Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The K2 Project

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My passenger side catalytic went out and started this entire project. I had it replaced in March 2012 by the dealership under warranty. Less than two months later my engine was burning massive amounts of oil and I developed an engine knock above 3k --- dealer inspected the engine, spun a bearing.

And so began THE K2 PROJECT. I saw two options:
  1. Sell the truck and get something else.
  2. Fix it and keep going, doing some of the things that I'd always wanted to do but could never justify

After a little arm twisting from friends and fellow XRU members, and the offer from a few people that helped A LOT (and I mean A LOT) on this project, I decided to go with option two and get busy. First step was replacing the engine. Gadget from URD helped me source a great engine and offered to help get it to me so that we can install it. Only criteria he requested ---- that we have the old engine out by the time he arrived. I had never done anything this extensive but Steve (ntinhri) offered to help and also offered his garage, tools, pool and even beds if we needed to spend the night.

For the weekend of July 7-8, 2012 our mission was this:
  • Remove the old engine and pull the tranny
  • Install the new engine
  • Install a new Stage 2 Clutch from URD
  • Install a new Lightweight Flywheel from URD
  • Install a new URD Competition Y-Pipe
  • Replace the throwout bearing and sleeve the tranny using the TSK from URD
  • Put all that shit back in

It was a long two days but we got all of that stuff done. Steve and I pulled the engine with the help of another friend, Kevin (not on XRU) but we couldn't have gotten it all back together as quickly as it happened without Gadget and Sam from URD. This is not a shameless plug --- these guys busted ass and I can't thank them enough.

Enough writing - onto the pics!

DAY 1

Truck Arrives Friday around 1:00 - driven nearly an hour in 100+ degree temps - we had to let it cool for nearly 2 hours it was so damn hot
IMAG0608.jpg

Up on jack stands, hood off, radiator out, supercharger off, etc, etc
IMAG0621.jpg

Drive shaft out, y-pipe out, cross members out, tranny coming out (we had to improvise since we didn't have a tranny jack --- Steve whipped this up in like 15 minutes and it worked great)
IMAG0623.jpg

Tranny removed by Steve's phantom leg
IMAG0631.jpg

About to remove the power steering pump, A/C compressor and starter
IMAG0626.jpg

DAY 2

A quick trip to Lowe's got some bolts and hooked the engine to the hoist
IMAG0635.jpg

Engine out!
IMAG0636.jpg

Yup... its really out.
IMAG0638.jpg

Never fear... UNDERDOG IS HERE! Gadget confirming that the oil pan was not empty. :argh: We had to swap the oil pan since the new engine was from a 4x4.
IMAG0640.jpg

Lightweight flywheel going on!
IMAG0642.jpg

IMAG0645.jpg

Stage 2 Clutch going on!
IMAG0646.jpg

IMAG0649.jpg

What's that?!

IMAG0650.jpg

G-man making magic happen
IMAG0652.jpg

New Engine IN!
IMAG0653.jpg

And this is why there is a Sleeve Kit!!!! :motz:
IMAG0656-1.jpg

That was it for week 1. I was BEAT after that weekend. It was 100 degrees both days and we worked hard, nearly nonstop. These guys taught me a lot and also made me realize just how much I still need to learn.

For the weekend of July 15, 2012 our mission was this:
  • Install new fuel pump
  • Install UCON EMS
  • Install URD Supergrip Pulley on TRD S/C
  • Fix a mistake I made on routing the clutch line
  • Tune it

Not really many photos this time around since it was just Gadget and myself for most of the time. Gadget walked me through the fuel pump install step-by-step - and by that, I mean he did the wrenching and I asked questions. Learned a lot though. Here is the new fuel pump installed and getting to go back in:

IMAG0661.jpg

The rest of the time I was pretty busy working on fixing the clutch line that got routed wrong the week before. This meant removing the supercharger bracket it was supposed to attached to, removing the header and getting it all sorted out. I fought with that damn header forever and felt like a total noob. But in the end, with some guidance, got it done.

10 minutes before we headed out to tune the truck a MASSIVE downpour hit and lets just say it made tuning interesting. But we did the best that we could with the weather and road conditions that we had.

I can't say thank you enough to all that were involved in all of this. Steve, Gadget, Sam, Kevin, Eddie, Tapp (phone calls), Dwayne (also helped with the o2 plug locations via phone) and my wife and kids for being so tolerant these past couple weekends and last 6-7 weeks while the truck wasn't running. I am surrounded by an awesome group of people and it has reminded why I started this site and spent so much time here. You will see me around here more often, I guarantee it.

I can also say that WITHOUT A DOUBT the truck now drives like it SHOULD HAVE from the beginning. This thing is a complete beast and the fun factor of driving this truck just went up about 300% in 3 days of hard work. I have always loved driving this truck but its been a while since it put a silly grin on my face and that happened today.... a few times. :top:

Last but certainly not least - and if you made it this far (my longest post ever I think) then you deserve this... my photoshop concept of what I'm shooting for in the next couple months.

X-Runner_Varrstoen_Hyper_Black.jpg

Coming SOON:
  • DJM 3/4 Drop (already have it - trying to find someone to install it)
  • Varrstoen 2.2 Wheels in 19x9.5 +12 - Hyper Black (already ordered but on backorder for about 4-6 weeks)
  • XII front and rear sways
  • All new gauges from Prosport
  • New paint on the hood, front bumper, tailgate and door handles to fix the shitty factory finish. If I have enough money I'll fix and 3M the flares as well. Mine aren't that bad since Toyota replaced them just a year or so ago.
  • Custom vinyl for the driver's side quarter panel and tonneau, and corresponding vinyl for the passenger fender and hood. Vinyl will be color matched (as close as I can) to the wheels. Most likely a dark gray/gunmetal.
  • Some logos added to the sideskirts for shit that makes me smile

Stay tuned.

------------------------------------
Update 7/4/12

New Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges ordered
oil%20pressure%20300x200.jpg
fuel%20300x200.jpg

Update 7/12/12

Varrstoen 2.2.2 19x9.5+12 in Hyper Black ordered (on backorder)

Update 7/28/12

Gauges installed. (pics to come)

Update 8/2/12

Moog Ball joints and XII stock height coils ordered

Update 8/9/12

Stock height coils arrived!

XII_Stock_Height_Springs_01.jpg

XII_Stock_Height_Springs_02.jpg

Update 8/14/12

Ball joints pressed into DJM control arms

Update 8/15/12

Wheels arrived!

IMAG0768.jpg

IMAG0771.jpg

IMAG0773.jpg

Update 8/17/12

Tires ordered - Falken 452 245/40/19

Update 8/23/12

Tires mounted on rims. Paint quoted and scheduled.

Update 8/30/12

Truck goes in for paint.

Update 9/5/12

Got the truck back from paint! :rock:

IMG_7292.jpg

IMG_7293.jpg

Update 9/30/12

PHOTOSHOOT!
551919_4747446372033_592133230_n.jpg

615728_4747795860770_311121312_o.jpg

K2_TROTM_02.jpg

K2_2012_10-4.png

K2_2012_10-3.png

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
glad to see your going to keep the truck around and improving. I miss mine all the time!!!!!!

butters607

Reaction score
I sent over the answer to gadget for the o2 harness locations! Did you get that squared away?

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
Glad to Help brother! Cant let the Prez go down.. Im stoked we got you swapped in weekend. sorry I could help this weekend.. Let me know if you need anything else.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Glad to see you back on the road brother. Wish I could have been there to help. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
That is an awesome build and the photoshop looks awesome. Thats gonna be a bad azz lookin rig man.
If theres anything i can do to help your process along as far as what i offer let me know and we'll get u lit up right...

Super Werty

Reaction score
Glad you got it back soo quickly....I must continue to wait

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Great to have you back, Klint! :top:

Way to go XRU family!
clap.gif

Gio927

Reaction score
What a project! Nice to see it all come together.

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo your got my rims before me :C lol jk
gld your doing work toget her where ya want her

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Good build thread. I'm moving permanently back into my house over the next couple of weeks. If you want to get the Djm in I know a guy who ain't afraid to slam anything ;).

Tunedx

Reaction score
Nice u got her back on the road. This community has helped me out termendously. How does the xr pull now?

Murderface

Reaction score
Nice to see it all come back together for ya Klint! Now all ya need is a 7th inj, bigger primaries, more boost and some long tubes!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing like falling in love with your vehicle all over again. :) XRU is lucky to have such a great crew of members or something like this would probably not have happened.

If you end up making your truck look like the photoshop, it will be a true rubber-necker. :adore: And with power/tune to back it up. :top:

Also, if ever you have to remove the driver side header, unscrew the two header studs, closest to the fire wall. It will make it a breeze.

uh60rotorhead

Reaction score
Excellent thread. I'm glad all is working out, Klint. Way to turn a problem into an opportunity!

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent thread. I'm glad all is working out, Klint. Way to turn a problem into an opportunity!

Wow - nice to see some of the X-FEST ATL crew still hanging around. :top:

Reverend_d

Reaction score
this is really awesome to see you all get together to help out a fellow X...much props to you all and way to go on the truck.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Very happy to have you back Klint. Not the same around here without you.

.....damn that sounds awful nut huggerish :ahhhhh:

ntinhri

Reaction score
Very happy to have you back Klint. Not the same around here without you.

.....damn that sounds awful nut huggerish :ahhhhh:

I would comment but OVERMODERATING might take over.... :ahhhhh:

Top Bottom