Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wider tires on stock rims?

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
I have been searching around awhile to find the answer but I couldn't find it. What is the widest tire you can put on the stock rims (OEM 18's) safely? Hopefully this hasn't been posted up to much... thanks in advanced guys and girls. :adore:

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
255 is about as wide as you want to go unfortunately.

Thanks for the quick answer. My bro was buying new tires for his M3 and he could put slightly wider tires on so I just thought maybe I could too.... but guess not:thumpdown:

Sorry for another newb question but I don't really know much about tires. So the 255 Invo's are as wide as 275 other tires? Thanks again

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=38299

Last edited:

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Stoner-x has mounted something wider than that however. Maybe you should check with him and inquire about issues, and concerns...Heres the thread :top:

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=29430

Thats too wide IMO.. I just want something safe that gives me a little more grip. Can someone explain to me how the 255 invo's were almost 1" wider on the stock rims than the bridgestones (Link I posted earlier) I was more thinking maybe going from 255 to 265 but definitely not 285! Thanks for the awesome help guys

Grumpy

Reaction score
Thats too wide IMO.. I just want something safe that gives me a little more grip. Can someone explain to me how the 255 invo's were almost 1" wider on the stock rims than the bridgestones (Link I posted earlier) I was more thinking maybe going from 255 to 265 but definitely not 285! Thanks for the awesome help guys

Get tire with more grip. Wider tire don't necessary translate into more grip, there just more of it. Try Nitto NT-05 or Falken 615K. Now, like all things, sacrifice will be made when shifting priority. More grip = shorter tire life.

And for tire sizing, much like shoe on your feet. Some manufacture run a bit wider, some narrower.....thats just how it is. Same can be said for shirt, pants, dress......
Manufacture tolerance vary from one to the next.

hiflyer

Reaction score
KDW NT's !!!!

summer only but youll be happy with them :)

Urban X = good prices & a rockin guy
or costco

darthyota

Reaction score
KDW NT's !!!!

summer only but youll be happy with them :)

Urban X = good prices & a rockin guy
or costco

X2 on urban expressions bob is an awesome guy to deal with I've bought 4 sets of tires and 2 sets of rims from him. If you go see him tell him anthony sent you

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation guys. Appreciated. Just another question. I have been reading tons of great reviews on the KDWs but then after reading Xrunnit's thread I'm kind of questioning it.

Direct quote "These tires get awesome reviews in the corvette forums. Highly recommended behind the Nitto NT05s. Can't say the same about the KDW2's though..." Is he talking about the same KDW's you guys are or a different model? Thanks again.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Anyone else know? Was Xrunnit's description of a different KDW model? Thanks again

Murderface

Reaction score
XrunniT didnt like the KDWII's and switched to stock size Nitto Invos. I also have the Invos in stock size and they grip like a mofo. I scared the shit outta my buddy saturday night by taking a turn way beyond what his AWD Bimmer can do. But be warned the Invos are summer tires and suck BALLZ in the snow, not so bad in the winter if the ground is dry though.

I didnt get the KDWII's because all I kept hearing about was how noisy they were and Ive had noisey tires before and didnt want to chance it again. The Invos make absolutely no noise on the road

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tell you what. Buy the KDW's and run them until time to buy new ones. Then buy the Nitto Invos. You will never go back after the you feel how the Invos grip in the non winter months. They stick weather wet or dry.

Just don't drive like a crazy man and you'll get a decent life out of them.

STONER-X

Reaction score
Stoner-x has mounted something wider than that however. Maybe you should check with him and inquire about issues, and concerns...Heres the thread :top:

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=29430

ya i went with the nitto 555 in a 285-40-18 (stock profile but about an inch wider) 30K later i still love them BUT they are too wide straight line grip is great but you lose your turning abilities cause the rims are able to "wiggle" inside the tire... other than that I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY about the wider tire.... although i have in countered a problem that i noticed the other day... it looks to me that cause the tire is soo wide that it almost looks like the tread is seperating..... i am going to bring it back to discount and see what they say...... ill post some pics later.... i think it has to do with the large bulge created... if the tires are bad i will see what my options are... i will either go back stock size (which i dont want to) or i will see about having my rims widened to fit the 285's large profile and go for round two...

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Thanks for explanation, it makes sense to me now. I already have winter tires so the INVOS won't be a problem. From your guys reviews looks like I'll go for the Nitto Invos in the stock size. Thanks again for taking you time and explaining it for me!

rich017

Reaction score
Thanks for explanation, it makes sense to me now. I already have winter tires so the INVOS won't be a problem. From your guys reviews looks like I'll go for the Nitto Invos in the stock size. Thanks again for taking you time and explaining it for me!

The Invo's are a great tire and not too expensive.

Nitto tires are also wider. So with a stock size Invo, it will be wider than the equivalent size of the Potenza and KDW 2.

STONER-X

Reaction score
i have been considering the invo's for my replacement.... i have no regrets with the 555's... both have great reviews... i got the 555's for more drag reasons but never went to the track to test them out.... i think that the invo's are going to be a great street performance tire....

i will have to see what discount will say about my tires now....

rich017

Reaction score
i have been considering the invo's for my replacement.... i have no regrets with the 555's... both have great reviews... i got the 555's for more drag reasons but never went to the track to test them out.... i think that the invo's are going to be a great street performance tire....

i will have to see what discount will say about my tires now....

We can get Invo's at Discount Tire.

What's wrong with your current tires

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
So you guys would recommend the Nitto invos over the S-drives or the Hankook v12 evos? Thanks again

madness unseen

Reaction score
wait, someone please clarify, since i have seen both: is the 245 width, or the 255, the OEM tire size? ( i understand brand differences, just like my Adidas shoes are different sizes from the Nikes i used to wear) but what size "ARE THEY"

Top Bottom