Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Review: BrakePerformance.com + TRD Pads

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is going to be a short and sweet review (and I know I'm not the first) but I definitely did want to weigh in on this. I had considered for a long time upgrading to the TRD BBK but could just NEVER bring myself to drop $2000 on brakes. However after nearly rear-ending someone who slammed on brakes in front of me while I was towing, I have felt that some kind of a brake upgrade was indeed needed.

So I decided about 6-8 weeks ago to go ahead and do the Slotted, Drilled rotors from BrakePerformance.com and the TRD Ceramic/Kevlar Pads. As many have said, the brake dust is quite ridiculous. In a mere week of driving to work and back (all 8 mins either way), I have a significant amount of dust and 2 weeks of that my rims are solidly coated. The smell of the pads under heavy braking is something to get used to, but it just reassures me that they're doing their job.

I've really stomped on the brakes a few times in the past couple weeks and I can definitively say that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in this setup over stock. The first time that I really stepped on them from a 50mph roll, I seriously felt like the ass end of the truck was gonna come all the way over. :laugh: Very impressive.

So if you are looking for a brake upgrade and only want to drop about $250 total, I think this is a worthwhile option worth checking out!

Sorry no pics... they're just rotors and pads though. :top:

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
what is the difference btw slotted, drilled and dimple drilled and sloted?

ntinhri

Reaction score
I'm running same set up! Slotted drilled trd pads. They rock.

Slay0r

Reaction score
thx for the review. Im thinking of doing the BP drilled n slotted with the ebc yellow stuff

how much were the TRD pads?

Vince77

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I think I will be doing the same real soon. My friggin rotors are a little warped (thanks to idiot drivers in this shitty Sacramento traffic).

I don't like the idea that much brake dust. How are the EBCs?

Slay0r

Reaction score
Ebc yellows are right at $100 for the pair

rich017

Reaction score
A very good quality brake pad makes all the difference in the world.

There is a reason why you can get $25 pads from auto zone and the $120 ones online, etc...

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
what is the difference btw slotted, drilled and dimple drilled and sloted?
slotted helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the bite characteristics of the pad when is claps on the rotor. drilled rotors are about the same but are more pron to crack under extreme use.

rich017

Reaction score
slotted helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the bite characteristics of the pad when is claps on the rotor. drilled rotors are about the same but are more pron to crack under extreme use.

Also to help the heat and gases that are created during braking to escape

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
i actually had the BP Dimpled and Slotted rotors with EBC yellow stuff pads and they stopped pretty good. Any good brake pad unfortunatley will leave alot of dust behind do to the compound make up, i actually have the rotors sitting in a box with the pads would be willing to sell if someone would be interested, they have about 1500 miles on them would sell both pads and rotors for prolly $215 shipped. (hi and alaska and canada would be another 25 due to shipping and stupid customs) shoot me a pm and let me know.

reason for removal was because i upgraded. hehehe

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
EBC

yellow sutff...=tits

Brake dust...chrome lip, black in a week...

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
how much were the TRD pads?

TRD Pads were $85.00. I had considered going with the EBC Yellow or the Hawk Performance but I knew that the TRD pads were tried and true and didn't want to possibly have to buy twice. Like I said, I was really looking for the most cost-effective upgrade with maximum improvement in stopping. Then again, it would be nice to have a side-by-side comparison between the TRD pads and EBC pads --- only way to do that is for the same person to run both and report back if there was any noticeable difference.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
You either wear out the pads or the rotors, that's how it goes (soft pad or harder pad).

Slay0r

Reaction score
hmm, this may b swaying my decision toward the TRD pads. they're cheaper and from what i understand have the edge on bite/stopping power.

Im use to brake dust, i used to have visible dust just by going aroudn the block in my old vehicle

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
thanks for the review man, its always good to hear confirmation of a good product before purchasing. id like to get mine in the next couple months. When i do upgrade, i will be going with the EBCs so we'll have a few different pads tried with the rotors

Edit: Anyone know if they make the "Blue Stuff" for our trucks?

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I think I will be doing the same real soon. My friggin rotors are a little warped (thanks to idiot drivers in this shitty Sacramento traffic).

I don't like the idea that much brake dust. How are the EBCs?

Come to Houston, and you're rotors would really get warped....lol

A mythology that has affected the minds of all, from the use by many who have purchased "affordable" drilled rotors. Otherwise known as cheaper, but the still want the look.

I saw another member's dimpled and slotted (not drilled) rotors this past weekend. Asked why he had them off, and said because the shop that was going to resurface them wouldn't because there were stress cracks all over both rotors.

You get what you pay for. Not saying that he intended, by any means, to buy a cheap set of rotors, as I am sure that they were still a pretty coin. Compared to drilled and slotted rotors from high end "expensive" brake companies, they don't have near the same problem. They made from better compnents, to a higher standard. As thus, they are employed on vehicles that stress them a lot harder, and have to perform.

Not the same as something that is made to look like the real deal. Is it worth the money? How safe do you feel when you stop?

Last edited:

Slay0r

Reaction score
good thing about BrakePerformance.com they have lifetime gaurantees, and they will just send you out new ones if stress cracks appear

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
Oh hell yeah you get what you pay for. there was a guy on the 4runner forum that bought ebay brake pads and rotors and they didn't last long. they only lasted about two or three months. I do remember when I got my stoptech rotors I asked what do they recommend in terms of slotted, drilled or both and they said slotted. as for pads they really couldn't say as there are to many variables. so I just went with TRD because, well... their TRD and they make good stuff.

Slay0r

Reaction score
wheres cant i get the TRD pads, besides a stealership

Top Bottom