Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My 05 Tranny is dead.

Armenian

Reaction score
I don't post on here much....but I have a 2005 X-Runner with 52,000 miles on it and the tranny is dead. I don't race it or anything. Just drive to and from work and random places.

For the past few weeks, it had been sliding out of gear and into neutral all on its own. especially 3rd gear. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd was almost impossible-when i would engage the clutch in 3rd, it would just pop into neutral. Definitly had intermittent grinding into 3rd as well.

Yesterday, I was stuck at an intersection in 4th gear unable to move so I finally got my truck over to Toyota this morning up here in Mckinney Texas and they informed me that the transmission was completely destroyed. I was VERY lucky to get in there before 60k or else the powertrain warranty would have expired.

Toyota is paying for parts and labor on a brand new transmission to be installed tomorrow morning. They recommended a new clutch while it was open so I agreed and thats going to cost me about $500.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? hopefully the new tranny they put in is more reliable--I guess they don't make them like they used to!!

COWBELL

Reaction score
that sucks man glad you have that warranty still :)
If you can request a tranny from the 09 I think they beefed them up a little.

Alexrunner

Reaction score
I have had grinding issues that they fixed by overhauling the tranny. but nothing that serious, thn again I only have 37xxx on my 05. Do you have any mods or anything, were you driving it rough?

rich017

Reaction score
For $500 do not put a stock clutch back in. For that much you can get a Stage 2

Armenian

Reaction score
I have had grinding issues that they fixed by overhauling the tranny. but nothing that serious, thn again I only have 37xxx on my 05. Do you have any mods or anything, were you driving it rough?

no mods at all. i babied my truck too-never rode it rough.

trd_sport

Reaction score
good thing you got it in there in time for warranty!

Armenian

Reaction score
good thing you got it in there in time for warranty!

Man i dont even want to know how much a brand new tranny and labor would cost me. I'm throwing around an idea to get an extended warranty just for peace of mind...

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Isnt that a video of the stg.4

I have a Stg 2 and it does the same thing.

the blue taco runner was the one that pointed it out to me on my truck. The video does make it much louder than it actually is, as stated in the thread.

rich017

Reaction score
I have a Stg 2 and it does the same thing.

the blue taco runner was the one that pointed it out to me on my truck. The video does make it much louder than it actually is, as stated in the thread.

oh, ok. I completely forgot you have the stg.2

Our trannys suck....period

speed_raca7

Reaction score
sorry to thread jack but just wondering if our trucks would still have the warranty on the tranny even if i put the trd supercharger on myself? 5th is starting to grind bad...

XrunnIT

Reaction score
sorry to thread jack but just wondering if our trucks would still have the warranty on the tranny even if i put the trd supercharger on myself? 5th is starting to grind bad...

I had my transmission, clutch and flywheel all replaced under warranty when my clutch went out. I installed the TRD blower and all my other mods (including SS) myself. :top:

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
the stealership screwed me on my tranny been messing up long time had prob 55,000 on it took it in they told me it was my clutch master cylinder something needing reaplaced so had to spend $150 took them 3 months to get it in! and another 3 1/2 weeks to get me in, they put it in and was still messing up by popping out of second and unable to go from second to third! so they looked again and said that it was the tranny all along! but was now at 61,000 miles and they told me there was nothing they could do cause of the miles it now had! and would cost me $4,000 for a new tranny!!! it bull!

Gadget

Reaction score
You can get that tranny for $2400 brand new, but;

Your truck is still covered under warranty. It is not your fault that they did not properly diagnose and fix the problem when you first reported it.

The dealer is likely trying to get out of doing for low pay warranty pay and instead charge you full labor and the huge profit on the new transmission.

Gadget

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
the stealership screwed me on my tranny been messing up long time had prob 55,000 on it took it in they told me it was my clutch master cylinder something needing reaplaced so had to spend $150 took them 3 months to get it in! and another 3 1/2 weeks to get me in, they put it in and was still messing up by popping out of second and unable to go from second to third! so they looked again and said that it was the tranny all along! but was now at 61,000 miles and they told me there was nothing they could do cause of the miles it now had! and would cost me $4,000 for a new tranny!!! it bull!

Thats bs man!!! dont back down. they said it themselves.. "it was the tranny all along" you complained about it b4 warranty. it their fault they couldnt fix it b4 then!!!

Armenian

Reaction score

man thats unacceptable. i would fight them.

Top Bottom