Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FJ cruiser gets new engine

DrEaM MaKeR

Reaction score
re-re-post!!!

No. of Cyls. & Arrangement 6-cylinder, V Type
Valve Mechanism 24-valve DOHC, Chain Drive (with Dual VVT-i)
Combustion Chamber Pentroof Type
Flow of Intake and Exhaust Gasses Cross-flow
Fuel System SFI
Ignition System DIS
Displacement cm3 (cu. in.) 3956 (241.4)
Bore × Stroke mm (in.) 94.0 × 95.0 (3.70 × 3.74)
Compression Ratio 10.4 : 1
Max. Output (SAE-NET)*1 194 kW @ 5600 rpm (260 HP @ 5600 rpm)
Max. Torque (SAE-NET)*1 367 Nm @ 4400 rpm (271 ftlbf @ 4400 rpm)
Valve timing Intake Open (BTDC) –11to 29 Close (ABDC) 71to 31
Valve timing Exhaust Open (BBDC) 60to 25 Close (ATDC) 4to 39
Firing Order 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6
Oil Grade ILSAC Multigrade Engine Oil
Octane Rating 87 or higher
Fuel Gasoline or Alcohol Fuel*3
Research Octane Number (RON) 91 or higher
Engine Service Mass*2 (Reference) kg (lb) 197 (435)

Last edited:

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
the bump in compression is probably what gave the extra HP and the extra control of vvt-i.

X-roller

Reaction score
You will not be able to install the heads on your engine. The ECU is not capable of controlling the VVTi on the exhaust cam.

Basically what Toyota is doing is what the APR cam gears do, but with more control.

I may be wrong, but I do not think there is any difference in the TRD Supercharger fit kit for the 09 Taco. The ECU reflash calibration is what is different.

G

Pretty sure we should be able to snag the head and make it work. All we will really need is the ECU. Pretty sure the head is going to look the same just the Cams gears are both gonna have the same type of fixture to where the timing gets adjusted by throttle response.

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
so question.... say I get a '10 FJ could I swap the motor and ECU and have the extra BHP?

RedXRunner

"Splash Baby Douchecanoe"
Reaction score
NEW FEATURES
1GR-FE ENGINE
1. General
 The 1GR-FE engine is a 4.0-liter, 24-valve DOHC V6 engine. In this engine, a Dual Variable Valve
Timing-intelligent (Dual VVT-i) system, in which the VVT-i system has also been added to the exhaust
side, and the roller rocker arm are used to minimize friction, offering excellent engine performance, fuel
economy and clean emissions.
 The 1GR-FE engine is compatible with gasoline/ethanol mixed fuel which contains up to 20% ethanol
(E20). Unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 (research octane number 91) or higher can be used
on this engine.

No. of Cyls. & Arrangement 6-cylinder, V Type

Valve Mechanism 24-valve DOHC, Chain Drive (with Dual VVT-i)
Combustion Chamber Pentroof Type
Flow of Intake and Exhaust Gasses Cross-flow
Fuel System SFI
Ignition System DIS
Displacement cm3 (cu. in.) 3956 (241.4)
Bore × Stroke mm (in.) 94.0 × 95.0 (3.70 × 3.74)
Compression Ratio 10.4 : 1

Max. Output (SAE-NET)*1 194 kW @ 5600 rpm (260 HP @ 5600 rpm)
Max. Torque (SAE-NET)*1 367 N⋅m @ 4400 rpm (271 ft⋅lbf @ 4400 rpm)
Valve timing Intake Open (BTDC) –11to 29 Close (ABDC) 71to 31
Valve timing Exhaust Open (BBDC) 60to 25 Close (ATDC) 4to 39
Firing Order 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6

Oil Grade ILSAC Multigrade Engine Oil

Octane Rating 87 or higher
Fuel Gasoline or Alcohol Fuel*3
Research Octane Number (RON) 91 or higher
Engine Service Mass*2 (Reference) kg (lb) 197 (435)

Engine Proper
 Oil delivery pipes are used for the cylinder head cover.
 The cylinder head structure has been changed; the camshaft housing is
now separate from the cylinder head.
 The shapes of the cylinder head intake ports and the locations of the fuel
injectors have been optimized.
 The surface treatment of the cylinder block liner has been changed.
 A cylinder block water jacket spacer has been added.
 The shape of the piston has been changed.
 A 5 balance weight crankshaft is used.

Valve Mechanism
 A Dual Variable Valve Timing-intelligent (Dual VVT-i) system, in
which the VVT-i system has also been added to the exhaust side, is used.
 A roller rocker arm is used.
 A hydraulic lash adjuster is used.
 Cam lobes with indented R profiles are used.

Lubrication System
 Oil passages for the VVT-i controller (exhaust) and the hydraulic lash
adjuster have been added.
 An oil filter with a replaceable element is used.

Intake and Exhaust System
 The shape and installation location of the air cleaner have been changed.
 A filter paper type air cleaner element is used.
 The throttle valve diameter has been increased.
 The shape of the intake air chamber has been optimized.
 The Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) has been discontinued.
 The shape of the exhaust manifold has been changed.
 The volume and cell density of the three-way catalytic converter have
been optimized.
 The material of the tail exhaust pipe has been changed.

Fuel System
The fuel system is made compatible with E20 fuel.
Ignition System Iridium-tipped spark plugs are used.
Charging System A generator pulley with a one-way clutch is used.
Starting System The starter has been changed to one with a 1.4 kW rating output.

Engine Control System
 A Dual VVT-i system is used.
 A fuel pump control that can regulate the fuel pump speed to one of
Low, Middle or High is used.
 A power steering oil pressure sensor is used.

The 1GR-FE engine has the following performance features as a result of the use of the items listed below:
(1) High performance and reliability
(2) Low noise and vibration
(3) Lightweight and compact design
(4) Good serviceability
(5) Clean emission and fuel economy

Cylinder Head Cover
An oil delivery pipe is installed inside each cylinder head cover. This ensures lubrication to the sliding parts
of the roller rocker arm, proving reliability

Cylinder Head
 The cylinder head structure has been simplified by separating the camshaft housing (cam journal portion)
from the cylinder head.
 By fitting the fuel injector so that its nozzle end juts into the intake port, the intake port cross sectional
area has become smooth, enhancing the efficiency of air intake. Furthermore, the distance between the
injector nozzle end and intake valve has been shortened and as a result, the amount of fuel that adheres
to the intake port will be reduced, increasing the fuel economy as well as reducing the exhaust emissions.

Cylinder Block
1) Liner
The shape of the cross-hatching of the liner surface has been optimized to improve oil retention
performance, resulting in reduced friction.
2) Cylinder Block Water Jacket Spacer
 Cylinder block water jacket spacers have been added to the water jacket.
 The cylinder block water jacket spacer prevents water flow in the middle and below the water jacket
and draws coolant above the cylinder bore, to ensure uniform temperature distribution. As a result,
the viscosity of the engine oil that acts as a lubricant between the bore walls and the pistons can be
lowered, thus reducing friction.

Piston
 The piston shape has been optimized for high-compression ratio.
 In order to reduce weight, cast holes have been provided on the bottom of the piston head near the pin
bosses as shown in the illustration below.
 The outer surface of the No. 2 compression ring has been plated with chrome in order to be compatible
with gasoline/ethanol mixed fuel.

Crankshaft
The 5 balance weight crankshaft is used for weight reduction, and the installation location of the balance
weight has been optimized to reduce vibration and noise.

5. Valve Mechanism
General
 A Dual Variable Valve Timing-intelligent (Dual VVT-i) system, in which the VVT-i system has also been
added to the exhaust side, is used. As a result, the valve timing has been optimized, achieving lower fuel
consumption, higher engine performance and lower exhaust emissions.
 The ’10 FJ Cruiser 1GR-FE engine uses the roller rocker arms with built-in needle bearings. This reduces
the friction that occurs between the cams and the roller rocker arms that push the valves down, thus
improving fuel economy.
 Hydraulic lash adjusters, which maintain a constant zero valve clearance through the use of oil pressure
and spring force, are used.

Camshaft
 A VVT-i controller has been added at the front end of the exhaust camshafts to vary the timing of the
exhaust valves.
 Oil passages are provided on the intake and exhaust camshafts in order to supply engine oil to the VVT-i
system.
 Together with the use of the roller rocker arms, the cam profile has been modified. This results in
increased valve lift when the valve begins to open and as it finishes closing, helping to achieve enhanced
output performance.

Hydraulic Lash Adjuster
 The hydraulic lash adjuster, which is located at the fulcrum of the roller rocker arm, consists primarily
of a plunger, plunger spring, check ball and check ball spring.
 The engine oil that is supplied by the cylinder head and the built-in spring actuate the hydraulic lash
adjuster. The oil pressure and the spring force that act on the plunger push the roller rocker arm against
the cam, in order to adjust the valve clearance that is created during the opening and closing of the valve.
As a result, engine noise is reduced.

6. Lubrication System
General
 Oil passages for the camshaft timing oil control valve (exhaust) and the VVT-i controller (exhaust) have
been added with the use of the VVT-i system on the exhaust side.
 With the use of the hydraulic lash adjuster and the roller rocker arm, oil passages have been added and
an oil delivery pipe is used.
 An oil filter with a replaceable element is used.

Oil Filter
 The oil filter element uses a high-performance filter paper to improve filtration performance. It is also
combustible for environmental protection.
 A plastic oil filter cap assembly is used for weight reduction.
 This oil filter has a structure which can allow the draining of the oil remaining in the oil filter. This
prevents oil from spattering when replacing the oil filter element and allows the technician to work
without touching hot oil.

8. Intake and Exhaust System
General
 The shape and installation location of the air cleaner have been changed to improve the output power.
 The throttle valve diameter has been increased from 65 mm (2.6 in.) to 70 mm (2.8 in.) to improve the
output power.
 The shape of the intake air chamber has been optimized to reduce pressure loss.
 The Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) has been discontinued to make the intake system more
simple and light-weighted.
 The shapes of the exhaust manifolds have been changed to optimize the exhaust gas flow and reduce
pressure loss.
 The volume and cell density of the three-way catalytic converter which is located at the front exhaust
pipe have been optimized.
 The material of the tail exhaust pipe has been changed to improve the rust resistance.

Air Cleaner
 The shape and installation location of the air cleaner have been changed to make the intake passage
shorter and straight, thus reducing pressure loss and improving the output power.
 The air cleaner element has been changed from the full-fabric type for the ’09 FJ Cruiser to a filter paper
type to reduce pressure loss.

9. Fuel System
 The fuel pressure has been increased from 284 kPa (2.9 kgf/cm2, 41 psi) to 324 kPa (3.3 kgf/cm2, 47 psi)
to be compatible with alcohol fuel.
 The pulsation damper and pressure regulator are surface-treated to be compatible with alcohol fuel,
resulting in improving the corrosion resistance.

10. Ignition System
 The spark plug has been changed from conventional type spark plug to iridium-tipped spark plug.
 Iridium-tipped spark plugs are used to achieve a 200000 km (120000 miles) maintenance interval. By
adopting an iridium center electrode, ignition performance that is superior to that of platinum-tipped spark
plugs is achieved and durability is increased.

11. Charging System
 A one-way clutch is set to the generator pulley.
 Operation of the one-way clutch cancels generator pulley inertia and helps to prevent slipping of the
V-ribbed belt. This realizes a low tension V-ribbed belt that achieves reduced friction.

12. Starting System
The starter has been changed to a more compact and light-weight RA1.4 type.

[SOURCE] ToyotaTerritory.com

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
so question.... say I get a '10 FJ could I swap the motor and ECU and have the extra BHP?

Would be cheaper to just spend 1k in mods then switching over engine and ECU to gain 25hp.

X-roller

Reaction score

Pretty sure you won't have to. Just find the head and ECU. I can think of multiple engines that you can swap heads, cams, and everything like that...all you need is the ECU that handles it.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Threads have been merged, and cleaned up. :top:

WCD

Reaction score
Pretty sure you won't have to. Just find the head and ECU. I can think of multiple engines that you can swap heads, cams, and everything like that...all you need is the ECU that handles it.

Sure you can swap but it wouldn't be a simple plug-and-play deal at all. Starting in '09, the harness/connectors are completely different. I also bet the ECU hardware version is different than the earlier years.

You will not be able to install the heads on your engine. The ECU is not capable of controlling the VVTi on the exhaust cam.

Basically what Toyota is doing is what the APR cam gears do, but with more control.

I may be wrong, but I do not think there is any difference in the TRD Supercharger fit kit for the 09 Taco. The ECU reflash calibration is what is different.

G

Here ya go. Gadget spells it out for you.

Also, each ECU is VIN-coded, so that would be another obstacle.

Last edited:

X-roller

Reaction score
Sure you can swap but it wouldn't be a simple plug-and-play deal at all. Starting in '09, the harness/connectors are completely different. I also bet the ECU hardware version is different than the earlier years.

I missed this post, but here ya go. Gadget spells it out for you.

Also, each ECU is VIN-coded, so that would be another obstacle.

Hmm....I'm guessing it would be fairly easy...I can see the head just getting slapped on unless they have a completely different bolt pattern which would mean creating a completly different block....I really don't see a completely different engine being built already....:hmmmm2:....so the head should be a plug and play and as far as the ECU goes well that might just require some minor modding if the plug in is not the same as the ones before....I can most definatley see it being an easy possibility. :rolleyez:

XrunnIT

Reaction score

G

I didn't think the ECU had any control over VVT-i on the intake either. I was under the impression that the VVT-I actuator was controlled by oil pressure.

The 09 fit kit is different. The pulleys used on the 09 are different.

I had to replace one of my idlers, and they gave me an 09 by mistake, and i was unable to use it as the s/c pulley system would not line up properly.

WCD

Reaction score
Wow! I just read through the entire Toyota Territory list. Those are some nice upgrades.

Going through all that makes me think that Toyota factory people are on the forums as guests and paying attention to what people are doing to their trucks.

X-roller

Reaction score
Would be cheaper to just spend 1k in mods then switching over engine and ECU to gain 25hp.

I dunno about that...for the amount of motor you are getting...You are talking about a strong ass motor now....that thing is a beast...I just read up on all the specs and it seems to be a bit of a supra motor in the making.....

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I dunno about that...for the amount of motor you are getting...You are talking about a strong ass motor now....that thing is a beast...I just read up on all the specs and it seems to be a bit of a supra motor in the making.....

the motor isn't that much "stronger" unless they changed to forged internals which the specs say nothing about. They increased performance and added some nice things. But don't count on it taking much more power than the motors we have right now.

X-roller

Reaction score
Engine Proper

Piston
The outer surface of the No. 2 compression ring has been plated with chrome in order to be compatible

9. Fuel System
The fuel pressure has been increased from 284 kPa (2.9 kgf/cm2, 41 psi) to 324 kPa (3.3 kgf/cm2, 47 psi)
The pulsation damper and pressure regulator are surface-treated to be compatible with alcohol fuel,

Just some of the few things that show it's being built up for a reason.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Engine Proper

Piston

9. Fuel System

Just some of the few things that show it's being built up for a reason.

To handle higher levels of ethonal?? To be more efficient??? Like I said a lot of good things, but it isn't no supra motor

X-roller

Reaction score
whoa!...never said that...said a supra motor in the making!....:biggrin:

and you know so it can handle that combustible NOS!!! Danger!!

Grumpy

Reaction score
Head swap may be a pipe dream....we'll see when the motor is here to do a side by side comparison. Too many variable to know if its yay or nay yet.

DrEaM MaKeR

Reaction score
well I'm looking at the block and heads broken down and this motor is completly different, not just vvt-i the block is different also it's just a new design of the 1grfe

Last edited:
Top Bottom