Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo guys advice please....

rexrunner

Reaction score
Advice..

Sell ucon

Get a ms3 or such even emanage

Look at my turbo thread. I think if you read it all you will have a lot of questions answered

Kevin S.

Reaction score
I hate superchargers.

Why? Not to hate on turbos - i love them in the right application but i think for this engine with it's open deck/low boost limit design the safest and most reliable daily driven setup is a supercharger setup - seems more cost effective/less brain damage solution to me? Now any closed deck block with forged internals - give me a serious turbo setup with high boost !

Knuckles

Reaction score
Their is only one underlying problem to a SC if you dont already have decent power, your not gonna make and gains. Unlike a turbo( free hp) a turbo does not need power, it just need wasted energy to make power.
So a turbo on the right setup is much more practical. Think about how many daily driver diesels are out there...... :biggrin:

Kevin S.

Reaction score
Their is only one underlying problem to a SC if you dont already have decent power, your not gonna make and gains. Unlike a turbo( free hp) a turbo does not need power, it just need wasted energy to make power.
So a turbo on the right setup is much more practical. Think about how many daily driver diesels are out there...... :biggrin:

True! However the parasitic loss of a supercharger on a bigger engine like ours (especially for someone like me that will daily drive) is nominal i think. Turbo a vehicle that is non turbo from the factory is a bit more work - piping, intercooler, wastgate, bov, correct manifold, down pipe, new 02, re-tune or stand alone, blah blah blah lol. My 03 v6 tacoma required the trd supercharger and that was it! I know it was less hp/tq but I wasn't trying to make it a drag vehicle - just wanted a little more low end power(when trying to spin my 37" meaty off road tires) and the supercharger was perfect for that job. Meh maybe I'm getting old and just want my mods to be simple haha.

shane881510

Reaction score
I haven't bought a ucon. I'm still doing research on the turbo setup. all I've got is everything to make the turbo manifold.

Murderface

Reaction score
I hate superchargers.

Hate is a strong word for something u obviously know nothing about. Besides I hit full boost below 2000rpm which stays all the way thru to redline at 6200 rpm

Last edited:

Kevin S.

Reaction score
Hate is a strong word for something u obviously know nothing about.

1342394039319.jpg

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
if you don't want to spend over $4000 just get a supercharger. way more *useable* power if you ever plan on using your truck as a truck :laugh: these are terrible engines/vehicles for drag racing. knowone has got under 12 seconds on a 1/4 mile and guys in the 12's have spent upwards of $6000. if you wanna go crazy just buy a little honda civic and put a few grand into it. you will easily smoke any x-runner in a 1/4 mile

shane881510

Reaction score
I know enough to where I don't like em. if I want something supercharged I'd supercharge the 385ci stroker In my s10.

Kevin S.

Reaction score
if you don't want to spend over $4000 just get a supercharger. way more *useable* power if you ever plan on using your truck as a truck :laugh: these are terrible engines/vehicles for drag racing. knowone has got under 12 seconds on a 1/4 mile and guys in the 12's have spent upwards of $6000. if you wanna go crazy just buy a little honda civic and put a few grand into it. you will easily smoke any x-runner in a 1/4 mile

Yep! Unfortunately true. The design of the engine and no direct fuel injection, dual vvt-i, etc lead to an engine not really designed to hit high levels of boost. 6k on this truck is absurd!!! 6k in any v8 or even a fwd honda, dodge, vw(maybe lol) will blow the XR off the road!

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Yep! Unfortunately true. The design of the engine and no direct fuel injection, dual vvt-i, etc lead to an engine not really designed to hit high levels of boost. 6k on this truck is absurd!!! 6k in any v8 or even a fwd honda, dodge, vw(maybe lol) will blow the XR off the road!

haha just buy a $1000 early 90's honda civic and put a $5000 complete turbo kit on it and you get 450 hp + and they weigh over 1000 lbs less than our trucks and get better traction off the line and thats just a lightly modified low boost civic

justin13703

Reaction score

That's the price you gotta pay to want to mod a relatively uncommon vehicle like ours. But everybody and their brother has a turbo Honda. So what's the point. It would be like every other turbo Honda out there. I personally like having something that makes people want to ask questions, not just say "oh there's another damn turbo'd Honda civic"

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
That's the price you gotta pay to want to mod a relatively uncommon vehicle like ours. But everybody and their brother has a turbo Honda. So what's the point. It would be like every other turbo Honda out there. I personally like having something that makes people want to ask questions, not just say "oh there's another damn turbo'd Honda civic"

i completely agree! i bought this truck for a few reasons.....i really wanted a supra but i'm a carpenter so i needed a truck. so basically the x-runner is the only truck that handles even close to a nice sports car, has decent power, and looks amazing! its never gonna be a 10 second car but its a daily driver/work truck that smokes most cars on the road and gets a ton of compliments :top:

Murderface

Reaction score
^^^ so true! What's better then having a sexy ass truck that can haul some goods, handle stock better then a stock 350Z plus haul some ass?! A bunch of us have X's that will beat many many cars from a roll and out handle them in the process

shane881510

Reaction score
i own a x runners cause i want a supra.. but like a supra I also want a turbo. I'm not pro street drag racer. just want enough power to smoke a mustang or two. bragging rights. and I'm a turbo guy not a supercharger... but anyone with 6g can buy and bolt on a supercharger for this truck. the bragging is better when u know u built the setup Ur self. from the first weld to the last one.

widdoz runner

Reaction score
i own an 01 mustang (v6) and ive dusted several mustangs (not the new 5.0) easy if their na and my truck isnt heavily modded. ive also learned the best vehicles are the ones downplayed not bragged on. just my two cents

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
haha ya i just love the look on peoples faces when there mustangs, 350z's, chipped turbo diesels, and so on get smoked by a tacoma :laugh:

justin13703

Reaction score
haha ya i just love the look on peoples faces when there mustangs, 350z's, chipped turbo diesels, and so on get smoked by a tacoma :laugh:

Oh god diesels are my favorite. Seems like everyone around here with a diesel just wants to make it blow smoke and drive it like they're two laps down all the time and try to race every other truck they can find. In fact I took care of one on the highway just the other day. Asshole blew smoke on me so I showed him third gear :crinklehair:

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Oh god diesels are my favorite. Seems like everyone around here with a diesel just wants to make it blow smoke and drive it like they're two laps down all the time and try to race every other truck they can find. In fact I took care of one on the highway just the other day. Asshole blew smoke on me so I showed him third gear :crinklehair:

haha ya there are soo many 1 ton turbo diesel trucks around here and every one of them thinks there all that but they don't realize how much there trucks weigh and how much those massive tires effect there acceleration. just the other day i had 1 guy merge onto the hwy next to me......huge black smoke cloud goes up and you could here the turbo winding up......i shift down and floor it and in about 5 seconds i'm 20 car lengths gone! cracks me up every time guys with those trucks even try :laugh:

shane881510

Reaction score
same here. all smoke and no go. I agree braggin aint right but these guys around here all mustangs. mostly 4.8 and 4.6 but no v6's. don't get beat by more than 3 or 4 lengths but still.

Top Bottom