Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Ride Control Air Assist by Air Lift

FireB

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here.

I was wondering if anyone has the QA1's with this setup.
It seems like the stock shock cover (The blue plastic piece) is only about 2mm away from the bag itself.
I'd like to order the QA1's but if the shock itself has bigger diameter, I might see a problem of it rubbing to the air bag.

Anyone have any solid info on this? Thanks!

Mortifer

Reaction score
I just spoke with a lady at Air Lift, she had to go ask a tech, they do not offer a kit for the X-Runner, looks like the OP's modification is the way to go.

I've been searching and reading reviews on Amazon too, so many negative reviews saying they lose air in a day or two and defects that are hard to get refunds when mailed back to Air Lift.

Are there any other kits/manufacturers people recommend?

toyota_rod

Reaction score
i ran qa1s with mine for about 7 months until the driver side shock wouldnt adjust anymore..maybe the stiffness of the shock along with bag being aired messed it up somehow..my recommendation would be keep the qas' at a low/ soft setting when aired up..facto shocks work fine for me...and you could just remove the dust cover also but they in no way put a bind on the bag

FireB

Reaction score
I just spoke with a lady at Air Lift, she had to go ask a tech, they do not offer a kit for the X-Runner, looks like the OP's modification is the way to go.

I've been searching and reading reviews on Amazon too, so many negative reviews saying they lose air in a day or two and defects that are hard to get refunds when mailed back to Air Lift.

Are there any other kits/manufacturers people recommend?

Sure, I know that they don't offer one for the X-Runner and did the offset mod like the OP.
The problem is, the bag lays right in between the swaybar and the shock.
Considering the fact that the QA1's are larger in diameter, it is a tight fit.
I can't say that it would not fit but the BLUE COVER on the stock shocks are already slightly hitting the bags.
Hence, I have a feeling that the QA1's might be a problem rubbing against the bag.
I'm sure that you can probably move the bags a little inward toward the sways but only have about 3mm clearance on the swaybar side.

Also, my kit does not lose that much air at all.
It usually takes about 1 week to lose about 10lbs max.
If you are losing so much air, you should do a leakdown test with the soapy water and see which joint is leaking air.
I think their system is well built.

i ran qa1s with mine for about 7 months until the driver side shock wouldnt adjust anymore..maybe the stiffness of the shock along with bag being aired messed it up somehow..my recommendation would be keep the qas' at a low/ soft setting when aired up..facto shocks work fine for me...and you could just remove the dust cover also but they in no way put a bind on the bag

How were you able to run the QA1's with the bag?!
I know you have no problem on the passenger's side since the shock is located on the front side of the axle.
Is there any clearance issue with yours hitting the sway bars?
I was thinking about doing sways and QA1's and just don't seem like there is enough room to do both because of the clearance issue......

Mortifer

Reaction score
Sure, I know that they don't offer one for the X-Runner and did the offset mod like the OP.
The problem is, the bag lays right in between the swaybar and the shock.
Considering the fact that the QA1's are larger in diameter, it is a tight fit.
I can't say that it would not fit but the BLUE COVER on the stock shocks are already slightly hitting the bags.
Hence, I have a feeling that the QA1's might be a problem rubbing against the bag.
I'm sure that you can probably move the bags a little inward toward the sways but only have about 3mm clearance on the swaybar side.

Also, my kit does not lose that much air at all.
It usually takes about 1 week to lose about 10lbs max.
If you are losing so much air, you should do a leakdown test with the soapy water and see which joint is leaking air.
I think their system is well built.

Thank you, this is good info! I guess I'll give their system a try, hauling a trailer and bike in the truck on stock suspension makes it ride quite low. I have stock shocks and stock sway bar.

toyota_rod

Reaction score
i guess i forgot to mention that my offset on the mounting plate was a little more than what the op was...my bags dont sit exactly straight up and down but then again i never put anymore than 15 pounds..roger?

Mortifer

Reaction score
i guess i forgot to mention that my offset on the mounting plate was a little more than what the op was...my bags dont sit exactly straight up and down but then again i never put anymore than 15 pounds..roger?

Is 15 pounds enough to "support" and level out an 800lb load ya think? Is there any risk in having the bag at that slight angle?

FireB

Reaction score
airbag.jpg

Just taking the picture on the driver's side of the air bag with the stock struts.
I did the amount to shift the countersunk on the bottom plate as the OP.

Personal opinion, I would have moved it a little (mayb 1/8 inch) more toward the inside but I think it is more of a luck since if you go too inside, you will hit the sway bars it seems like.

Having the bag on an angle would probably put a stress on the top and the bottom of the bag since it would be out of alignment. I guess anyone would have guessed this....
But I am not too sure how much of a stress it would put.
I know I am not answering your question straight but this is something that you might have to gamble a little.

As for putting 2 bikes, I would probably recommend you to get this.
I had 1 bike without it and it did not feel good but after putting 20psi in the back, it felt a little more firm.
Hopefully (knock on wood), I would take 2 bikes down to Tail of the Dragon this year and that air lift system will be a good investment.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Yes you have to modify the lower bracket to clear, yes it will rub the sway bar slightly and may touch the shock(I run QA1s). Yes you can run up to 100lbs in them, if you need that much to level out, you have a LOT of weight in the bed. Yes they may lose air if you do a poor job at cutting the ends of the tubing. Yes, they are the best thing this truck will ever have if you intend to carry ANY weight in this truck when lowere. No, they dont degrade the ride quality because you only add air when loaded. When I load up/trail, I go 1 click firmer on the shocks.
I did have one bag fail from rubbing on the sway bar 3 months ago. Then again, I installed the kit in 2006.

Mortifer

Reaction score
Yes you have to modify the lower bracket to clear, yes it will rub the sway bar slightly and may touch the shock(I run QA1s). Yes you can run up to 100lbs in them, if you need that much to level out, you have a LOT of weight in the bed. Yes they may lose air if you do a poor job at cutting the ends of the tubing. Yes, they are the best thing this truck will ever have if you intend to carry ANY weight in this truck when lowere. No, they dont degrade the ride quality because you only add air when loaded. When I load up/trail, I go 1 click firmer on the shocks.
I did have one bag fail from rubbing on the sway bar 3 months ago. Then again, I installed the kit in 2006.

Sounds good! Just ordered it!

Do you (or anyone) have an on board air system or do you fill it manually? how often do you have to add air when not loaded to maintain the 5lbs? (not supposed to run it empty, right?)

CBRBob

Reaction score
Sounds good! Just ordered it!

Do you (or anyone) have an on board air system or do you fill it manually? how often do you have to add air when not loaded to maintain the 5lbs? (not supposed to run it empty, right?)

I have their onboard compressor. I add air when loaded, dump it when not needed. I never add air to keep the minimum, it stays.

Mortifer

Reaction score
I have their onboard compressor. I add air when loaded, dump it when not needed. I never add air to keep the minimum, it stays.

Thank you for all your great responses, I appreciate the input.:top:

What approx pressure do you run when loaded?
I believe the instructions say its good for 10-100psi. (and to always leave 10psi in it when unloaded)
I ran 60 empty to test it today and damn it's bouncy, as expected. :)

I redrilled the bottom mounts a few days back and put the air bags on yesterday.
I went with the 7/8's redrill and the passenger side is not inline at all, it clears the sway bar but I hope it doesn't cause it to self destruct.
The driver side also clears the sway bar fine but the blue shock cover would have rubbed it bad, so it got trimmed up a little.

FireB

Reaction score
That seems to be the same case for me too.
I just had a Miata Motor with Tranny and all other accessory on the bed of my truck last weekend.

mazdaspeed.jpg

I have a leveler inside the car.
After the engine went on the bed, I had to raise the back to 60psi to make it level like a stock.
I always keep 10psi in there so 50psi extra.
Miata motor, tranny, and accessory is probably about 700-800lbs lbs?
I am lowered with 2 inch block but never bottomed out with 60psi in it.
It kinda proves that it is working.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about adding these any special thoughts with my setup:
Sitting Sic Composite leafs, sway bars and QA1.

Also what is the best price found on the kit?

Mortifer

Reaction score
I have been thinking about adding these any special thoughts with my setup:
Sitting Sic Composite leafs, sway bars and QA1.

Also what is the best price found on the kit?

Air bags may not work with composite leafs....

I installed a set of Air lift bags a week ago and love them (used them once so far with the trailer and a bike in the bed and they are awesome!)
I got'm from Summit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-59564/

It makes a world of difference pulling a full trailer, never bottoms out, feels very solid.
My truck has stock shocks and isn't lowered.

I will throw on the all in one compressor kit next and be set - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-25854/

AbunaiXR

Reaction score
Old thread revival!

Curious as to how much lift does a fully inflated bag give? Say I have a 3in drop, and use this kit, will it raise the truck up a good amount? (not that i want it to) I dont do any towing or hauling, this is strictly for ride and comfort purposes with minimal frame clearance.

MorganCity_X

Reaction score
i had my helper bags on with 2 3/4" blocks and it would raise to stock level just about..but pretty uncomfortable to ride unless you actually have weight in the bed

AbunaiXR

Reaction score
i had my helper bags on with 2 3/4" blocks and it would raise to stock level just about..but pretty uncomfortable to ride unless you actually have weight in the bed

How much psi were you running to reach that point? I read you can just put 5psi and it runs decently well with no weight in the rear.

MorganCity_X

Reaction score
it would lift all the way on an empty bed at around 40 pounds..didnt take much..its recommended that you dont run any less than 5 pounds at any time..i was just saying if you run with say 20 pounds on an empty bed, it sucks...it was great to have by all means..i may be running them again after my box is built

Top Bottom