Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IPT Valve Body

off-road taco06

Reaction score
Ive had my VB upgrade for a while now. And it is exactly like Werty explained it. 1-2 gear no matter what, shifts hard. Same with 2-3 gear. It def makes the truck feel and drive different.

And let me tell you, it is by far the WORST in stop and go traffic! If you are going between 5-15mph and have to keep coming to a stop, you will hate it. Trust me, it just keeps bumping you into second and then boom, you have to stop again, back into first, then into second... then first again. lol I believe that is the only time i do not like my VB upgrade.

Other then that, i recommend it for any S/C'd vehicle. Trust me, the more you drive it... the more you will get used to it.

Gadget

Reaction score
You can ask them to dial the pressure regulator back two turns to soften that up a little bit.

You can also do it after it is installed. The pressure regulator can be removed easily after removing the pan.

My 4Runner did shift real hard into 2nd at light throttle, but now it is not harsh at all, but is still crisp and firm, but not jarringly harsh. Even the wife noticed it is shifting very nice now.

It will still chirp 2nd when I want it to...

G

off-road taco06

Reaction score
Hmmm.... thats some food for thought Gadget.

I don't want to ship my VB out again. Im also not very good with trannys. I had a shop do it for me last time. How easy would you say this is Gadget?? Do you think an un-knowledgeable person w/ trannys could do this pressure regulator thing?

Super Werty

Reaction score
Hmmm.... thats some food for thought Gadget.

I don't want to ship my VB out again. Im also not very good with trannys. I had a shop do it for me last time. How easy would you say this is Gadget?? Do you think an un-knowledgeable person w/ trannys could do this pressure regulator thing?

I did it, it's the springs that you had to pull out(springs connected to the tan plastic cylinders). See my pictures in this thread.

It's actually extremely easy. If you can change a light bulb you could do it. Im not going to change mine, I like it right where it is.

Murderface

Reaction score
Ive had my VB upgrade for a while now. And it is exactly like Werty explained it. 1-2 gear no matter what, shifts hard. Same with 2-3 gear. It def makes the truck feel and drive different.

And let me tell you, it is by far the WORST in stop and go traffic! If you are going between 5-15mph and have to keep coming to a stop, you will hate it. Trust me, it just keeps bumping you into second and then boom, you have to stop again, back into first, then into second... then first again. lol I believe that is the only time i do not like my VB upgrade.

Other then that, i recommend it for any S/C'd vehicle. Trust me, the more you drive it... the more you will get used to it.

Can u shift manually with the VB upgrade, if so can't u just do that in stop and go traffic to keep from having those issues?

Gadget

Reaction score
This transmission is a little different than the one on the 3.4L. The ECU controls the line pressure.

I think IPT locks down the pressure regulator so it is maxxed all the time. If you back off the pressure regulator 2 turns you give the ECU back some ability to adjust the line pressure.

G

off-road taco06

Reaction score
Can u shift manually with the VB upgrade, if so can't u just do that in stop and go traffic to keep from having those issues?

Yeah and i usually put it in first, but you got to remember anything faster then 15mph in first gear and my truck gets really loud w/ all the URD stuff i got. As well, if traffic picks up a little bit and im manually in first then shift to second after 20-25mph my truck jumps because it shifts so hard lol! Its tough but i can deal with it. Ive had it for a year now... so im used to it.

I did it, it's the springs that you had to pull out(springs connected to the tan plastic cylinders). See my pictures in this thread.

It's actually extremely easy. If you can change a light bulb you could do it. Im not going to change mine, I like it right where it is.

Hmm thanks for the info Werty. As long as im not hurting anything shifting that hard then im good where it is as well. But good to know i can do it later on if needed. :top:

Last edited:

trd_sport

Reaction score
^really i can get mine to chirp 3rd on a cold night.........wheres the vid already? lol

Super Werty

Reaction score
^really i can get mine to chirp 3rd on a cold night.........wheres the vid already? lol

thats why mine is so fast, it doesnt waste time chirping tires:laugh:

You'll have to keep waiting on the vid. Heck, you've waited this long just to watch me buy and install it(guinea pig), you can wait awhile longer for a video:top:

trd_sport

Reaction score
thats why mine is so fast, it doesnt waste time chirping tires:laugh:

You'll have to keep waiting on the vid. Heck, you've waited this long just to watch me buy and install it(guinea pig), you can wait awhile longer for a video:top:
You remind more of a hamster than a guinea pig:laugh:
Whats taking so long on the vid? My concern and questions Ive had for people that have done this is the daily drivability. Theres no doubt it will increase your full throttle acceleration. Id like to see a vid of it just slowly driving stop light to stop light since thats the kind of traffic I drive in all day...over 150 miles a day. I understand the shifts are hard like people with this mod have said, but Id like to see it before I do it.

Super Werty

Reaction score
You remind more of a hamster than a guinea pig:laugh:
Whats taking so long on the vid? My concern and questions Ive had for people that have done this is the daily drivability. Theres no doubt it will increase your full throttle acceleration. Id like to see a vid of it just slowly driving stop light to stop light since thats the kind of traffic I drive in all day...over 150 miles a day. I understand the shifts are hard like people with this mod have said, but Id like to see it before I do it.

I'm waiting on the track to re-open. I am in the process of learning how to superimpose video on top of video. So I can show the difference of acceleration on the needle.

For daily driving, Im not sure the camera will pick up the hard shift. I would have to experiment around with that. Let me see what I can do

I drive almost as much as you do. Trust me, you would like it

zr2ee

Reaction score
holy hell thats a 4 runner.....do you own anything that doesn't go fast??
is there a way to do this without sending them your trans in pieces? what parts would i need to pick up to send them if i still wanted to drive my truck while waiting for them to come back

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
How are those videos coming along Werty?

Super Werty

Reaction score
How are those videos coming along Werty?

I've actually been working on it for a bit. I wont post anything until I get a race clip though. So 8-9 more days:top:

so far everyone I've taken for a test ride loves the new shifting:top:

Top Bottom