Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The TRD S/C VS URD S/C

Daron-t4r

Reaction score
How much adjusting does the TRD blower need to fit on our 4runnners?

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Hey guys! First, I'm looking for someone who has installed the TRD FJ supercharger on their 4runner who I can talk to about the install, how much did you have to change the hood setup?

Also, what discernible differences are there between the URD supercharger (made for 4runner) and the TRD supercharger (made for the FJ, whichi think will fit on the 4runner, with some modding).

Thank You and Merry Christmas!

-Jordan

My FJ is running the URD mkIII with full exhaust and 4:56 gears. I will say it is very quick off the line and power builds very quick and strong. Will chirp second gear in my auto trans with 35" tires:blurock:

Murderface

Reaction score
Yes it's true to get the TRD blower to get to the power I'm making it's gonna cost some money but in the end I've got no problem hitting 160mph and it does it rather quickly. I can also run E85 in the summer and drastically reduce the chance of any knock. Now what I have to disagree with about E85 is the fuel consumption/mileage, yes u get less mpg's. With super I usually squeeze out 275 miles from a tank, with E85 I can squeeze out about 200-230 miles from a tank driving exactly the same way and it's just over $2 a gallon and 93 octane costs me $3.55 at least. Oh and full boost(10-11psi before 2K rpm)
I can only speak for TRD blowers on this matter cause I've still never gotten a ride in an MKI or MKII(even though I've installed an MKII and APR X-1 on the same X). Some day Jeff, some day Jeff(hint hint!!)

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
take it from a trd owner, save your money for the urd mkIII, it will cost you less in the end.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I was told it was hard to tune a shot of spray with the IGR without a tuning system.

That would be incorrect information up to a certain power level; all the tuning is done via setup components, hose length adjustments, jetting, and nitrous & fuel pressure adjustments.

For the most part the ECU has no idea the additional nitrous and fuel is even there.

TRD Blower = 3,000.00 or so in todays market
Intake = ?
Pulley = ?
Fuel Pump = $85.00
Safe Nitrous setup = 800 - 1,000.00

That is $4,000 - $4,500.00 for the capability to run as little or as much power as you want.

Lots of HP & tons of torque with selectable 25 HP up to 200 + HP adjustable power levels on the same system (even adjustable from inside the truck if you ever wanted to set it up that way).

Nitrous is by far the most efficient & effective power adder, we aren't talking peak numbers here - this is massive power gains through out the entire curve available the second you want it.

Who doesnt want 50 or 75 additional WHP from the RPM you start spraying until the RPM you stop spraying? You have full power gain right now at the push of a button when you need it and when traction is permitting its use.

Thats why I said if I was to do it again id probably do it this way - cheap, fast, fun.

Last edited:

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
That would be incorrect information up to a certain power level; all the tuning is done via setup components, hose length adjustments, jetting, and nitrous & fuel pressure adjustments.

For the most part the ECU has no idea the additional nitrous and fuel is even there.

Intake = ?
Pulley = ?
Fuel Pump = $85.00

That is $4,000 - $4,500.00 for the capability to run as little or as much power as you want.

Lots of HP & tons of torque with selectable 25 HP up to 200 + HP adjustable power levels on the same system (even adjustable from inside the truck if you ever wanted to set it up that way).

Nitrous is by far the most efficient & effective power adder, we aren't talking peak numbers here - this is massive power gains through out the entire curve available the second you want it.

Who doesnt want 50 or 75 additional WHP from the RPM you start spraying until the RPM you stop spraying? You have full power gain right now at the push of a button when you need it and when traction is permitting its use.

Thats why I said if I was to do it again id probably do it this way - cheap, fast, fun.
Nitrous has to refilled though..

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Edited :top:

Intake = ?
Pulley = ?
Fuel Pump = $85.00
Larger injectors = $350 - $850 (for upgraded boost levels)
Aftermarket ECU = $700-3000, $1600 for UCON to tune boost upgrade and nitrous.
That is $4000-5950 (for most) for the capability to run as little or as much power as you want.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Nitrous has to refilled though..

So does your gas tank?

Nitrous is extremely cheap (2-3$ a pound) and goes a very long way (20-30 runs on a 5 lb bottle!!) with average usage.
Edited :top:

Edited:

Don't really ever need larger injectors or an aftermarket ECU with average power gains; thus these costs do not apply to this combination. :top: :-O

Last edited:

Daron-t4r

Reaction score
BUMP

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm learning alot.

Still looking for someone who has put the TRD on a 4runner with the FJ fit kit.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So does your gas tank?

Nitrous is extremely cheap (2-3$ a pound) and goes a very long way (20-30 runs on a 5 lb bottle!!) with average usage.

Edited:

Don't really ever need larger injectors or an aftermarket ECU with average power gains; thus these costs do not apply to this combination. :top: :-O

To make the same power levels as the URD unit, both are necessary. Even with Nos. If said buyer is content with the super ease of the install and running of the TRD unit at the close to 300 whp out of the box, then of course they so not need any of those extra components listed.

Want to run NOS, want to run E85, want to add more boost just for the heck of any of it, some form of aftermarket ecu is necessary to control fuel and timing, at a minimum. I know that is agree worthy.

P.S. I will throw this into the mix. If you want to make the more power than either of those units, you need a Torspd turbo kit. ^_^

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Yeah the urd is a centrifugal and the power increases with rpms. Also the URD in general is easier to upgrade. The TRD makes its power down low. The URD sounds more like a turbo, high pitch whistle and the new ones even have blow off valves. The TRD is the whining sound. I have the URD and I love it. People stop me all the time and are like "Bro that thing sounds sick how big is the turbo" Lol. You can make both of them make crazy power, its just where you want that power.

yep. I get that a lot. Just can't beat the sound of that URD MK1 with that intake in front. Sexy sound. But then again the MK3 that BO valve sounds sick too. Def get a lot of looks by the stance but def the sound.... I have drove a TRD. Def a different feel.

Super Werty

Reaction score
I want to hear a TRD + URD MK3 on a built motor. Just need a little more cash:blurock:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now you are talking build worthy right there! :rockon:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
To make the same power levels as the URD unit, both are necessary. Even with Nos. If said buyer is content with the super ease of the install and running of the TRD unit at the close to 300 whp out of the box, then of course they so not need any of those extra components listed.

Want to run NOS, want to run E85, want to add more boost just for the heck of any of it, some form of aftermarket ecu is necessary to control fuel and timing, at a minimum. I know that is agree worthy.

P.S. I will throw this into the mix. If you want to make the more power than either of those units, you need a Torspd turbo kit. ^_^

Nitrous DOES NOT need larger injectors or a programmable ECU.

You can add up to a good 75 HP worth of nitrous on 93 pump gas before you even need to pull ignition advance on this truck; that kind of shot will molest a lot of "faster" setups. This is the full power gain of the shot right now at the RPM you start spraying at until the RPM that you stop spraying at.

If you choose to use an octane supplement you can run a massive shot and never need to touch the ECU's fuel or ignition parameters.

If you want more power then that get a more capable engine. :laugh:

I want to hear a TRD + URD MK3 on a built motor. Just need a little more cash:blurock:

That would be cool! TRD + URD + TURBO + NITROUS :blurock: **** it throw a jet engine in the bed as well.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^ Lmao. Quadruple charged FTW!

Top Bottom