Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Spotted: Hyundai Genesis Coupe!

Murderface

Reaction score
No thanks....I would NEVER NEVER EVER EVER buy a Hyundia:thumpdown:

5000XD

Reaction score
I saw a test on the 3.8 vs a 370z and mustang. It lost. I highly doubt the turbo would do any better.

07XRsteve

Reaction score
one came up to my work yesterday i wasn't impressed :thumpdown: not my style

07SWB

Reaction score
i would buy it way before a 370z.. i think the 370 looks like a Maxima and Gremlin fawked and a 370z popped out..

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
The Genesis 2.0T engine is shared in the Lancer Ralliart.

This engine has tons of aftermarket support, much rather have it over the V6.

BlackCat

Reaction score
I read in either Car & Driver or Motortrend (can't remember which), they said that the 2.0T had the same engine as the EVO VIII and was coming in the Genesis Coupe in a tuned down version and they said with some tuning you can up the HP significantly.. I dunno how true this is but i'll go look the article up when I get home...

The engine itself was the product of a joint venture between Hyundai, Mitsu and Chrysler. This specific engine got beefed up internals to work with the turbo and it is also shared with the Lancer. I don't know if the turbo itself is the same as the Lancer, though.

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
I dunno... for what it is,,,its ok..
but not my cup of tea personally

Macda

Reaction score
There is one at the dealer ship at my house, it's a coupe but not sure if 2.0 or 3.8

5000XD

Reaction score
The Genesis 2.0T engine is shared in the Lancer Ralliart.

This engine has tons of aftermarket support, much rather have it over the V6.

That I didn't know. I would still go with the 370z though :laugh:

BlackCat

Reaction score
Well, judging from a few of the responses here, this reminds me of the time back in the 70's and 80's when people still didn't want to buy Toyotas, Hondas and Datsuns (for those of you not old enough to know, that's what Nissan used to be called). Back then, a lot of people still had the opinon that Japanese cars were tinny junkers where all you had to do was take a nickel and scrape the paint off the doors to reveal the soda pop or bear logos underneath (suggesting the sheetmetal was nothing more than straightened-out beer can metal). Yes, the first Japanese cars to roll off the boats were a little lacking. But, they certainly got better with time. And what about Lexus ? People back in the late 80's scoffed at the idea of coughing up $36,000 for an LS400 (a bargain back then). Today, people tend to view Japanese cars in a somewhat more positive manner.

I think Hyundai is suffering the same problem. The cars are much much improved over the tinny '86 Excel. Yes, the Excel was junk. Nobody denies that - Not even Hyundai. But, whatabout modern times ? Hyundai outranked Toyota in the JD Powers and Associates quality survey just a couple years ago. The Genesis sedan is the 2009 North American Car of the Year. The Genesis sedan's 32valve Tau V8 was awarded one of Wards ten best engines for 2009. The Sonata, Accent and Elantra/Avante have won various "car of the year" or "editor's choice" awards in other countries. GM's own former CEO forecasted Hyundai to be GM's biggest upcoming worry. Yes, their cars might not be quite up to Toyota/Honda standards just yet, but they're definitely very close. And all this from a company that only began building cars 40yrs ago.

It's about time that credit be given where it's due.

XRYDER

Reaction score
I'll be test driving the 3.8 on Saturday. I won't buy it but i want to see what it's all about. Here in Canada, a 370Z goes for about 50 grand, a fully loaded Genesis goes for 35,000. Nothing compares with the Genesis as far as the dollar per fun ratio. Well....i'll decide that on Saturday. :biggrin:

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
Here is something that would possibly change your mind when thinking about the Genesis.

When the Hyundai Genesis Coupe was announced, there was no doubt it would find favor with the aftermarket - particularly when equipped with the turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four. With all the necessary exhaust hardware already in place, it was just a matter of (R&D) time before enterprising tuners began swapping turbos, figuring out engine management and hitting the dyno.

While 0-60 magazine has its own thing going on with the help of Design Craft, Beyond Redline is cooking up its own turbo kit that utilizes a V-Band adapter that allows different turbos to be fitted while retaining the stock manifold. The company currently has a prototype manufactured and claims that almost any Garrett turbo can fit (we're thinking a GT35R would do the turbo'd four nicely). After installing the adapter, fitting a GT30 turbo, 600cc injectors, tuning it with an AEM FIC and running 16 pounds of boost, they pulled off a 306 hp and 245 lb-ft run on a Dynojet, and later put out 344 hp to the rear wheels.

Since the kit is still in early development Beyond Redline hasn't announced availability or pricing for the complete package, but judging by their work so far, it's right around the corner. And for those who chose the 3.8-liter V6 Genesis Coupe, SeoulfulRacing (out of Korea) already has a supercharged, 430-hp version for sale across the Pacific and hopes to bring that kit to the States in the near future.

NixXR462

Reaction score
I thought these cars were cool when I was looking at all hype of them over the internet but I went and saw one in person last week and it just doesn't do it for me. Looks like a chicks car. I'd imagine it'd be a fun car to drive though and has alot of potential for power.

x-stealth

Reaction score
Well, ive seen a few of them here in Korea so far. I really like them. I am actually thinking about getting one. They get killer gas mpg. And i think they look really nice.

5000XD

Reaction score
Indeed, there was a thread somewhere with a few good looking Genesus coupes. By the way the Genesis sedan with the V8 scores pretty good against big BMW and Mercedes cars.

Top Bottom