Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Which Brake Rotors To Go With?

Which Type of Brake Rotors?

• Slotted

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Cross-Drilled & Slotted

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Dimple-Drilled & Slotted

Votes: 17 22.4%

• Total voters

shaX 07

Reaction score
I am going to be buying some brake rotors soon and would like some input on which type you guys reccomend. I'm either going to get Slotted, Cross-Drilled & Slotted or Dimpled Drilled & Slotted..

I've heard that Slotted last longer than drilled for various reasons but i'm not sure how true this is.. I've also heard through various readings that dimpled drilled is the way to go, but I would like input from those who have actually purchased these types of rotors for their x-runners or any other vehicles they've owned...

I am looking for high brake performance but i also want them to last a long time....

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I know a few guys who run the dimpled and slotted rotors....and nothing but good things! :rock: :rock: :rock: I chose those. To be honest thats going to be my next performance mod :D

uh60rotorhead

Reaction score
I thought that slotted rotors were designed to "shave" a layer of the brake pad off to keep them from glazing. I would think that the slotted rotors would eat up pads much faster. Many motorcycle rotors that I've seen are simply drilled. I think that is the way to go. But, then again I have no idea what I'm talking about.

i_ski

Reaction score
cross drilling allows the gasses to escape to give you better braking BUT CAN lead to cracking if improperly drilled. slotted aren't are effective as drilling at removing the gasses but aren't prone to cracking. dimples are for look more than anything IMO.
So the answer is how hot do you get your brakes? If you spend time racing a road track get the maximum cooling or cross drilled and slotted. If you're just wanting better street brakes that last longer, go slotted. If you like the look add dimples.

BlackCat

Reaction score
As i_ski said, it depends on what you plan on doing with your truck.

When you apply the brakes, the pads come into contact with the rotors and, though friction, an incredible amount of heat is generated. That heat causes the pads to off-gas, or generate gasses. Those gasses are generated under enough pressure that they will actually start to slightly lift the pads back off the rotor, reducing brake force. The intent of the slotted rotors (and the drilled rotors) is to allow those gasses to escape.

If it's just for looks, dimpled and slotted are fine. Maybe take some black high-heat paint and fill in the dimples to give you the full drilled look.

If it's for auto-cross or high speed work (on a legally-sanctioned track, of course), then slotted is the better bet. Dimpled really doesn't do a whole lot by itself.

As for cross drilled rotors, it depends. Though the intent is to allow improved ventilation and cooling of the rotors and to allow gasses to escape, there is debate on how effective the cross-drilled holes in the rotors actually are. There are some in the braking world who consider cross-drilled holes to be largely useless because the rotors can't actually pass enough air through those holes to really have any measurable effect. The jury is kinda still out on that one.

However, one thing that is well-documented is that the process of drilling the holes puts a lot of residual stress into the rotor material and those residual stresses can cause the rotors to crack from around the holes. Some companies resort to counterbore-drilled holes and/or cryogenic treatments to try and offset those stresses, though.

So where do you pan on getting these rotors from ? Please don't say some no-name brand on Ebay...

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Id go with some metal ones; hear they work way better then plastic.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I've been running the BP slotted/dimpled for the last few months and absolutely love them. I chose the dimpled/slotted because of the lifetime warranty vs the 1 or 2 year that the other rotors offer.

Paired with the TRD HP Pads, I could not be happier. Add some SS lines and perf brake fluid and the truck will stop very well.

ntinhri

Reaction score
Xrunnit seems happy with his new brake setup. Id like to get the details from him... Im about ready to switch some rotors and pads too.. My EBC yellows are about done. so Im going to go with some less dusting pads and whatever rotors Xrunnit has..

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Xrunnit seems happy with his new brake setup. Id like to get the details from him... Im about ready to switch some rotors and pads too.. My EBC yellows are about done. so Im going to go with some less dusting pads and whatever rotors Xrunnit has..

Dayum..you brake rider:)

XrunnIT

Reaction score

I had the EBC pads for a while. Much happier with my new setup. :top:

Here is a link to the rotors. :top:

And it looks like they offer lifetime warranty on all the rotors now. That being the case I would recommend the cross-drilled/slotted rotors.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/br...730_11117_13704_13705_78168&dv=0408&ad=direct

(EDIT moved to Aftermarket Brakes)

Last edited:

shaX 07

Reaction score
I had the EBC pads for a while. Much happier with my new setup. :top:

Here is a link to the rotors. :top:

And it looks like they offer lifetime warranty on all the rotors now. That being the case I would recommend the cross-drilled/slotted rotors.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/br...730_11117_13704_13705_78168&dv=0408&ad=direct

(EDIT moved to Aftermarket Brakes)

Are you currently running the cross drilled & slotted rotors from that web site? What are you running for pads? and do you have stainless steel brake lines? Tell us more! :)

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Are you currently running the cross drilled & slotted rotors from that web site? What are you running for pads? and do you have stainless steel brake lines? Tell us more! :)

I believe Jason is running TRD Brake Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, and those cross drilled & slotted rotors (from that website)...:top:

XrunnIT

Reaction score

I have the dimpled/slotted rotors from that site, TRD HP pads and stock brake lines still.

shaX 07

Reaction score
I have the dimpled/slotted rotors from that site, TRD HP pads and stock brake lines still.

Are you happy with the dimple/slotted or do you wish you had gotten the cross drilled?

I just ordered StopTech Stainless Steel lines for Front & Rear and I also ordered Hawk performance pads.. got the lines & the pads for $225 from buybrakes.com. I am going to order rotors this week...

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I am very happy with the dimpled/slotted. There is a slight perf advantage to the drilled/slotted as mentioned above. Being that they all have a lifetime warranty on them, I would suggest the drilled/slotted. :top:

shaX 07

Reaction score
Has anyone used R1 rotors? I've heard good things about them on other forums (SRTForums, SRT8 Cherokee Forums)... and they're reasonably priced....

www.r1concepts.com

shaX 07

Reaction score
I'm still undecided on which type to buy... I really want to the look of the Drilled/Slotted but am still worried about pre-mature cracking.... I'm leaning towards Slotted but I just don't know...

Top Bottom