though! I can, however, put one color on one side and another on the opposite side which will give some interesting results with each side being different and blended as the light meets in the middle. I will have pictures of all the different colors very soon. I took some with my camera, but they are kinda poor quality pictures at the moment so I'm waiting to get some better ones done by a friend with a good camera. When I get them I will post it all up, hopefully within a week.

These Halos use Superflux 4-chip LEDs which give a very bright light compared to normal 5mm ones. This is why I am not able to make dual color yet, the superflux are the only ones I have found to give a good enough light output for the length of the halos that must be used on our headlights. Here's a comparison shot for you.

compare.jpg

They are completely waterproof and will give a great look to your XR. For a few options to these I can make them a couple ways.

1. Exactly as you see on my headlights. These have no backing so that the light will shine both forward and back through the reflective housing of the headlights, giving it a more full look. This also means that when the headlights are on it will shine through the halo, rendering them practically invisible so if you get them in an illegal color you don't have to worry. I have personally driven with the halos and headlights on in my truck for over 2 months now with no problems from the authorities. I do not, however, take any responsibility for any tickets you get due to the color chosen for your halos.

2. I can put a reflective backing on them so that it shines all of the light forward, giving the halos themselves more of a distinct look without lighting up the housing of the headlights as much. This will, however, not let the light from the headlights beam through the halos. This can be good and bad depending on what you are looking for. It will give the halos a more distinguished and defined look and be more visible while the headlights are on, but if you get them in an illegal color for the street and forget they are on, it could give you some problems with the authorities.

3. I can do either on of the previous styles in a shorter halo. What this means is you can kinda shape the halos to give a more aggressive look to them when installed at an angle. I don't have pics of this yet, but I will soon. Will probably do these on the headlights I am getting to make the instructions with so that you can see what I'm talking about exactly.

Now for the nitty gritty of course.... How much are they? Well... The halos themselves in any style and color will be $70 a set shipped with installation instructions. If I get a large enough response from these I will think about doing a group rate on them as well, but for now the price is set.

If you are scared to take apart your headlights and want me to install them for you there will of course be a charge for this. I have not yet figured out how much this will be due to shipping costs of the headlights themselves, but I will soon so just let me know if this is what you would like. I will update this thread with new info as I figure it out.

I do all of this work out of my apartment on what little free time I get so I will be running this as a list for who wants what and will get them out as soon as I can. This is the only set of halos made for our OEM headlights and are quite possibly the largest halos built, period. I back my work completely and if there are any issues just let me know and we will work it out.

So with that being said, this will be the official thread for that list. If you want a set post it here with style and coloration you would like.

dramad1

Reaction score
i would like a set of blue if you are taking orders

crispytaco

Reaction score
how bright are these during the day are they clearly visable or just barely there?

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
hmmmm. i'm definitely interested. but not sure if i'm pulling the trigger yet. oyur blue one's look sick. can you post some pics with just the halo's on? day shots as well?

TreTuna

Reaction score
Ok, this is going to be another time when the two different styles are going to differ. During the day my halos are barely visible due to letting the light escape out the back. Which is good to me due to them being blue, I don't want them completely visible during the day.. Here's a pic as an example:

web.jpg

Now, with option #2, there would be a backing that makes all the light reflect out the front. This will make them more visible during the day. The thing is, I have not installed any like this yet, so I do not have an example to show and cannot really say how much more visible they would be.

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
Interested in red. If you get a free chance, I'd love to see the instructions before I hop on this one. Do you have a switch wired to these independent of the headlight rotary switch?

EDIT: Curious how well the headlight would drown these out if you're running projectors? Decisions decisions.

TreTuna

Reaction score
Price on the "Audi" style lights?

Ok, here's the deal on the "audi" lights and why I'm not going to sell them myself. The strips are the 2 foot long headlight strips you can get at http://www.oznium.com/side-emitting-led-strip for $30 per strip. This is where I buy all my LEDs and considering this, I cannot offer them to you any cheaper because I'd just be buying them from oznium and then charging you that price and a surcharge for my own time. I'll just tell you to go get them from oznium and help explain to you how-to install them yourself.

Now, this changes if you are wanting me to do the mod on your lights. In that case I can take care of purchasing these strips and installing them for you. My cost would include the cost of the strips from oznium, plus my labor. My labor price is highly dependent on what all I am doing for your lights and will have to be taken on a project-by-project basis when we talk about your setup and what you want done.

These strips are a perfect fit in our headlights between the front lens and the plastic backing. They fit right in the little space between them when put together. Also, from inside bottom corner to top outside corner just so happen to be exactly 2 feet. This makes thee strips perfect for this install. Why am I not selling them? Because I can't get them any cheaper then you just buying them from oznium yourself if you are going to do the install.

interested in orange...:smile:

justin

I can definitely do that for you. Might be able to work something out if you got any SubX stuff laying around you want to get rid of still. :top:

70 dollars shipped include hawaii? lmk

I'm basically going to flat rate priority mail boxes to ship these in, which should be the same price for shipping to Hawaii as well. If that is the case (since I've never shipped anything out there), then yes $70 includes shipping to Hawaii.

Last edited:

RJDoute

Reaction score
How did my questions get completely ignored. =P

TreTuna

Reaction score
Sorry man, I didn't see your question.

I don't have the installation instructions finished yet. I'll have them done in about a week. I'm grabbing up 2 sets of headlights this week to mod with a few different styles for pictures and comparison. They are relatively easy to install as long as you're not afraid of baking your headlights. Basically the halo rings set in the inner housing (Not the part that everyone paints for the BHLM, but the silver reflector section for the main headlight). The way I have mine installed is I used a high-temp epoxy to secure the bottom part to the headlight and I drilled two very small holes at the top and secured them with zip ties up there. Why zip ties? because honestly, if you ever wanted to change out the LEDs for whatever reason (change of mind of the color), you can cut the zip ties, remove the shrink wrap that holds the LEDs on, and replace them easily (of course you have to take the headlights apart again to get to them). Now, this is how I recommend them to be installed. You can vary on this method however you want, but mine are VERY secure and are going absolutely no where.

As far as them with the projectors. They will definitely be more visible with a projector setup with or without the reflective backing because the headlight beam will not be shooting straight through them dispersing their light. Once again I couldn't tell you exactly how much better due to not having done a set with projectors yet, but this is my next step on my own headlights, just gotta get the funds together for it.

RJDoute

Reaction score
Too easy, thanks partner. :top:

sinister07

Reaction score
I would be interested in the white...kinda curious to see the installation process...

RJDoute

Reaction score
Ah yes, one more question I think you missed. Are these toggled directly by the rotary headlight switch, or do they have their own dedicated switch?

TreTuna

Reaction score
You can wire them however you want. I have mine connected to a remote unit I picked up from Pep Boys for $30 which has 4 independent switches built in for lights. It was meant for fog lights, but I've been using them on applications like these for years and they work great.

I didn't want mine connected with the headlights because I wanted to use them without having to go inside the truck and turn it on. Plus they are blue, so I didn't want them on all the time while driving for legal reasons. My headlights strips, however are hooked up on the rotary switch with the parking lights...

Last edited:

MisterSkaTuba

Reaction score
Man.... I wanna get all of this done!! I'm
lucky because I can use my company truck while I send the parts to you. How soon can i send you everything?

HookedX

Reaction score
id be interested in having a set in red made, and if the price was right id go for having them and the audi strips installed as well as the halos installed

Top Bottom