Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Supercharge me

LC_XR

Reaction score
You can't buy the sst(special service tool) from toyota but you can buy it from tool vendors like snap-on. I sent you a pm with some other info

trd_sport

Reaction score
You can't buy the sst(special service tool) from toyota but you can buy it from tool vendors like snap-on. I sent you a pm with some other info
Thanks bro.......any idea on the part number for the tool? or cost?
pm sent back

LC_XR

Reaction score
No idea on the number, if you give me the toyota part number i can look up the item and i have a parts catalog for the sst and snap-on will be hear on tuesday. If all you need is something to hold the crank pulley i have a large chain wrench that will work. That is what we use at lexus to get the crank bolt loose on the 2jz that is in the IS and GS.

LC_XR

Reaction score
And yes a 1/2" impact and a 22mm socket should be all you need to get the crank bolt off

Dallas

Reaction score
scan tool

do you think it would be cost effective to buy a 3500.00 scan tool, or get the blower dealer installed for 635.00?

LC_XR

Reaction score
I believe you can install the S/C yourself and go to the dealership and have them perform the reflash. I have looked for the reflash on my scan tool at work(Lexus of Clear Lake) so i can help trd sport, and i can't find it so i think you have to go to a toyota dealership.

trd_sport

Reaction score
do you think it would be cost effective to buy a 3500.00 scan tool, or get the blower dealer installed for 635.00?
is this some kind of trick question:laugh:
I believe you can install the S/C yourself and go to the dealership and have them perform the reflash. I have looked for the reflash on my scan tool at work(Lexus of Clear Lake) so i can help trd sport, and i can't find it so i think you have to go to a toyota dealership.
thanks for looking out :top:

trd_sport

Reaction score
Bump for info....I guess I'll try and do this with just an impact??? It's going to suck though if I find I need that tool and have to put it all back together....also what about torqing it back on??? will the impact be sufficient??? stupid tool:laugh:

XrunDan

Reaction score
You know, you better just let me borrow the blower for a few days and test her out, you wouldnt want any damage now would you?

I would use a torque wrench rather than the impact (unless of course it is a torque impact ;) )

trd_sport

Reaction score
I think I figured out that the sst tools listed are a combo wrench and holder for the pulley for torqing the new bolt and pulley on. I should be able to get the bolt off with an impact, but will I be able to torque it back with the impact? Kinda thinking out loud...guess I'll just figure it out:rolleyez: :dontknow:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I think I figured out that the sst tools listed are a combo wrench and holder for the pulley for torqing the new bolt and pulley on. I should be able to get the bolt off with an impact, but will I be able to torque it back with the impact? Kinda thinking out loud...guess I'll just figure it out:rolleyez: :dontknow:

Check out step #14 in this write-up, maybe this will be of some help to you :top:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

trd_sport

Reaction score
Check out step #14 in this write-up, maybe this will be of some help to you :top:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/
Thanks steven...now if I only had a welder:laugh:
ahhh im jealous matt... :motz:
dont be Nate...this is the one time I wish I had a manual that I could put in gear and not have to worry about the pulley turning:thumpdown:

heres the dilema...buy a compressor and impact only to find out I'll still need the tool for the pulley...or pay Toyota and then not have a compressor or impact and lose a ton of pride:thumpdown: :laugh:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you checked any of your local parts stores to see if they have this tool as loaner/rental? When doing a search online for the SST # it appears that this exact tool is used for a number of different makes and models so they may have one available for you to use. Just a suggestion :biggrin:

trd_sport

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you checked any of your local parts stores to see if they have this tool as loaner/rental? When doing a search online for the SST # it appears that this exact tool is used for a number of different makes and models so they may have one available for you to use. Just a suggestion :biggrin:
Yeah, I noticed that too....it's apparently not a new tool, the problem will be finding one in stock somewhere...I've only had this for a few days and it feels like it's been sitting in my garage for months lol...I'm anxious to just get it on asap. I think I could even ghetto rig something to do the job....just dont want to tear it down till I get to that bolt only to find out I gotta put it all back on and get that exact tool. If I can get the bolt off with just an impact, I'm not sure if I could torque it back to spec without the tool. Ahhhh at least I didnt rush into anything...I tend to overthink things..maybe this is a good thing in this situation:hmmmm2:

trd_sport

Reaction score
Update: O'reilly and Autozone both didnt have nor could get the part. I've had a couple people say to just hit with an impact, so I'll guess I'll do that. I've been quoted from 420-650 on the install from 3 Toyota dealers...IMO that's ridiculous, they are only 10 miles apart here in Houston. I think I will start tearing it down and hopefully everything goes well with just an impact and no holder tool. Wish me luck because I may have to put it back together if it doesn't work:thumpdown:

06XR-SW

Reaction score
Update: O'reilly and Autozone both didnt have nor could get the part. I've had a couple people say to just hit with an impact, so I'll guess I'll do that. I've been quoted from 420-650 on the install from 3 Toyota dealers...IMO that's ridiculous, they are only 10 miles apart here in Houston. I think I will start tearing it down and hopefully everything goes well with just an impact and no holder tool. Wish me luck because I may have to put it back together if it doesn't work:thumpdown:

good luck dude and i hope everything goes good.....take some pics/vids!!!

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Is this a tool that the dealer has in the garage, have you tried asking them if they could rent it to you?

RossK35

Reaction score
Getting it off shouldn't be a problem for the impact gun because that's all they say to use in the instructions. I guess I should start looking for something so I can get mine installed right away.

trd_sport

Reaction score
Is this a tool that the dealer has in the garage, have you tried asking them if they could rent it to you?
yes, and they wont:thumpdown:
Getting it off shouldn't be a problem for the impact gun because that's all they say to use in the instructions. I guess I should start looking for something so I can get mine installed right away.
You have an auto or manual?

That's the thing, taking it off with an impact should be fine, putting the new pulley and bolt on though with an impact scares the shet outta me. Too much torque and snap.

edit: I think what I will do is get it all on, not worry about torqing the crank bolt to exact spec..go up to toyota for the reflash and see if they would be kind enough to check the torque specs on that bolt with their silly tool. Only thing I can think of at this point.:dontknow:

Top Bottom