Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Warning to all XR owners

DannysBlkX

Reaction score
So here goes....
i got some new tires for my truck a 2 weeks ago.. so i decided to do some donuts on the old ones before switching them out....did not go as planed...did four donuts then drove 2 blocks now i hear major knocking..sounds just like grumpy's vid.. maybe worse....no engine light.. which is weird ..but something is for sure wrong cuzz it sounds like a sewing machine that was hit with a metal bat... driving it back from my brothers and truck shuts off on its own...i'm like oooooo shit oooo shit ...I start it up again major knock and metal friction sound still there... my yota has 19k on it so im still under 50k warranty ...but i was still worried that Toyota could tell that i was messing around and not want to cover it....I switched out the tires before taking it to the dealership cuzz i don't want them to see burned up tires... i told them i was on the highway when it started making a funny noise..and acted stupid...lol.. guys i baby the truck all the time... i let it loose once and it blows on me...i'm disappointed in myself and toyota but mostly toyota..lol .. can't even do a donut with out it blowing up on you. Anyways ...Toyota didn't really ask me any questions. They had the truck for a week and gave my a camry as a loaner. Toyota said rod bearings failed.. They ended up giving me a new short block. for free thank god..Long story short...I Don't recommend doing donuts, or drifting in this truck....Theory is ..shallow oil pan + no baffling = major mechanical failure...:thumpdown: all oil gets pushed to the sides when turning hard and nothing gets lubrication. So learn from my stupidity ! :smile: will up load vid later!

PiNkY

Reaction score
this is exactly why Coupe is makin that new oil pan. sorry to hear you had to go thru that but hey luckily toyota pulled through. i'm def. gona be buying the new oil pan once it's ready for production

fmap4life

Reaction score
Damnit man that sucks but happy they are fixing it for ya

burnboy

Reaction score
Dude, if your rod bearings failed then surely your heads were starved as well. If they don't replace the heads id pull a valve cover and a cam cap and check my journals. And yes I'm in for the oil pan also

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about this. Hadn't heard back from ya. Glad to hear they gonna fix you up. I wish I had warranty when mine popped! I'll be putting mine back together next month. I have everything I need now :top:

CBRBob

Reaction score
And now you let the world know this was your doing...... :top:

DannysBlkX

Reaction score
lol...ooppsss.. as i was growing up my dad always said "you play you pay" i treated my XR like a toy and it broke...lesson learned...don't do the same!!!

spdstyl

Reaction score
lol...ooppsss.. as i was growing up my dad always said "you play you pay" i treated my XR like a toy and it broke...lesson learned...don't do the same!!!

i treat mine like a toy but im wrenching on mine at the same time you just have to be careful not to bounch i off the rev limited use 2nd gear next time and feather the throttle :biggrin:

Murderface

Reaction score
is gadget building a spacer or a whole new oil pan

Not Gadget but Coupe is the one working on a new revised oil pan. I know one of the pans he has fabled up has a spacer which adds a qt or more oil along with baffles and trap doors on the baffles to keep the oil from leaving the area in the pan where the pump pick up is located. He also has the drain relocated to the lowest spot on the pan instead of where it is now.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Don't tell me. Your donuts consisted of you bouncing the Rev limiter, and doing a bunch of j hooks?....

Who changes your oil?

i treat mine like a toy but im wrenching on mine at the same time you just have to be careful not to bounch i off the rev limited use 2nd gear next time and feather the throttle :biggrin:

Word. Good to know someone here ain't a fool. hahaha

Last edited:

X-roller

Reaction score
I don't see how this happens.... I think it's just a faulty oil pump.... I have tons of vids of me drifting in my truck and i'll even admit I did it when I was quart low...(I didn't check the oil before going out and messing around) I don't have a knock or anything of that nature.... I've done it even boosted.... No knock.... I don't think the sump is the problem... I think that we just have had a batch of bad oil pumps out there....

X-roller

Reaction score
Don't tell me. Your donuts consisted of you bouncing the Rev limiter, and doing a bunch of j hooks?....

^^^^^ THIS!!!! would also be a good reason on why this would happen.... I DO NOT do that..... that is just plain out dumb.....

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I don't see how this happens.... I think it's just a faulty oil pump.... I have tons of vids of me drifting in my truck and i'll even admit I did it when I was quart low...(I didn't check the oil before going out and messing around) I don't have a knock or anything of that nature.... I've done it even boosted.... No knock.... I don't think the sump is the problem... I think that we just have had a batch of bad oil pumps out there....

Our sump is a big issue. Buuuuuuuut...driver error can and does have a big effect on it. I keep my truck at 5 quarts and beat the living shit out of it. 138k miles. Since I bought my truck, I put no less then 5 quarts. Never let any of those jiffy lubes or even a dealership touch my truck, they just put in whatever they think is enough oil, and there oil is bought from the lower bidder...would you get a blood transfusion from the hospital who gets its blood from the lowest bidder????? Didn't think so....and of course, half the workers don't speak English....:rolleyez:

Our shallow sump I nothing to be concerned about unless you don't change your own oil, and you don't feel compelled to learn how to check it. Or learn how to drive....I love seeing these threads pop up.

rich017

Reaction score
I hope you are making this thread if you have your truck back.

IMO not very smart to make this thread if the truck is still at the dealership.

Top Bottom