Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Piecing together a system

justin13703

Reaction score
I noticed that too but it looks like it might be a temporary thing in the pic.

dramad1

Reaction score
I ran all my wires and forgot that one plus with all the sheathing on it, it is as thick as 1/0 gauge. Ill figure something out but right now it works. It was a pain to get the box in as well. I had to remove the center console to get it in. Snug fit.

dramad1

Reaction score
Update.

Avh-8400 is sweet! Only real issue I have noticed and have with it is the adjustable face/tilt of the screen and inserting sd cards/DVD's/CDs. There is a clearance issue with the double din kit, the bottom of HU wants to rub on the bottom of the double din opening. Been thinking of cutting the din kit to allow for clearance. Maybe less than a 1/4". I can push down on the din face to allow it to open and close but it's getting annoying. I have thought about putting some kind of spacers and longer bolts on the mounting brackets to allow for the hu to pop out of the dash a bit more thus allowing it to have clearance to flip open smoothly. But it would pop out the dash more. Another option would be to try to bend the brackets up a Lil. Giving the HU more clearance on bottom to be able to tilt out.
Don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards the spacers or bending the mounting brackets.
Only other issues I have is my pandora glitching on my iPhone but it's only happend for one day. And the bluetooth for receiving calls. I can't hear them but they can hear me? Still reading into it.

justin13703

Reaction score
The best thing I can think of for the clearance issue is to maybe take a dremel and grind the holes in the brackets that the radio mounts to into a kind of oval shape, grind them towards the front that way you can slide the radio out a little, then bolt it in and that should give you enough clearance.

The pandora glitching thing happens every once in a while, they're always updating the pandora app trying to fix glitches and stuff like that. As for the Bluetooth, if you haven't already I would try deleting your phone from the radio and the radio from your phone, and try pairing it again. What kind of phone do you have? iPhone? Android? Crackberry?

Last edited:

dramad1

Reaction score
justin13703 said:
The best thing I can think of for the clearance issue is to maybe take a dremel and grind the holes in the brackets that the radio mounts to into a kind of oval shape, grind them towards the front that way you can slide the radio out a little, then bolt it in and that should give you enough clearance.

The pandora glitching thing happens every once in a while, they're always updating the pandora app trying to fix glitches and stuff like that. As for the Bluetooth, if you haven't already I would try deleting your phone from the radio and the radio from your phone, and try pairing it again. What kind of phone do you have? iPhone? Android? Crackberry?

Thanks, for some ideas. I'm gonna mess around with it later this afternoon.
So the mount area that connects to the HU on the sides? I'll check it out.
I got the iPhone 4. Waiting for the five to come out so I can finally use my upgrade. The pandora glitch happened again this morning. It's the app not the HU. I cleared my opened apps and it is having trouble just opening. It worked last night but down again this morning. My wife has been having issues with her kindle fire all weekend as well and they said there Internet was having issues.
I'm gonna try the re-pairing phone to HU and HU to phone as well. Makes sense. I'll see what I can come up with

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Question, do you find that removing the face plate of the HU is difficult with the Tacoma dash kit? Putting it back on is a pain!

dramad1

Reaction score
MORT-RUNNER said:
Question, do you find that removing the face plate of the HU is difficult with the Tacoma dash kit? Putting it back on is a pain!

What I end up doing is pressing the eject button and get the tilt menu, then I press the remove face icon that shows the face tilted horizontally. I then have to press the din down to allow for the HU face to slide down and forward. I then remove face and the HU slides back inside the din. Putting the face back in is a pain. I put the face in top first then push the din down to clear the bottom on face then press on the edges of HU to lock it in. It's a pain.
I have tried removing the gap filler piece on the din kit but this did not help. The HU still has issues clearing the din kit at bottom. From the way it sits inside the dd kit, it looks like it has plenty of clearance at the top and not enough at the bottom. I'll be attempting to bend the brackets up a touch to get the HU a Lil more snug near the top hopefully allowing more clearance at the bottom.
If this does not work I will try dremel ing the brackets that screws into the HU to ovals like Justin said to try and get more clearance this way. But if bending the brackets does not work, I'm not sure the dremel ing will have any effect on clearance and may have to try the longer mounting bolts for brackets with some spacers to allow the HU face to stick out of the din kit enough to give it clearance to be able to tilt and slide out and open. If that fails I will have to figure a way to cut the bottom of dd opening and still have a clean look.
As of now I'm just forcing the bottom of the din kit down long enough for the face to open and close. Sucks but it works. I don't want to mess the motor up on HU that controls tilt and eject feature so I'd like to fix this clearance issue soon. I am always removing the face when not in car in fear of some punk seeing it and smashing my windows and stealing it. I got the 5901 but I don't think it would stop a smash and grabber. Alot of scandalous people out there.

Moneyblind

Reaction score
I settled on a cheap 1400dvd :) Does all I need...just doesnt have the ipod connecter out the back :thumbdown:

Great information in this thread; I could see myself spending ALOT of money on a system.

justin13703

Reaction score
What I end up doing is pressing the eject button and get the tilt menu, then I press the remove face icon that shows the face tilted horizontally. I then have to press the din down to allow for the HU face to slide down and forward. I then remove face and the HU slides back inside the din. Putting the face back in is a pain. I put the face in top first then push the din down to clear the bottom on face then press on the edges of HU to lock it in. It's a pain.
I have tried removing the gap filler piece on the din kit but this did not help. The HU still has issues clearing the din kit at bottom. From the way it sits inside the dd kit, it looks like it has plenty of clearance at the top and not enough at the bottom. I'll be attempting to bend the brackets up a touch to get the HU a Lil more snug near the top hopefully allowing more clearance at the bottom.
If this does not work I will try dremel ing the brackets that screws into the HU to ovals like Justin said to try and get more clearance this way. But if bending the brackets does not work, I'm not sure the dremel ing will have any effect on clearance and may have to try the longer mounting bolts for brackets with some spacers to allow the HU face to stick out of the din kit enough to give it clearance to be able to tilt and slide out and open. If that fails I will have to figure a way to cut the bottom of dd opening and still have a clean look.
As of now I'm just forcing the bottom of the din kit down long enough for the face to open and close. Sucks but it works. I don't want to mess the motor up on HU that controls tilt and eject feature so I'd like to fix this clearance issue soon. I am always removing the face when not in car in fear of some punk seeing it and smashing my windows and stealing it. I got the 5901 but I don't think it would stop a smash and grabber. Alot of scandalous people out there.
Im not too sure how the spacer thing would work, I cant exactly remember how the radio is mounted in there though. I figure the only way to space the radio out will also move the whole dash kit out which wont really do anything, I could be wrong though. Maybe that would work with the metra kits, I have a scosche so that might be why I dont get it lol. I doubt youll be able to bend those metal brackets though.

dramad1

Reaction score
By some kind of miracle the face of HU is now clearing the din with out rubbing. Don't know I didn't do anything. I'm thinking it's from me pulling down on bottom of din a few times plus the heat, maybe made it settle better????
The HU connects to the stock mounting plates. I removed them from stock radio and screwed them into the side of new HU.
My plan for the spacers was to put the spacers where the bolts screw mounting plate to the dash. The four 10 mm bolts. I was just gonna get longer bolts and see how it would work. I also ordered the schoshe din kit but I wanted it in blk so they sent me the metra kit. Booo. It will work though.
For now I'm going to leave the dd face alone because it seems to be clearing fine now with no rubbing. I do t know why but it is. I washed and vacuumed the interior yesterday and put some protectant on the dash and center console. It seems like every time I show it love, it returns the favor. Seems to runn smoother, wants to go faster, stuff like the din clearance issue works it self out. It's like that movie Carrie. Lol. Love my x!
If it starts rubbing again I'm going to have to figure something out. Also I re-paired my phone via blue tooth and that got my hands free
working great now.
Roof will have to wait until I move. In the process of buying a home. It's in escrow right now, should close by the end of the month. I'm nervious and excited. Been dumping all my money at it by making a good offer witch they accepted and inspections, good faith checks and misc stuff.
Future plans are finish deadening the roof, install coupes oil pan protector, peel the interior dip and make it more perminent with paint for plastic, arm rest fabric, maybe door sills, rims, rear bumper mod, Trd booster, sways and bbk.
Not in any particular order. Lol. No rush, it'll get there. Oh yeah did you ever find out what star socket I'll need to remove/flip that bar under passengers seat?

justin13703

Reaction score
Sweet I'm glad it is all working out. I'm not sure about the torx bit for the bar under the seat, I think I threw out the bolts with the bar. I know it was pretty big though lol that's all I know. Sorry man. Just go to autozone and buy a set, use the one you need, then return it lol. That's what I did when I needed a big ass hex socket when I put in the sender for my oil pressure.

justin13703

Reaction score
Hey man any more updates? Everything still sounding good? Has anything else been added or changed?

dramad1

Reaction score
Just saw this right now. Well I still haven't deadened the roof but I do have enough raammat to get it done.
I just bought a house and have been busy moving and unpacking. Down side to new house is I don't have a garage to work in, I'm working on a solution for an area I can have to work on the x and any Lil projects.
My system is still bumping and the sub is nice and broken in now. I haven't had any issues other than the iPhone 5 coming out and me having to find a way to hook it up to the HU since the plug is different than pervious versions. I Recieved an email from pioneer to update the software on the avh-8400. I have to download it on my computer then save to a memory card or flash drive to be able to update the HU. So I got to figure that all out and see what it's all about.
I was wanting to get a few new background for the HU so I'll have to figure out how to do this as well.
Overall I'm very satisfied with the 8400 and love using pandora as well as net flicks and navigation via iPhone. The break bypass works great, no issues other than having to pay attention to the road when watching movies, I use it mainly for my kids when they are with me. Doors speakers are crisp and clean sounding and the sub bumps.
Things to do, big 3, raammat the roof, software update, move box so I can get my jack and lug/ tire bar thingy out just in case, battery terminals- witch I have had since original install just never put them on, flip that bar on the underside of passenger seat so I can slide the seat forward and back.
You guys really came through in helping me out getting this system all pieced together and installed. It bumps and haven't had any issues. I love it. Just what the x needed. Lol.
Thanks again fellas! Now if anyone can recommend a good flash drive or memory card that I can use for my music and that software update, let me know, I haven't used this feature yet on the HU. Also if anyone knows how I can get different backgrounds let me know. Much appreciated.

justin13703

Reaction score
Just saw this right now. Well I still haven't deadened the roof but I do have enough raammat to get it done.
I just bought a house and have been busy moving and unpacking. Down side to new house is I don't have a garage to work in, I'm working on a solution for an area I can have to work on the x and any Lil projects.
My system is still bumping and the sub is nice and broken in now. I haven't had any issues other than the iPhone 5 coming out and me having to find a way to hook it up to the HU since the plug is different than pervious versions. I Recieved an email from pioneer to update the software on the avh-8400. I have to download it on my computer then save to a memory card or flash drive to be able to update the HU. So I got to figure that all out and see what it's all about.
I was wanting to get a few new background for the HU so I'll have to figure out how to do this as well.
Overall I'm very satisfied with the 8400 and love using pandora as well as net flicks and navigation via iPhone. The break bypass works great, no issues other than having to pay attention to the road when watching movies, I use it mainly for my kids when they are with me. Doors speakers are crisp and clean sounding and the sub bumps.
Things to do, big 3, raammat the roof, software update, move box so I can get my jack and lug/ tire bar thingy out just in case, battery terminals- witch I have had since original install just never put them on, flip that bar on the underside of passenger seat so I can slide the seat forward and back.
You guys really came through in helping me out getting this system all pieced together and installed. It bumps and haven't had any issues. I love it. Just what the x needed. Lol.
Thanks again fellas! Now if anyone can recommend a good flash drive or memory card that I can use for my music and that software update, let me know, I haven't used this feature yet on the HU. Also if anyone knows how I can get different backgrounds let me know. Much appreciated.
I would get at least a 2 gig card depending on the size of the update you need to run. I have a 4 gig that I leave in mine and it was big enough to do the map update a few months ago so a 2 gig for yours should be fine. Its usually a simple process to update the pioneer radios, and they usually give instructions of how to do it on their website. As far as putting pictures on there, I may have to research that because Ive never had an AVH series so Im not exactly sure on that. If you cant get around to doing the full Big 3 for a while, the easiest thing to do is just throw in an additional battery to frame ground using the same gauge wire that you used for your amps. This alone should help out a bit, and is pretty simple to do. Im glad everything is working good and sounds good.

Iggy08

Reaction score
holy crap, just spent like 2 hours reading your thread (not even done) but I should be doing home work!! lol Great questions though, definitely coming back here when I do my install.

JFrame

Reaction score
Finally finished this whole thread. Now to start building my wish list and picking away at it.

Iggy08

Reaction score
I never finished, congrats lol. But I got enough and I'm pretty damn happy how my setup sounds :-D

Top Bottom