Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV Oil Catch Can Question

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I like the benefit of less shit in my intake charge and the rest of the intake tract.

Its not wrong to run one, nor is it wrong not to.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Lots of people run catch cans. That is fine also, but I really doubt there is any real benefit to doing so.

G

On a boosted application such as my truck with the TRD blower. The oil that is recirculated back into the system travels through my intercooler. Hot oil on an intercooler designed to cool the air charge seems to be an issue. Preventing that from happening, installing a catch can, will reduce any/all oil that would normally get stuck on the intercooler.

A cooler intercooler is a more efficient intercooler.

After about a year of being boosted i took my intercooler out and gave it a cleaning, I wouldn't say lots of oil was washed out of the fins, but more then what i was comfortable with.

While its not an absolute must have, it does have its benefits. :top:

Gadget

Reaction score
Have you seen any difference in power on the dyno, with or without the catch can?

G

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Have you seen any difference in power on the dyno, with or without the catch can?

G

i don't expect any HP increase, it would be dumb to expect a power increase on something like that.

What I do expect is to maintain the consistency of my intercooler, and prevention of oil build up of oil on it.

A good way to see the difference is to dyno when the intercooler is completely coated with oil (as mine was prior to cleaning), then clean it then dyno again. That would be the difference a catch can would make. Wssentially what its doing is keeping the IC cleaner. Its not going to make HP.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
And on your hose connection to the valve cover

You'll want to use the valve that is towards the back of the motor on the driver side.

if someone has a picture of the valve covers, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Hmmm... lets see what is going to be better at performing the task of cooling charge air:

Option A:

mmfp_0609_07z+1999_ford_f150_lightning+core_function.jpg

1910-4251-72677.jpg

mmfp_0609_06z+1999_ford_f150_lightning+intercooler_core.jpg

Or... the elusive Option B:

1910-4251-72680.jpg

1910-4251-72679.jpg

Call me queer but im a fan of option B.

At the very least less oil in the charge air will prolong maintenance required and reduce knock potential; more power would be a bonus...

Perhaps its why some manufacturers deem it necessary to run them stock on their boosted vehicles?

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
Hmmm... lets see what is going to be better at performing the task of cooling charge air:

Option A:
mmfp_0609_07z+1999_ford_f150_lightning+core_function.jpg

1910-4251-72677.jpg

mmfp_0609_06z+1999_ford_f150_lightning+intercooler_core.jpg

Or... the elusive Option B:

1910-4251-72680.jpg

1910-4251-72679.jpg

Call me queer but im a fan of option B.

At the very least less oil in the charge air will prolong maintenance required and reduce knock potential; more power would be a bonus...

Perhaps its why some manufacturers deem it necessary to run them stock on their boosted vehicles?

Looks like this is a before and after a cleaning... I cant belive this is say 10,000 miles without a catch can and 10,000 with a catch can... lets see you intercooler before and after to make us a believer..

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Looks like this is a before and after a cleaning... I cant belive this is say 10,000 miles without a catch can and 10,000 with a catch can... lets see you intercooler before and after to make us a believer..

This isn't crazy hard to understand Steve.

Less oil polluting your charge air = better.

I don't wish to make anyone a believer, its just common sense. I am not selling catch cans.

No one said this is before and after a catch can - its before and after a cleaning DUE TO oil contamination because of an over active PCV system.

Many go to install catch cans and experience significantly less accumulation.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
maybe- maybe not... Depending on the amount of oil.. But I think your comparison is a little extreme....

What extreme comparison? The fact that oil did in fact shit all over his intercooler and decrease efficiency.

Less oil = better charge air there is no disputing that.

Common sense dude, seriously.

Explain to me your maybe not theory.

Top Bottom