Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The TRD S/C VS URD S/C

Daron-t4r

Reaction score
Hey guys! First, I'm looking for someone who has installed the TRD FJ supercharger on their 4runner who I can talk to about the install, how much did you have to change the hood setup?

Also, what discernible differences are there between the URD supercharger (made for 4runner) and the TRD supercharger (made for the FJ, whichi think will fit on the 4runner, with some modding).

Thank You and Merry Christmas!

-Jordan

Workman3886

Reaction score
If I remember right the URD kit is more for top end power and the TRD kit was more for all around power... I can't remember who posted that but G would be able to tell you for sure. It has to do with the different types of superchargers... roots vs centrifugal

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah the urd is a centrifugal and the power increases with rpms. Also the URD in general is easier to upgrade. The TRD makes its power down low. The URD sounds more like a turbo, high pitch whistle and the new ones even have blow off valves. The TRD is the whining sound. I have the URD and I love it. People stop me all the time and are like "Bro that thing sounds sick how big is the turbo" Lol. You can make both of them make crazy power, its just where you want that power.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the questions you ask. Closed thread for obvious reasons. Also note that this was of the URD MKI. Not the newer more powerful and efficient MKIII.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=9944

Also, if you look at the vendor section, for the URD threads, you should be able to find plenty of pictures of the URD 4Runner with a MK setup.

Gadget

Reaction score
The URD System will significantly out perform the TRD on the 4Runner or any automatic trans vehicle.

The auto trans will not let you lug the engine and will always keep the engine RPMs up where the URD has the clear advantage.

Stage 1 on the URD will get you 355 RWHP and be very quiet doing it. An out of the box TRD will not come anywhere near that.

I still get better than stock MPG!!!

G

Daron-t4r

Reaction score
If only the prices of the two were comparable, I can get the TRD supercharger for 3800, whereas the URD one is 5400. I would jump on the URD S/C if only it was a bit cheaper. Thank you for the input, still looking for a 4runner who has put the TRD in, but I know there arn't as many on this forum.

Stil trying to decide between the two.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
The urd makes It power up top. These motor don't have a very high redline, and IMHO unless your goal is peak dyno numbers, I'd go trd. Trd you get more usable power, throughout your entire power band.

I don't think we need to bring up my destruction of the all mighty urd mrk3 stage 3, with my mildy tuned trd...:rockon:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
If only the prices of the two were comparable, I can get the TRD supercharger for 3800, whereas the URD one is 5400. I would jump on the URD S/C if only it was a bit cheaper. Thank you for the input, still looking for a 4runner who has put the TRD in, but I know there arn't as many on this forum.

You have to look at what you're getting for that price. If you will be happy with the TRD units power levels and never plan to upgrade, then yes that is the better decision. If you are one that wants to push the power levels and are a modding addict URD is the way to go. The URD kits comes with all the fueling and tuning you will need to push your truck to 400hp+. You would spend easily that much if not more to upgrade the TRD blower to its limits and still not be making the same power.

The urd makes It power up top. These motor don't have a very high redline, and IMHO unless your goal is peak dyno numbers, I'd go trd. Trd you get more usable power, throughout your entire power band.

I don't think we need to bring up my destruction of the all mighty urd mrk3 stage 3, with my mildy tuned trd...:rockon:

LOL I think that's more driver mod. Yes the TRD has more down low power, but the URD is not as lacking down low as everybody makes it seem. Its even nicer with the T-56, you actually stay in the power band when you shift. :top:

Last edited:

Daron-t4r

Reaction score
Also, my brain will be turned off untill I go back to school mid January, so, could I get help creating a Pro/Con list for the TRD (roots) and URD (cenrti) blowers.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score

LOL I think that's more driver mod. Yes the TRD has more down low power, but the URD is not as lacking down low as everybody makes it seem. Its even nicer with the T-56, you actually stay in the power band when you shift. :top:

T-56, i would kill for one of those....I saw the almighty mrkiii stage 3 run on the Dyno. It makes stupid power/torque above 3k. But...with a stock transmission, there will be a few parts 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd for instance, where there will be SOME waiting.*Top notch kit, don't get me wrong.:top:

The ability to keep upgrading the kit to insane power levels, fore relatively cheap cost, out perfroms the trds...though....porting and re-gear....I can't help but wonder what sparkies truck makes... Trying to egg him on to get that sob on the Dyno. :D

Trd is also carb legal...so I don't know if you live in a state that has adopted Cali's smog/emissions testing, you won't get in trouble with the law and be able to pass any smog testing.*

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
T-56, i would kill for one of those....I saw the almighty mrkiii stage 3 run on the Dyno. It makes stupid power/torque above 3k. But...with a stock transmission, there will be a few parts 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd for instance, where there will be SOME waiting.*Top notch kit, don't get me wrong.:top:

The ability to keep upgrading the kit to insane power levels, fore relatively cheap cost, out perfroms the trds...though....porting and re-gear....I can't help but wonder what sparkies truck makes... Trying to egg him on to get that sob on the Dyno. :D

Trd is also carb legal...so I don't know if you live in a state that has adopted Cali's smog/emissions testing, you won't get in trouble with the law and be able to pass any smog testing.*

I absolutely hated my truck with the stock trans. It would fall flat on its face on the 1-2 shift, and while the 2-3 was better it still doesn't compare to the T-56. It pulls hard at every shift. :blurock:

Daron-t4r

Reaction score

Colorado won't ever do that.. Atleast I hope...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the questions you ask. Closed thread for obvious reasons. Also note that this was of the URD MKI. Not the newer more powerful and efficient MKIII.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=9944

Also, if you look at the vendor section, for the URD threads, you should be able to find plenty of pictures of the URD 4Runner with a MK setup.

Yes, I just quoted myself. To be overly clear about the information and debate that will forever be. Old as it is, and aside from the bs that is contained, there is very good info in there.

As for the "wish it were cheaper", the kit wouldn't be worth it if it were cheaper. Only by if the definition meant cheaper equals less quality parts. That won't happen because URD doesn't stand by cheap quality parts. So, then next easiest way to make it "cheaper" for what is most likely the way you had intended, would be to buy the kit, minus a few components.

I.E. : No UCON EMS( ~$1700), No injectors (~$350) , and No fuel pump upgrade kit (~$150).

Combined that is about $2k cheaper off of the price. However, how would you be able to run boost? Easy, get injectors. Ok, now you are exactly where the TRD unit is, minus a Toyota reflash. Which won't work. Wait, you still won't be able to drive well since you have larger than stock injectors, and no tune. So back to getting a tuning device. Then you start having high rpm lean out due to the OEM fuel pump being insufficient. Need to upgrade that now. Same will happen with the TRD by the way. The URD kit is already aware of the issue, so it comes with it.

Cheaper is a fable when you compare the two. You will barely make 300 whp with the TRD unit installed with a reflash. Spend close to $2k+ more to get near high 300's. Because you will want to. In the end, the URD kit is more complete and efficient and makes much better power around, right out of the box.

butters607

Reaction score

Okay if you go trd you have to hope and pray the reflash likes your truck and doesnt run rich or lean Nd with the urd your getring the best tuning device on the market

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
One was specifically made for it and the other was not, seems clear cut to me. As its been said you will have to heavily mod the TRD in order to come close to what the URD makes outta the box. Both are fantastic units that add nice amounts of power. If you want great low end power and that whine from a roots booster get the TRD. If you want all out power, the URD is for you.

Daron-t4r

Reaction score
The URD does seem superior, but, my buddy recently purchased a TRD S/C, so I think thats the one I'm going to use. Considering I don't know too much about blowers it is going to be a fun experience putting it in, and learning about all the parts that comprise the roots type blower.

Has anyone met, know, or is someone who has put the TRD blower in a 4runner? If so I'd like to get in touch, thanks.

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Still waiting for a URD truck (or any truck) to knock my TRD ass off the 1st place position in the accel video thread (maybe one day). ;)

If I had to do it again id run a TRD blower with 2.8x pulley from APR or URD, and a nice shot of spray; wipe the floor on the cheap - jawesome power from idle to redline (really a unrivaled power curve)

on another note Coyote 5.0 FTW

Last edited:

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Still waiting for a URD truck (or any truck) to knock my TRD ass off the 1st place position in the accel video thread (maybe one day). ;)

If I had to do it again id run a TRD blower with 2.8x pulley from APR or URD, and a nice shot of spray; wipe the floor on the cheap - jawesome power from idle to redline (really a unrivaled power curve)

on another note Coyote 5.0 FTW

I was told it was hard to tune a shot of spray with the IGR without a tuning system.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Nitrous....

Yes, I just quoted myself. To be overly clear about the information and debate that will forever be. Old as it is, and aside from the bs that is contained, there is very good info in there.

As for the "wish it were cheaper", the kit wouldn't be worth it if it were cheaper. Only by if the definition meant cheaper equals less quality parts. That won't happen because URD doesn't stand by cheap quality parts. So, then next easiest way to make it "cheaper" for what is most likely the way you had intended, would be to buy the kit, minus a few components.

I.E. : No UCON EMS( ~$1700), No injectors (~$350) , and No fuel pump upgrade kit (~$150).

Combined that is about $2k cheaper off of the price. However, how would you be able to run boost? Easy, get injectors. Ok, now you are exactly where the TRD unit is, minus a Toyota reflash. Which won't work. Wait, you still won't be able to drive well since you have larger than stock injectors, and no tune. So back to getting a tuning device. Then you start having high rpm lean out due to the OEM fuel pump being insufficient. Need to upgrade that now. Same will happen with the TRD by the way. The URD kit is already aware of the issue, so it comes with it.

Cheaper is a fable when you compare the two. You will barely make 300 whp with the TRD unit installed with a reflash. Spend close to $2k+ more to get near high 300's. Because you will want to. In the end, the URD kit is more complete and efficient and makes much better power around, right out of the box.

U know it is a hard decision but this is true....u can do like me and piece it together. I already have the three listed items above except I have an X1.:top:

Last edited:
Top Bottom