Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Supercharging a 2TR Prado

iniazy

Reaction score
I used it on a 2008 HiLux. It is possible that they've changed it in the HiLux since 2008, I haven't inspected the new Luxes. The ones I worked with had only one O2 sensors.

I'm disappointed. The ECU is completely different from the HiLux or the 2008 Tacoma. Here's a picture of it:

DSC_0333_zpsyfwx2tvo.jpg

So now I have to wire it directly into the harness. I need the wiring diagram of this new ECU, anyone can help me with that?

Here's a picture of the MAF sensor and housing. Really strange looking sensor.

DSC_0334_zpszclwerh3.jpg

Edit: found it on e-bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-OD-MAF-...6&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=251913140006&rt=nc

It's the same one, I've verified the measurements.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If that ECU is the same as the 2TR Tacoma's, then I know Gadget can help with that. Since I am pretty sure that they use the Map-Ecu3 for their 2TR Rotrex kit.

That MAF sensor is huge. Takes up a lot of volume of that intake tube. Wow. It does look familiar though.

iniazy

Reaction score
Any help with the wiring diagram? I'm really struggling to find one, apparently this type of ECU is very unpopular.

iniazy

Reaction score
Job done.

I managed to identify the wires using an Ohm Meter and a bunch of wires. I pulled the sensor harness connectors and tested for connectivity until I got all five sensor wires identified: Intake Air Temp, Crank, MAF, TPS and AFR. Took a picture of the ECU pin layout, printed it and marked the pins accordingly.

DSC_0341_zpsedbwyhmr.jpg

Here's a clean version:
IMG_20150601_224615_zpskprjtkyn.jpg

1. Intake Air Temp (IAT)
2. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
3. Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
4. Crank Position Sensor (Crank+)
5. Air to Fuel Ratio Sensor (AFR)

I didn't get the ignition coil wires, because the Perfect Power only uses crank signal to advance and retart timing.

What a job! So here's my contribution to the community, thanks to all who didn't help.

Here's how it looks like after wiring:
DSC_0338_zpsimsz0h4u.jpg

DSC_0340_zps8e4vjhn3.jpg

I used swtiched power from a wire hooked to a different plug, not to the ECU, I didn't find a reliable switched power source in the ECU wires. I am using ground from the ECU, however.

I tested the car and drove it around, everything is working well. Now to turn my attention to the mechanical installation.

I am glad to report that the AFR calibrator built into the PerfectPower does work. I tested it. I'm really impressed this little thing is capable of doing it out of the box.

PerfectPower is designed to use TPS as a measure of engine load, which I don't like, so I wired the TPS wire in it to the MAF input wire, to use MAF as engine load, as it should be. That way I should be able to reach a good tune.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You sir are impressive. :top: That is one tedious amount of verification right there. Bravo. Definitely a big thank you, for sharing the work that you found, as well. :top:

How much more, as far as tuning is concerned, before it is ready for the dyno?

iniazy

Reaction score
Not much, the good thing is I am using stock injectors so tuning should be a piece of cake compared with tuning my Fortuner. I'm hoping a couple or three runs in my "proving grounds" (straight street at the back of my neighborhood) should cut it.

Mechanical installation is the big part now. I may run into a few difficulties due to the variations between a HiLux (on which this supercharger kit was based) and the Prado.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah. Pff. If there is anyone on this forum that can figure that task out, you will be able to.

iniazy

Reaction score
I couldn't find a power source that was capable of supplying enough power to the PerfectPower, so I used a relay and pulled a wire directly from the battery. All the other switched power wires I found couldn't supply enough power to power up the unit. So I'm using it to actuate the relay.

DSC_0344_zpsbvs6yhia.jpg

The solution I devised below is to switch between maps in the PerfectPower. I configured two maps, one for F/I, and the other is for N/A. I did this because I want the owner to be able to drive the car reliably if he lost his belt and had to use a stock-length belt without the supercharger. So if such a situation occures, he just needs to connect the two wires in the picture together and he will be on the N/A tune.

I intentionally made it difficult to reach (behind the glove box) so that no one would tamper with it and have him run on the N/A tune while supercharged, and potentially damaging his engine.

DSC_0345_zpszdyymuzl.jpg

I got around installing the rotrex and bracket lastnight, and I was pleasantly surprised that the Prado has much more room in it than the HiLux, so the bracket and rotrex fitted without having to change the coolant inlet and without removing the factory air box. So I will be able to run it with the factory airbox. That is really good news, so I don't need to buy a MAF housing, I don't need to fit a custom air intake, or a custom coolant inlet. This is going to be easier than I anticipated.

DSC_0347_zpsha5i9789.jpg

I just couldn't work on it this evening, it was just too hot. The temperature tonight is 42 degrees! That's 107 degrees F! I don't ever remember it being this hot at night before.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Compared to figuring out the wiring pins and sensors, s/c installation is just nuts and bolts. All down here from now.

Very smart having a spare tune and even more so that it is something that has to acted upon for change. As it will create the mental note not to forget.

Being that summer is upon us all, and it is that hot at night there, what do you do to keep cool in your garage? Fans, air conditioning? I imagine puddles of sweat form quickly in that sweltering heat. Lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Compared to figuring out the wiring pins and sensors, s/c installation is just nuts and bolts. All down here from now.

Very smart having a spare tune and even more so that it is something that has to acted upon for change. As it will create the mental note not to forget.

Being that summer is upon us all, and it is that hot at night there, what do you do to keep cool in your garage? Fans, air conditioning? I imagine puddles of sweat form quickly in that sweltering heat. Lol

iniazy

Reaction score
Oh I just sweat myself out :) and drink a lot of water. Oh Humidity hasn't come yet, humidity is coming (as in Winter is coming). A few more weeks, and I will be literally in puddles of sweat.

I never bothered buying a fan. I think it is healthy to sweat out :D

Once the nuts and bolts are done, then the rest will be inside an air-conditioned car, tuning.

iniazy

Reaction score
Made some progress tonight, I installed the Doug Thorley headers, which I bougt off URD website. It bolted right on to the Prado. I thought since I'm down there, I'll do it, instead of having the owner going to some exhaust shop to do it, and end up not putting the supercharger pipes properly and messing up the setup.

DSC_0354_zpsu3q7xvd6.jpg

DSC_0349_zps7dcfe5bt.jpg

Then I started the plumbing:

DSC_0356_zpsre0aaciz.jpg

I went out to buy some silicon coupling, and I forgot to buy clamps. And trying to figure out how to plumb it with the factory air box, looks like it can be done but I may lift the air box a bit to make it work. I'm still exploring my options. I want to use the factory one, so much easier to maintain, changing filters, and he can put in a panel K&N filter in there and get better air flow, if he wants.

Gadget

Reaction score
All that dust and dirt in that engine compartment, you would be a fool to run a K&N filter.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
All of those pretty Samco Sport silicone couplings! Mmmmm.

I agree. Might as well keep using the OEM paper media air filters. They will do a better job at filtering out those fine dust particles. So much dust. Wow.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
However, it is the owner's vehicle and he can do as he pleases. You guys deal with that dust regularly, so I am sure that you all know how to best deal with it.

iniazy

Reaction score
All that dust and dirt in that engine compartment, you would be a fool to run a K&N filter.

All of those pretty Samco Sport silicone couplings! Mmmmm.

I agree. Might as well keep using the OEM paper media air filters. They will do a better job at filtering out those fine dust particles. So much dust. Wow.

A lot of people run K&N filters here without problems, and no car sits here without dust. Any windy day will bring dust.

Also, if it's a panel-type K&N filter that goes inside the air box, it will pull the air from under the fender, not from the engine bay.

I thought K&N filters are better at filtering out dust than factory paper filters. Oil in the cotton fibers should prevent most of the fine dust from passing through.

Top Bottom