Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Black Headlight Mod

Sykotic336

Reaction score
Very Helpful BHLM Sealing Tip

An awesome tip to resealing the headlights pretty well is to apply alot of silicone using a .3oz tube of loctite clear silicone per headlights and to use 1inch clamps ( that you can buy from any hardware store with the rubber tips ) to hold the headlight together. A 24hour period should be good enough for it to be cured and to be in use but if you wish to have it held longer than you may do so but 24hours should be good enough. The one inch will just fit with enough force to hold them shut tightly. You can use more than the arrows are indicaded just those are the spots you need them to be at so a total of 6 1inch clamps will be needed. The three screws that hold the side should be enough to hold that side together.

You may also want to use this:
http://images.lowes.com/general/b/bg_clamp_grip.jpg
to hold the top together since 1inch clamps are big enough. But be careful not to make it too tight since you may crack the lens.

Ive done this with a couple of my last pairs of headlights and this is way better than holding it with your hands and getting silicone on your hands and getting your headlights all gluey and having it leak since you would have to hold it for a while for it to dry. This is almost 100% seal proof.

-Manny

blknblubkrdude

Reaction score
I just did my BHLM yesterday.

I went to WalMart and got a large tube of "GOOP RV" clear silicon. It was about $3 and it meant for sealing basically anything on an
RV.
I also got 2 cans of Krylon Fusion Satin Black.

I used a heat gun instead of puting them in the oven. That way I directed the heat and it only took about 2 minutes to get it heated up, and I didn't have to worry about catching anything on fire or burning myself on the hot headlight.

I put both the parking and turn lenses back in and it looks great.

Total cost: $11.00

Will get picks soon.

blknblubkrdude

Reaction score
Random14021.jpg

Random14020.jpg

Random14031.jpg

Rez146

Reaction score
anyone in the south florida area done there own black houseing headlamps?

SWB Baby

Reaction score
Is this a hard mod to do by yourself ?, Ive been wanting to do it since ive saw this thread

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
It's easy... just don't be scared to do it.
Once you do, you'll wonder why you didn't sooner! :top:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
It's easy... just don't be scared to do it.
Once you do, you'll wonder why you didn't sooner! :top:

Thats what i keep telling myself. I really dont want to screw myself on these. It seems easy and all, but it also seems like i can royally f@*k them up too. Hahaha!! im a big chicken.

:withstupid:

teamben158

Reaction score
I'm tackling this mod tonight! I can't stand looking at the chrome headlights on my BSP any longer :top:

UPDATE: Just finished putting everything back together a little bit ago. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Thanks to this thread, finding that damn 4th bolt wasn't that bad. I actually undid the inner fender like Coupe suggested, but actually found it easier to just lay under the truck to loosen it. I undid all the other bolts, blindly reached up there and found it after a few minutes.

I baked them at 310 for 10 minutes and they came apart really easily. I left both of the reflectors out as well. I'll try to take pictures this weekend, just gotta wash the truck first. I'm ashamed of how dirty the X is right now.

Last edited:

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
real quick...can i hit up the bezels with 1000 grit paper instead of a scuff pad?? i know for the first set i did i didnt prep or anything...i just sprayed it on but i have a few small chips and i kind of want to avoid that this time around...its putting the bezels back together with the lens that jacks everything up lol

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Well since my motor is blown and I've done nothing to my truck since I went put and yanked my headlights to do this. That 4th bolt wasn't too bad. Even in my underground parking with minimal lighting. Gonna take my time and do this over the next few days. Wish me luck!!! After the lights I'll be pulling my billet grills and painting them black to match as well!!!!!

DesertWarrior505

Reaction score
so.....anyone know where i can get the clear glass portion of our headlights? i had a small crack i guess in the passenger side one and when i added the heat it cracked and exploded....just my luck but atleast these were my spares for my other lights...

djcsx-runner

" I love blue waffles"
Reaction score
bhlm

i did this mod last night and i dont know why i was so scared to do it was a breeze thanks for the write up here is a picture ill put more up later

Attachments

• bhlm.jpg
    bhlm.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 158

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I just reinstalled my lights from doing this. Like ^^^ you just don't know why the heck it took me so long to do it lol. Just have to paint my grills to match then I'll post some pics :)

HIexpectations

Reaction score
hey wussup man..im kinda new at this but i had a question, say i already painted my housing black and i wanted to reopen it to clean the lens (because my lens is fogging up and wated to clean it) will the heating process damage the paint to where i have to repaint it??

InfernoX

Reaction score
Has anyone used gloss black on their headlight bezel? If so how did it look instead of the satin? Also what are yall using to reseal the headlights with? Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom