Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Guage color change DONE!

Stevenredx

Reaction score
As an FYI, the amber colored gauges are amber for a reason, I don't know what, but its not for being cheap.

My mother has an 04 5-series BMW and all the gauges are amber. And BMW doesn't do anything cheap. So there is a logical reason behind the amber color, though I'm not a fan. Even in a bmw it still looks like crap.

You are correct.... they say its easier on your eyes or some crap :dontknow:

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
Iam with you shadow.its easier on the eyes in the dark.:top:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
so..... If I pick up the LEDs, does someone want to help me out with this at X-Fest. Id like to do white numbers with blue needles if possible.

Justin

Stevenredx

Reaction score
how long did this project take you to do?

It all depends on how fast you can solder... i say take your time and set aside a couple of hours so your not rushing. When i first did mine i think i soldered on it for like 2 hrs but i did my needles and everything. At the twisted XR-Mini meet i did 3 and it only took me about 30 minutes on each one, but that was not counting the time to remove it and install back in the truck :top:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
It all depends on how fast you can solder... i say take your time and set aside a couple of hours so your not rushing. When i first did mine i think i soldered on it for like 2 hrs but i did my needles and everything. At the twisted XR-Mini meet i did 3 and it only took me about 30 minutes on each one, but that was not counting the time to remove it and install back in the truck :top:

Does this mean you can do mine at X-Fest ? :top: pllllleeeeaaassee....

Justin

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a way to do a short (3-4 hour) mod day on Sunday instead of a cruise. A cruise before a 8-10 hour drive just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Anyone have options on how we can make this happen, last minute?

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We could do simple mods like Fog Light Mod, Remove lower bumper piece, Dash LEDs (if we have power), and I'm sure that Glen will have a slew of products for sale. I will also try to get a couple of UED HID kits for anyone that may be interested and we could install those. :top:

Lemme know what you come up with Kev! Are you in good with any of the local garages?

Stevenredx

Reaction score
We could do simple mods like Fog Light Mod, Remove lower bumper piece, Dash LEDs (if we have power), and I'm sure that Glen will have a slew of products for sale. I will also try to get a couple of UED HID kits for anyone that may be interested and we could install those. :top:

Lemme know what you come up with Kev! Are you in good with any of the local garages?

I'm down for that... i guess if this is the plan, anyone wanting to do dash light mods order your LED's and bring them with you and we will see what we can get done, I'm sure there will be plenty of help. And as far as power goes, I'm pretty sure the outlet in the bed will be good enough for some soldering :top:

I've order the LEDs... but how do you change the needles?

Cursed

You will need about 9 more LED's (i think thats how many) and you will have to scratch off the orange paint from the back side of needles and your done.

I would order 20 LED's and that should be enough with a couple of spares left over :top:

uh60rotorhead

Reaction score

Not really. I wouldn't imagine that anyone would want to open on Sunday anyway.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well maybe we just keep Sunday as a short cruise, photos, lunch and goodbyes -- then if we want to do a mod day we can do one in NC or VA in a month or so.

Don't stress too much over this one. I just want to make sure that Sunday isn't too crazy since people have long drives home. We'll figure it out - play it by ear.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Steven is there a write up on doing the needles?

Cursed

No, you will see the LEDs that you need to change when you have it all apart. As far as the needles go they have a coat of orange paint on the back side. I used a hobby knife and scraped all of it off. :top:

NITRAM-X

Reaction score
Steven is there a write up on doing the needles?

Cursed

i used a fine grit sand paper after i got all the paint off just to smooth them off, and make sure to get ALL the paint off, even whats inside the needle or it will show through.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
FYI,

If the break the hell out of the clear plastic :)rolleyez: )

or scratch it,

you can get one from the dealer for like 20 bucks :top:

dont ask........

Top Bottom