Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

reg cab x I NEED YOUR HELP

M

Marine Tacoma0311

when i first started looking at trucks i wanted a x runner then learned i couldnt afford it right now so i went a couple steps down and got a 4 cyn tacoma the thing that tourned me on to the xrunner was the body kit so i joined customtacos.com and asked anyone did they know any thing about putting a x runner body kit on a reg cab they turned me to you how much would it cost and what do i need to do?:adore:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marine - you've come to the right place. RegCabX isn't on here every day so your best bet to reach him would probably be a Private Message (PM). You can send him a PM by clicking here.

Also, TRD_Sport is looking to cover his truck to an X-Runner and has some good information about the conversion as well. He may speak up on this thread, or you can PM him by clicking here.

Good luck in the conversion!

06XR-SW

Reaction score
i have been in search of the body kit and have gotten some quotes on the pieces that are needed and have been working with trd_sport!! you can pm me if you need some info!:top:

wshsbears

Reaction score
there are some pretty technical fabrications needed if your going from the x-runner access cab body kit to the regular cab. its just mods on the side skirts under the doors with making them the length of the single door and having the correct flare out under there. another thing to consider would be: do u want the complete x-runner suspension set-up? that will rack up the bill pretty quick.
do u want an X-brace
do u want x-runner wheels

06XR-SW

Reaction score
does any1 have the pics of the X-brace and where to get em also? :dontknow:

REG CAB X

Reaction score
When I built my truck I got extremely lucky. Gumby had just started on building his Sema XR and was getting rid of all the body kit and suspension/chassis parts that were specific for the XR. The only thing I didn't have other than the 4.0/6sp was the front struts. Everything else was how a single cab X would have been from Toyota. I had all the X braces and the rear sway bar and rear bilstiens. The front sway bar is the same on the regular 5lug tacomas as it is on the XR. I was quoted over $5400 for all the body kit and fasteners from the dealer. That wasn't including any of the suspension or chassis parts. I bought everything from Gumby for $1,200. :rock:

As far as modding the side skirts goes, it is really pretty easy to do. I cut 17 3/4 inches right out of the middle in between the buldges. There is just enough room to cut the skirt without cutting into the buldges. You also cut the mounting hardware in the middle so mounting points on the skirts still line up. All the mounting points lined up with the holes and captured nuts on the bottom of the reg cab. It is kind of hard to describe.

visracing.com sells a fiberglass reproduction of the XR kit for the reg cabs. http://www.visracing.com/oldcatalog/index.php?cPath=26_31_444 . They show a pic of the X-Runner but the kit is for the reg cab. Probably be a lot more cost effective to just buy their kit than trying to build it with Toyota parts. Unless you get lucky and find a XR in a scrap yard that has everything intact.

As for the suspension parts I would definitely reccommend getting the XR stuff. It makes a huge difference compared to the reg 5lug tacoma in the way it handles and rides.

You can see in this pic where I cut the skirt
DSC06623.jpg

DSC07818.jpg

Here you can see where I cut the mounting hardware.
DSC07827.jpg

Here are pics of the X braces
DSC07423.jpg

DSC07425.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

trd_sport

Reaction score
does any1 have the pics of the X-brace and where to get em also? :dontknow:
This is the X-brace:top:
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...39&make=34&model=Tacoma&year=2005&catalogid=2

MarineTacoma0311.....you'll have to go through the dealer for the body kit pieces and mounting hardware, unless you get lucky and find a scraped one. They will want to charge you around 3k. You can either purchase a new rear and front bumber(the body kit pieces need slits to go into) or cut up your current one. Let us know if you need anything else...here to help:top:

M

Marine Tacoma0311

Marine - you've come to the right place. RegCabX isn't on here every day so your best bet to reach him would probably be a Private Message (PM). You can send him a PM by clicking here.

Also, TRD_Sport is looking to cover his truck to an X-Runner and has some good information about the conversion as well. He may speak up on this thread, or you can PM him by clicking here.

Good luck in the conversion!

reg cab x doesnt recive private messages

M

Marine Tacoma0311

there are some pretty technical fabrications needed if your going from the x-runner access cab body kit to the regular cab. its just mods on the side skirts under the doors with making them the length of the single door and having the correct flare out under there. another thing to consider would be: do u want the complete x-runner suspension set-up? that will rack up the bill pretty quick.
do u want an X-brace
do u want x-runner wheels

more then likely im hopeing i can pay some one for the fabrication because i know nothing about it but the suspension and wheels that is a no i already have rims black with a chrom lip and i plan on having it bagged some day but what is the x brace?

M

Marine Tacoma0311

When I built my truck I got extremely lucky. Gumby had just started on building his Sema XR and was getting rid of all the body kit and suspension/chassis parts that were specific for the XR. The only thing I didn't have other than the 4.0/6sp was the front struts. Everything else was how a single cab X would have been from Toyota. I had all the X braces and the rear sway bar and rear bilstiens. The front sway bar is the same on the regular 5lug tacomas as it is on the XR. I was quoted over $5400 for all the body kit and fasteners from the dealer. That wasn't including any of the suspension or chassis parts. I bought everything from Gumby for $1,200. :rock:

As far as modding the side skirts goes, it is really pretty easy to do. I cut 17 3/4 inches right out of the middle in between the buldges. There is just enough room to cut the skirt without cutting into the buldges. You also cut the mounting hardware in the middle so mounting points on the skirts still line up. All the mounting points lined up with the holes and captured nuts on the bottom of the reg cab. It is kind of hard to describe.

visracing.com sells a fiberglass reproduction of the XR kit for the reg cabs. http://www.visracing.com/oldcatalog/index.php?cPath=26_31_444 . They show a pic of the X-Runner but the kit is for the reg cab. Probably be a lot more cost effective to just buy their kit than trying to build it with Toyota parts. Unless you get lucky and find a XR in a scrap yard that has everything intact.

As for the suspension parts I would definitely reccommend getting the XR stuff. It makes a huge difference compared to the reg 5lug tacoma in the way it handles and rides.

dude u r a god that truck is bad a$$ i have read all the post and i really want this done but lookn at the prices i see that i might have to take out another loan haha but when i get the money i will drive to where ever u r to have this done and pay u for the work you can check out my truck at http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind....viewPicture&friendID=39707243&albumId=989275 or
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931990

Last edited by a moderator:

i_ski

Reaction score
Here is the body kit by VIS http://www.yourhotcar.com/product/list/All/Toyota/Tacoma/Body_Kits_&_Conversions/Body_Kits

And the rear sway bar.
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=2005&graphicID=8512750&callout=5&catalogid=2

As part of the X-runner package there is a "X" brace in the rear and 2 supports up front to add torsional rigidity which helps us get that amazing .91G's in the skid pad. With the lower weight and shorter wheel base and all of the x-runner goodies you might well be able to do even better than that :top: The aforementioned parts are #9(2 required) and #11
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=2005&graphicID=8512125&callout=9&catalogid=2

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
dude u r a god that truck is bad a$$ i have read all the post and i really want this done but lookn at the prices i see that i might have to take out another loan haha but when i get the money i will drive to where ever u r to have this done and pay u for the work you can check out my truck at http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind....viewPicture&friendID=39707243&albumId=989275 or
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931990

At first I thought instead of a gun rack on your rear window you had a light saber rack!:top:

nylesnakamasan

Reaction score
Oooooh that's a nice little xr body kit mod for the regcabs!!! I am very interested and thought about this for a while! :rock:

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Oooooh that's a nice little xr body kit mod for the regcabs!!! I am very interested and thought about this for a while! :rock:

Sorry! Don't mean to thread jack but....NYLES!!! About time you got on here. Ha! Ha!

Thats all!

05runner

Reaction score
Wow that regcab came out great. Total nice job and im liking the color too:top:

ICEMAN

"I drive in the dirt"
Reaction score
I have not seen REGCABX's ride before, Mad props it looks sharp!!!

XRLover25

Reaction score
Marine Tacoma 0311, if you want to see a real XR, look for the real thing cruising the streets in your hood!!! I'm the only one with the cover and the wing in that whole area! You can't miss me, unless we race! Then, sadly, you will be very behing me. HA! If you have any Q's or probs look me up, I am usually not too busy on the weekends and can be reached during the week, depending on my work schedule. Good LUCK and welcome! (Don't y'all deploy every year? How can you not afford an XR?)

m3dragon

Reaction score
I got a quote from a dealers for the full kit was 3300 to get all the X-runner skirt parts. Sound about right?

Also the vis is fiberglass right? Is the OE X runner one ploy or fiberglass?

trd_sport

Reaction score
I got a quote from a dealers for the full kit was 3300 to get all the X-runner skirt parts. Sound about right?

Also the vis is fiberglass right? Is the OE X runner one ploy or fiberglass?
3300 is MSRP...haggle with them and it should come down.

Top Bottom