Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pressure Plate Failed CC Clutch *pics*

X-roller

Reaction score
Wow...did not notice that they carry act clutches too...nice! Now I know, what I'm getting next. :)

Funny...I had no issues what so ever doing, 2 gymkhanas, 3 drift events and half dozen autocrosses, 2 different open skid pad events and countless adventures out doing street drifting....on my stock of pan...and as you off all people should know, xroller, my motor never had any oiling issues...though, for some reason it wanted to eat a screw...:laugh:

Lol yeah man! They just started carrying them! I got quoted from them already. Just waiting on one more person to quote me on a act and ill be picking one up.

Yeah I know! I have drifted the hell out of mine and never had a knock or anything until one day I was stupid and decided on taking an on ramp too fast and hadn't checked my oil since my maintenance light had came on! Yes... I know.... Stupid.... But it kicked me in the ass and taught me a hard lesson... Check your damn oil dummy if you are about to go have fun! I was a quart low.... :( I just think its funny that out of everything I had done about beating on that truck an on ramp is what cost me my motor. :laugh: I don't see how people doing donuts have knocking problems.... I beat the living crap out of mine and it held up just fine until I did a quick turn on low oil.... I just think there is more to it for all those peeps that have had knocking problems due to some simple donuts... I just cant see that since i did it numerous times with no problems until I did it with low oil and it was only a simple quick turn!

Had u and Kevin mixed up, some reason thought u were the drifter.

Ha no way man! I don't have those kinds of skills yet especially with this amazing diff we have that is almost impossible to change directions in...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol yeah man! They just started carrying them! I got quoted from them already. Just waiting on one more person to quote me on a act and ill be picking one up.

Yeah I know! I have drifted the hell out of mine and never had a knock or anything until one day I was stupid and decided on taking an on ramp too fast and hadn't checked my oil since my maintenance light had came on! Yes... I know.... Stupid.... But it kicked me in the ass and taught me a hard lesson... Check your damn oil dummy if you are about to go have fun! I was a quart low.... :( I just think its funny that out of everything I had done about beating on that truck an on ramp is what cost me my motor. :laugh: I don't see how people doing donuts have knocking problems.... I beat the living crap out of mine and it held up just fine until I did a quick turn on low oil.... I just think there is more to it for all those peeps that have had knocking problems due to some simple donuts... I just cant see that since i did it numerous times with no problems until I did it with low oil and it was only a simple quick turn!

Ha no way man! I don't have those kinds of skills yet especially with this amazing diff we have that is almost impossible to change directions in...

Do a donut just right, and you will see.

Hit the clover on ramp within the right conditions, and you will see.

X-roller

Reaction score
Do a donut just right, and you will see.

Hit the clover on ramp within the right conditions, and you will see.

The only reason I don't see this being an issue is because this truck was put on a skid pad and it pulled almost a G on the skid pad!.... you don't think that pinned the oil to one side??..... that is why I don't think that donuts and 180 turns are what is causing our motors to take a crap

WCD

Reaction score
Lateral g is only half of it. The other half is RPM. If Toyota skidpan tested this truck at or near redline, they probably would have had some engine failures.

X-roller

Reaction score
Lateral g is only half of it. The other half is RPM. If Toyota skidpan tested this truck at or near redline, they probably would have had some engine failures.

now while that may be true.... the RPM does increase the suction of the oil pump since the oil pump is RPM dependent which in my eyes would decrease the chances of oil starvation but then again it could lead to it because the oil demand is not there for the amount of suction it is doing so I see what you mean by it.... I may be wrong but I do think the main cause of engine failures is related to low oil and having fun at the same time than just our oil sump being so shallow.... only complaint I have about our oil pan is that it's not baffled... other than that not really to much to say.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The only reason I don't see this being an issue is because this truck was put on a skid pad and it pulled almost a G on the skid pad!.... you don't think that pinned the oil to one side??..... that is why I don't think that donuts and 180 turns are what is causing our motors to take a crap

Seriously???? Have you even thoroughly looked at the lower oil pan, in conjunction witht the sump?

Why do you think that I worked with Coupe to bring the spacer to light?

Don't talk to me about this.

X-roller

Reaction score
Seriously???? Have you even thoroughly looked at the lower oil pan, in conjunction witht the sump?

Why do you think that I worked with Coupe to bring the spacer to light?

Don't talk to me about this.

then why not make the spacer a form of a baffle?... I think that would have been a way better idea than just adding oil to a shallow pan. The pan design itself is the problem not the amount of oil that goes into it... :top: The oil pan that coupe made is a great idea but the spacer only adds oil and doesn't really take away the shallow pan...

turbomach1

Reaction score
Had oiling problem on my civic. Changed to a better baffled oil
Pan moroso makes, haven't had a problem since. It's the same qt pan.

Armond30

Reaction score
I guess for the record, I can say thus does happen regularly with aggressive driving on the comp clutch pressure plate. I have had 2 changed by comp clutch in Ga. that had this issue. My current one I fear has 0 tabs left and as a result, drags the clutch disk at high rpms (above 3k). These tabs are to clamp the actual plate to the diaphragm spring and lift the plate off of the disk. It feels like nothing is wrong when driving normally because the diaphragm still lifts off of the plate, but centrifugal force and the arrangement of the pressure plate retaining straps (the things that look like leaf springs) allow pressure to be restored to the plate at high rpm, causing clutch drag. Come tax return time, I am going to install an act plate and hopefully have better results. This truck is the only vehicle I have ever seen have this problem :(

Gadget

Reaction score
Now sure what you mean about 0 tabs left.

Anyway, the pressure plates shipped in the CC Clutch kits for the 1GR are very different than in the past.

In the past, like all other clutch companies used stock Toyota/Aisian pressure plates. Some disassembled and reworked them while most just painted them and called it a performance plate.

The current pressure plate is a virgin build from scratch and all the known weak points addressed and significantly improved.

Just something to keep in mind.

G

Armond30

Reaction score
In the last picture, there is a piece of metal that looks to be jagedly broken / short in that view hole. Originally that piece of metal wraps above/on top of that visible section of the pressure plate spring that can be seen through that viewing hole. I am calling that curved piece of metal that is now broken a "tab". My clutches all had three of these tabs that could be seen, and they always mysteriously become broken (obviously due to abuse, but I didn't buy a prius....I know, I know). Nice to know that CC has changed the pressure plate design. They are good guys.

Top Bottom