Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Which Brake Rotors To Go With?

Which Type of Brake Rotors?

• Slotted

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Cross-Drilled & Slotted

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Dimple-Drilled & Slotted

Votes: 17 22.4%

• Total voters

415XR

Reaction score
the site that XrunnIT posted says that the drilled/slotted has a lifetime warranty. i say go for it and if they crack, send them back

shaX 07

Reaction score
the site that XrunnIT posted says that the drilled/slotted has a lifetime warranty. i say go for it and if they crack, send them back

Yes, but it specifically says

"Lifetime Warranty Against Defects in Materials & Workmanship"

If they crack (for whatever reason) they could say it wasn't due to "defects in workmanship or materials" but because I rode the brakes too hard or I did something else that did it to them that wasn't technically a defect...

shaX 07

Reaction score
I had trouble finding this out for myself too...

What would you run on your other cars?

I personally have never had performance rotors. On my 2nd RSX Type-S I had Hawk brake pads & stainless steel brake lines and the braking was amazing...

Alexrunner

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of cross drilled/slotted rotors from BP and got the new TRD pads. Thanks Xrunnit for all your help!

shaX 07

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of cross drilled/slotted rotors from BP and got the new TRD pads. Thanks Xrunnit for all your help!

Hmmm... I just might have to do the same.. I ordered Hawk pads though, $40 cheaper and same if not better quality :top:

Alexrunner

Reaction score
yea, my brakes needed to be changed and Toyota wanted $300+ to change the pads and resurface the rotors. F-THAT! Ill just buy new rotors and pads altogether for less.

shaX 07

Reaction score
yea, my brakes needed to be changed and Toyota wanted $300+ to change the pads and resurface the rotors. F-THAT! Ill just buy new rotors and pads altogether for less.

Yeah that's an outrageous price.. new rotors FTW :top:

shaX 07

Reaction score
Just ordered the dimple drilled & slotted... Can't wait to put these beasts on :top:

Reaction score
I say slotted or drilled...

I see it as Brembo, Alcon, Bear, etc. don't use dimpled rotors for a reason...

Not to mention Ferrari, AMG, BMW etc...

I'm sure the engineers of these companies would use dimpled if it was worth it...

I got stotted :D

If I got a BBK, Stop-Tech 355mm with drilled

Also I heard that dimpled rotors were made because someone has a patent on drilled rotors and they made dimples to not have to pay to make drilled...

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

Mclovin

"Chicka Chicka Yea"
Reaction score
dang bro that brakeperformance site has some nice cheap IMO performance rotors!! 1st chance i get ima order the crossdrilled and slotted... personally i would recomend cd&s rotors... ive had some on my old silverado and they lasted to this day... and try and find some ceramic brake pads.... those two make a world of a diff IMO....but thats just me bro... lol whatever you choose its your money lol

SX TOY

Reaction score
most of the basics have been covered already all I can offer is that I have had multiple hi-performance cars that were driven to the edge frequently on and off the track. in my autocross setup I had cross drilled rotors carbon metallic pads and ss lines. had no issues w/cracking or warping. the pads were too hardcore for daily use(noisy,dusty) but great on track. the ss lines give you the most dramatic change reducing your pedal travel by over half in most applications. the pedal feel w/ss lines is like standing on a brick compared to the generic pedal feel you get from stock. if I did a brake stomp with this setup your stomach felt like it was going to go through the dash. hope this helps

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the regular and premium rotors from BP?

Edit: Nevermind... the premiums are just the dimpled ones.

Last edited:

XDsm

Reaction score
Unless you are using brake pads from the 40’s and 50’s, cross-drilled rotors won't help much. Rotors were first ‘drilled’ because early brake pad materials gave off gasses when heated to racing temperatures – a process known as ‘gassing out’. These gasses then formed a thin layer between the brake pad face and the rotor, acting as a lubricant and effectively lowering the coefficient of friction. The holes were implemented to give the gasses ‘somewhere to go’. It was an effective solution, but today’s friction materials do not exhibit the same gassing out phenomenon as the early pads. Contrary to popular belief they don’t lower temperatures (in fact, by removing weight from the rotor, the temperatures can actually increase a little), they create stress risers allowing the rotor to crack sooner, and make a mess of brake pads – sort of like a cheese grater rubbing against them at every stop.

For most performance applications slotted is the preferred choice. Slotting helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad.

Even Stoptech on their site state that cross drilled rotors are more for appearance on the street rather than performance. Here's a quote from Stoptech:

"A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage. Many customers prefer the look of a drilled rotor and for street and occasional light duty track use they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors."

First start with better brake pads. They will help way more than getting a stock sized slotted/cross drilled rotor. Once you have good pads then I would recommend looking into slotted rotors:top:

I run slotted rotors on my truck:biggrin:

X-Band

Reaction score
IMO slotted is fine unless you regularly see track time.

Knight Runner

Reaction score
i love the look of drilled holes or with slotted. Looks are nice too.

futuristicxman

Reaction score
Anyone try cryogenic rotors yet. There is very little discussion about them here. I bought them for a Camry front and so far I am impressed. Most of the feedback on the internet is all positive. I am going to try them out on my X. Anyone with me ?

bluedemon

Reaction score
dempled and drilled are just for looks, id run slotted tho, helps cut down on break fade and cheaper...

Top Bottom