Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Looking to buying a gun

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
so been looking around and everyone tells me all kinds of crap,
not looking to get into any trouble, just wanto own one before i CANT own one, if that.
but i've always wanted to just let steam off my shooting something or just take it apart and all that good stuff.
so i know some of you are strapped and i just dont know what would be a good choice for me
1.never fired a gun before (all my COD expertise does not count)
2.would rather get something like a handgun as my first then move on to something bigger
3.have an old army retired buddy that knows alot about guns and has plenty and has agreed to teach me and take me shooting once i get my own (this guy will not let any1 touch his guns)

just wondering if anyone has any advice on a good first timer gun that could be good for me..and what prices i should be ready to pay?and maybe somewhere good in LA i could go get it:dontknow:

kinda clueless here so any help is appreciated

:eek:verkill:

Gadget

Reaction score
Don't buy anything.

Go shooting with your friend.

Go to a range that rents guns and have one of their instructors help you shoot several different kinds.

Figure out what you want a firearm for, target shooting, home protection, or some type of collector firearm you don't intend to shoot. Then focus on what is good for that purpose. Then narrow down what you like and can shoot well and handle safely. Shoot those firearms on your short list and make a final decision what is best for you.

Worst thing to do is to buy a firearm and before you decide what is best for you and is best for your purpose. You will likely end up with one that is very wrong for you.

G

justin13703

Reaction score
^gadget is right, try out a bunch of different types/calibers first. I'm also looking to get one for home protection that is pretty small. I have a pretty long history with firearms though as my dad is a retired police officer. I'm thinking about getting a glock 30.

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
Every one has a different taste and its pretty much applies to guns. I like the 40 cal s&w while a friend of mine likes a .45 . You should defiantly try out a few things first . Buying one with out ever shooting one would be like buying a car with out test driving IMO

Xraided

Reaction score
glock 19 simple n easy to learn n get familiarized

^gadget is right, try out a bunch of different types/calibers first. I'm also looking to get one for home protection that is pretty small. I have a pretty long history with firearms though as my dad is a retired police officer. I'm thinking about getting a glock 30.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viperj_13

Reaction score
I agree with Gadget. Arrange a range day with friends that will instruct you with what they have and move onto renting different guns that feel comfortable to you. If you just can't wait the Glock 19 is a great gun. It's small enough to conceal, great for home defense, well known reliability. Plus its 9mm which is abundant, affordable, and easy to shoot. Good luck.

dramad1

Reaction score
Another thing to think about when buying a gun is the price of ammo. Bigger cal more expensive. Some shops can't keep ammo in stock because it sells out as soon as they receive it. Just a thought, I guess if you got a weapon for home defense, you shouldn't need a bunch of ammo.

Xraided

Reaction score
it just feels too bulky in my hand cuz i have small hands its a badass .45 but i shot a 1911 and it feels better cuz single stacked magaizines

gen 4

gregincali

Reaction score
I just picked up a Ruger SR22 for the little wife unit. It's a excellent trainer for someone with no pevious gun experince. It comes with adjustable grips and two mags. I've put five hundred rounds or so through it with a quick cleaing after a couple hundred rounds and this thing is very accurate. I think it's my new favorite, and very affordable to shoot compared to five hundred rounds of .45's. witch is what I normally do about every couple three months or so. Good luck with your search.
Greg.

SethXR1990

Reaction score
I want to get a gun too??
How do u get a permit for them though??
Srry for the thread jack lol

gregincali

Reaction score
It's very easy too easy IMO, just go down to your local gun shop and take the test. BAM... that's it!

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
no need to be sorry for thread jacks guys this is why i posted it up so things like this can be discussed, the more info the better!

and i really appreciate all the awesome info im looking into the closest gun shop where i can go and test some of those babies out but it doesnt seem to be anywhere close to socal but my gf's dad is army retired too and has a gloc and a couple of semi autos ,rifles, shotguns in his house and a couple other handguns i havent gotten to see ...hes promised to take me shooting this summer but im just so impatient! lol

by the looks of it im only gonna have around 300-500 to mess around with to get myself a toy:robot:

BlackCat

Reaction score
I would agree with Gadget but with one caveat - before you purchase your first firearm (or even shortly thereafter), go take a class locally that teaches you your legal rights and obligations as a firearms owner. And, the unfortunate thing is that your rights and obligations vary ***WIDELY*** from state to state. What could get you jailed in one state could get you praised as a hero just one state line over. And some states also have what is known as a "Castle Doctrine" in that if a home invader kicks in your front door and charges inside, do you have a legal right to unload on them or are you legally required to retreat and, if necessary, run outside and away from the house ? What class and where to take it will vary with location and state, but a good option (I don't know what state you are in but if your state has it and it's not a pain in the rear and the wallet to get into the class and take) is a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapons) permit. Now, just because you take the CCW class doesn't mean you have to apply for the permit, but a CCW class will likely be heavy on teaching the legal stuff. Different states call it different things and you may have different options other than a CCW class depending on where you live (some states make the CCW process a massive pain, there may be simpler and cheaper options especially if you never plan to carry). I would either talk to your buddies or go to a local gun store (that has good, knowledgeable and helpful staff, some of them don't) and ask them what classes are good for that purpose. Armed (yes, pun intended) with that knowledge will help you understand what your local legal rights and obligations are as a responsible firearms owner.

Last edited:

trd_sport

Reaction score
if youve never shot a gun before maybe start with a pellet gun

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
yeah i already visited 3 different shops in my area (90710) and i ran out of there, i asked just a couple simple questions and these guys swear they know everything but if you cant even answer the Caliber of the gun im looking at im NOT buyin there...so im just waiting to have some time to maybe travel a little to go to a REALLY good one but my search continues. saw a really nice gloc i liked but nothing that really caught my eye after those retards with ZERO customer service made me lose total interest

Last edited:

chatt x

Reaction score
Kimber makes great guns if your wallet can handle it. I carry an ultra shadow .45 and I love it! Trouble free shooting and plenty of knock down power! I even tested with it!! Night sights are a must IMO

justin13703

Reaction score
Looking for glock 26 new gen.

According to the guys at glock, due to the demand if you order one from them right now you can expect to recieve it around August of 2014. People must be arming themselves to the teeth right now

Reaction score
9mm. Don't go with a 380, ammo is too expensive. Even if you change your mind, weapons hold their value pretty good. So, you lose a little money if you resale it but you won't lose much. If you just want to practice, 22 is very inexpensive, especially the ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom