Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

has anyone tried these oil coolers?

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Why do you need a cooler ? Are you towing a trailer all the time. If you run synthectic oil you shoud have no reason for one.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
For a oil cooler I would go OEM. Its design is wonderful, when you start it up the coolant helps warm it up and once its gets up to the right operating temp it helps keep it cool.

butters607

Reaction score
Why do you need a cooler ? Are you towing a trailer all the time. If you run synthectic oil you shoud have no reason for one.

110 degrees outside and im gonna have boost would that be good enough reason to have on or? Also, the air is extremely thin here in el paso because of our elevation!

Last edited:

CBRBob

Reaction score
These are trans coolers guys.
Also you would need to run a pump to move the fluid, unlike an auto trans where the trans has a pump.

darthyota

Reaction score
These are trans coolers guys.
Also you would need to run a pump to move the fluid, unlike an auto trans where the trans has a pump.
i think he wants to use it for engine oil not for his trans in which case he would also need a samich plate too

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
i think he wants to use it for engine oil not for his trans in which case he would also need a samich plate too

That was my guess.
I prefer the OEM oil cooler, but it is expensive unless you find a killer deal like I did.

darthyota

Reaction score
and i would go with the greddy samich plate with a cooler like that and an accusump plus the new coupe oil pan mod

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Sorry not to thread jack,but I was thinking about an Oil Cooler too . Where can you find the OEM ones ?and what all is needed?

Gators Taco

Reaction score
The dealer should have it.

butters607

Reaction score
actually scrap this thread it is not a good idea reason being it's not thermostatically comtrolled

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I prefer the aftermarket oil cooler far more than the OEM one. The OEM one does work, within the limits of its design, but when you are boosting for periods of time what happens. You water temp raises. It will stay there for a while as well. So then it will still be "cooling" but at a much higher temp. At that point, it really isn't cooling down the oil to much. Being in such a hot climate area, coupled with boost, I firmly believe that the OEM isn't up to the job.

Add to that, when you see performance built cars that are sustaining high rpm for extended periods of time. (Yes on the extreme end) they use oil coolers. Even high horse power cars. Friction creates heat. Heat + heat creates more heat. Not cooler.

You should either do what XrunnerElite did, or do your own cooler setup. He pieced his together from Jegs I think, for about $150ish. Works better, and a fraction the cost of the OEM one.

Mine is a Series 6 13 row. Should be plenty for me. This one advertised is the 25 row.

Here is a link for brackets: http://www.frsport.com/index.php?target=products&mode=searchImproved&q=setrab&x=0&y=0

Here is their home site: http://www.setrabusa.com/oilcoolers.html

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
actually scrap this thread it is not a good idea reason being it's not thermostatically comtrolled

You'll probably have to piece together your own setup to get a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate. But its not hard. :top:

Gators Taco

Reaction score
If you took the setup with the fan system, you could install a thermo switch that would activate the fan as needed.

darthyota

Reaction score
to me all that looks like is a remote oil filter with a relay bolted to it

butters607

Reaction score
to me all that looks like is a remote oil filter with a relay bolted to it

right wouldnt that regulate how the oil cooler would push the oil through at 150 degrees or am i missing somthing?

darthyota

Reaction score
right wouldnt that regulate how the oil cooler would push the oil through at 150 degrees or am i missing somthing?
nope it wouldnt do anything all its going to do because its a dual in dual out meaning you can have a hose go into the filter come out and go else where then come back to the filter and then back out to the motor but i dont see how they would control that

Top Bottom