Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Transmission Fluid Change

Reaction score
did you use a new m12 washer? you can get about 2 changes out of 1 but after that you generally have a small leak.

good info. I was wanting to do this when I get back from vacation. I changed my oil myself yesterday for the first time. Wasn't too bad. Im runnin full synthetic now.

micpun

Reaction score
I know the last two people asked but Is there somebody who can fix the pics for the writeup?

07XRsteve

Reaction score
Me and braves011 did this today with my X it was a b**ch to even think about trying to pure it in that plug she he showed me how to put it through the shifter...dives 100 percent better shifting is so much smoother

Edgeman

Reaction score
Source: Customtacos.com

2. Take the fill plug out before draining (helps with draining)

This is a very good practice to follow for all vehicles because you don't want to drain your transmission, only to find the fill plug has siezed in the case. You would be stuck! Always pull the fill plug first! Always!

I've always used a little hand pump to put the fluid into my transmissions & diffs.

Link to the $7.99 hand pump that I use:

http://yhst-59326584023620.stores.yahoo.net/hand-oil-pump.html

Cheers!

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE REDLINE MT-90. NO ONE CARRIES IT AROUND HERE:dontknow: .

Check your local independent BMW shops. Most of the ones I've visited carry Redline Oils. (I know Atlantic Autowerks on VB Blvd carries it)

Last edited:

SuperSnipe

Reaction score
im looking to do this in the next weekend but had a question...

when you open up the transimission up top from the shifter mount, is there a gasket or seal that has to be replaced?

thanks

Reaction score
There will be rtv gasket maker on it. Pick up a tube I find the black worked the best

busahaya03

Reaction score
Great write up, thanks for the info... I really regret not filling it up from the top end, it would have saved me a few dribbles from the oil... By the way, I ended up using Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic... I did not notice that much of an improvement... Next up for me is the differential...

Nelson

SuperSnipe

Reaction score
i will be using Lucas Oil 75W-90

i was gonna go with Mobil 1 like busahaya aswell.

busahaya03

Reaction score
i will be using Lucas Oil 75W-90

i was gonna go with Mobil 1 like busahaya aswell.

Hey SuperSnipe, I would highly recommend you top of the Trans Oil from the top of the shifter assembly... Also, for those that filled from the top of the shifter, did you just dump 2 qt's anywhere within that section? reason I ask is because I noticed when I removed the shifter lever for shit's and giggles, there is an area were the ball joint hooks up to and and there was some grease, silver/grey color, is that something to be concerned about? I would not want to mix grease and trans fluid.....:thumpdown:

SuperSnipe

Reaction score
Hey SuperSnipe, I would highly recommend you top of the Trans Oil from the top of the shifter assembly... Also, for those that filled from the top of the shifter, did you just dump 2 qt's anywhere within that section? reason I ask is because I noticed when I removed the shifter lever for shit's and giggles, there is an area were the ball joint hooks up to and and there was some grease, silver/grey color, is that something to be concerned about? I would not want to mix grease and trans fluid.....:thumpdown:

i haven't even taken off the shifter mount yet. if i remember correctly there are 2 bolts that need to come off . Can't really see that well in the pics, but just out of curiosity, does the shifter come off with it or is it a seperate removal? i guess i'll figure it out.

anywho, from what i could see in the pictures, you don't add oil in the slot where the ball-end of the shifter mounts....it would be anywhere around that. im guessing that's where the ball and roller grease was at( in the slot)? busahaya ?

can anyone confirm this?

thanks

JayJay

Reaction score
has anyone used the royal purple fluid for the transmission and rear diff. i need some on this stuff

Stevenredx

Reaction score
has anyone used the royal purple fluid for the transmission and rear diff. i need some on this stuff

I'm running RP in the diff, it must be working ok because nothings broke yet. :laugh:

CJX-RUNNER

Reaction score
I'm running RP in the diff, it must be working ok because nothings broke yet. :laugh:

I am getting ready to do a diff change... But what are the benefits and did anyone "feel" a difference after a change to synthetic... i.e. RP, Redline, AMSoil ???

Top Bottom