Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Guage color change DONE!

rexrunner

Reaction score
first off sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I wasnt sure. here it is

I think the white looks pretty sick,:top:

Source: www.toyotanation.com

Submited by: Jotaro

Added - Here is how to remove the cluster Write-up: http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=788

I began my obsession to have a better viewing when I'm driving:
IMG_2107copy.jpg

IMG_2096copy.jpg

IMG_2095copy.jpg

IMG_2097copy.jpg

IMG_2135copy.jpg

IMG_2100copy.jpg

IMG_2101copy-1.jpg

IMG_2099copy.jpg

IMG_2123copy.jpg

IMG_2126copy.jpg

IMG_2132copy.jpg

IMG_2134copy.jpg

IMG_2136copy.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

You see how hard it is to read characters in f'in amber?

There were 10 LED's total that I replaced.
**The needles DO NOT reset themselves!!!! Please be sure to mark where they sit before removing them from the face.**
I now I can Ride In Peace

the LED's that I used were 3.5mm x 2.8mm x 2.0mm
they are rated at 3.6V.

The tools are just basic soldering tools, but has to have that sharp/needle point, PCB will handle the heat, that's why they have "solder-mask" (that green color on the PCB, that's the soldermask layer, not the material, material is neutral color-or sometimes black for lighting issue).

Basically you can change any color on your gauge to the color of your liking; needles and all indicators.

Unfortunately the AC panel uses incandecent lamps and also plastic amber-tinted window for the knobs (that arrow on the knob).

I'm still trying to see if I can change the clock color into yellowish-green or blueish-green.

Last edited by a moderator:

xtoplinex

Reaction score
W0W they look sweeet! :top: Will you help me..:laugh:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am SOOOOOOOOOOO doing this mod! That looks so much better than the orange!

05Xrunner

Reaction score
wasnt his truck...he just used someones writeup from toyotanation to show how to do it on our trucks.

Where do you get the new lights from..never mentioned that. Looks kinda hard.

rexrunner

Reaction score
hey guys it wasnt me, like 05 said I just got this from TN and figured everyone would liketo see it. :top:

rexrunner

Reaction score
Why is your truck auto..lol[/QUOTE]

I put an air shifter in the truck lol

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Ok guys, im going to add what leds he used as soon as he post it up, just wanted to let you know that im working on getting that for you :top:

05Xrunner

Reaction score
i would love to do mine in blue...I just think it looks a bit to much into it.

REG CAB X

Reaction score
I used to work at a factory that made instrument clusters like this for honda's toyota's and a few others. My main concern in doing this would be pulling the pointers off and not being able to verify the gauges accuracy after reinstalling the pointers. Some of the pointers at work would actually break the shaft off the movement when you try to pull it off and then you are totally screwed. Yeah sure you can probably get it close but what if?
You could put the cluster back in the truck without the pointers and start the truck let it warm up to operating temp and then put the pointers back on. Ofcourse you would have to mark the pointers location prior to disassembly. This would get everything back close to factory spec.

XDsm

Reaction score
Sweet:adore: Let us know when he posts up more details.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
that looks sweet!!! Only thing is I can't see the odo...Is it just the picture or is the light so bright you can't read it. I wanna do this mod but am too scared I would screw this up.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing is I can't see the odo...

I'm thinking I would leave the ODO amber. Looks like a PITA to get it out and it would still match the needles.

I'll tell ya - the amber is one of the things I have disliked since my azz first hit the seat. Amber gauges = cheap to me. :dontknow:

rx-runner

Reaction score
we should meet up and we all should do it at the same time

morcheez

Reaction score
that looks pretty good but i hardly ever use my gauges ...now if someone could put the tac in the middle that would be sweet

XDsm

Reaction score
that looks sweet!!! Only thing is I can't see the odo...Is it just the picture or is the light so bright you can't read it. I wanna do this mod but am too scared I would screw this up.
:top: Just the camera angle.
IMG_2141.jpg

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I just added the removal instructions (Write-up: Disable 2005+ Door Buzzer ) to the "how to" section and i also included a link to it in the original post in this thread :top:

Top Bottom