Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FJ cruiser gets new engine

Gadget

Reaction score
I didn't think the ECU had any control over VVT-i on the intake either. I was under the impression that the VVT-I actuator was controlled by oil pressure.

The 09 fit kit is different. The pulleys used on the 09 are different.

I had to replace one of my idlers, and they gave me an 09 by mistake, and i was unable to use it as the s/c pulley system would not line up properly.

It is controlled by the ECU.

Simply,,,,

The ECU reads the cam position using a hall effect sensor. The ECU controls the spool valve that allows engine oil to enter the chamber in the VVT actuator and that pressure pushes against piston type thing against strong spring pressure trying to push it other way. This deflection against the spring alters the cam timing.

Basically it is hydrolicly controlled using feed back from a postion sensor. The hydrolics are controlled by the ECU and the hydrolic force is engine oil pressure.

G

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt you not want this if you're boosted. Higher compression would just increase your risk of knock...am i right?

X-roller

Reaction score
True.....but the compression is only going about about .5 so it's really not much of a difference and well since the VVT-i is on the exhaust port as well....it's actually going to be bettery suited now for FI

Gadget

Reaction score
Helloooooo.....

The 1GR from day one has always been 10.5:1 compression. Just like most of the newer Toyota engines.

G

X-roller

Reaction score
The compression to my knowledge is 10.0 : 1

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0 L version. Bore is 94 mm and stroke is 95 mm. Output is 236 hp (176 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb·ft (361 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 239 hp (178 kW) at 5200 rpm with 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's VVT-i, variable valve timing system on the intake cam and a compression ratio of 10.0:1.

Last edited:

disciple X

Reaction score
i've heard/ seen both on the compression... i think it's 10 though.

X-roller

Reaction score
wow...You can see compression?....Can I have your eyes??.....:biggrin:

Top Bottom