Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WTB, open diff....again...

madtrucker

Reaction score
I'm learning alot here. Please continue. What do the pros use? Expensive stuff paid for by sponsors I'd imagine.

Gadget

Reaction score
I have driven a lot of trucks on the road with automatic lockers like the Detroit. You are not going to want one of those at all.

The only thing I would consider is an ARB Airlocker or a spool. The ARB is very nice, just flip the switch and it is locked and stays locked. Flip the switch again and it is unlocked. It is the strongest locker on the market for Toyota trucks.

Other than that, I would get busy with a welder again.

G

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
How about trying a prius or camry diff? Those would work better for your application sir :top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I have driven a lot of trucks on the road with automatic lockers like the Detroit. You are not going to want one of those at all.

The only thing I would consider is an ARB Airlocker or a spool. The ARB is very nice, just flip the switch and it is locked and stays locked. Flip the switch again and it is unlocked. It is the strongest locker on the market for Toyota trucks.

Other than that, I would get busy with a welder again.

G

Thing is he was on a budget (like us all)

ARB is gonna run you 800-1,000$ + more time involved

Myself and the other guy here have no issues with the auto lockers

I am satisfied with their performance on and offroad, have been for years (and it seems as if he was as well).

Sounds like the Lincoln locker is his choice of operation , and that he needs to try the other stuff out for himself.

For cost effectiveness and durability a minispool sounds like his best bet - I wouldnt drop a 1000$ air locker or even an auto locker in his drift truck if he doesnt give a shit about having an open dif on the road haha.

I'm learning alot here. Please continue. What do the pros use? Expensive stuff paid for by sponsors I'd imagine.

Yup more or less expensive stuff paid for by sponsors or sometimes even the over budget mall crawler and trail duster. :laugh:

they all lock up and they all have pros and cons, there are people that have owned ARB that have disliked the setup and gone a different approach to

With more complexity also comes a higher risk of failure in other areas some times.

The cable actuated ones need to be in adjustment to work properly.

The electrical ones can fail due to electrical damage to either wiring or mechanical/electrical component failure

The air ones can fail due to air line damage, compressor malfunction, system airleak, or electrical failure.

The auto lockers can fail if they aren't set up properly and due to actual component failure.

You can get stuck with them all... Lockers tend to get you into places that REALLY get you stuck lol.

Then its onto the ol' shovel, hi-lift jack, and the winch.

Really you cant take anyone elses opinion for your own - try the stuff out and decide what works best for you.

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Finnaly found a website with some folks talking about Detroit lockers and drifting...on a poo-stang forum, of all places...they say when you let off the gas it unlocks, similar to a one way diff.... that is no Bueno for the level drifting ill be doing....welded diff it is then.

Pretty much, shimming your stock LSD would yeild a Detroit locker....it wouldn't peg leg, but the off throttle behavior patterns are less the ideal for drifting duty...

99% of drivers who want a LSD, just want it for the stopping of pegleg burnouts, so the majority of them only lock under acceleration. For drifting, a two way or 1.5 way is needed.. :)

PS, I kept my radio. :) its nice to drown out the drone of my exhaust, every once and while with some Rise Against....plus, I just realized the music really calms my nerves when I get ready for the start of a competition.

Yup this is true although there are many advantages over an LSD (though it seems not for what your doing with it) with lockers.

The second you pull one wheel off the ground with LSD your done - but a locker will keep you moving if you do the same.

A locker also doesnt slip like an LSD you are transmitting all the power you have to the wheel(s) with traction all of the time on or off the ground. The LSD I think is said to transmit 40-60% while an autolocker will do 95%

This is where the disadvantage in the front axle of a truck is with auto lockers comes into play... During normal conditions the locker in the front axle is pretty much transparent since there is no torque being applied to it. Now if you put the truck in the snow in 4x4 now your locked all the time and it can be hazardous to steer as the locker will try to fight you (some can drive like this no problem others cant). This is why a selectable locker in the front of a street vehicle (be it air, electric, manual, w.e) can be beneficial and a rear auto locker really isnt a big deal.

In the rear the locker pretty much locks under throttle and unlocks coasting around turns (which is what you want and what its designed to do).

minispool it is!

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]
Yup this is true although there are many advantages over an LSD (though it seems not for what your doing with it) with lockers.

The second you pull one wheel off the ground with LSD your done - but a locker will keep you moving if you do the same.

A locker also doesnt slip like an LSD you are transmitting all the power you have to the wheel(s) with traction all of the time on or off the ground. The LSD I think is said to transmit 40-60% while an autolocker will do 95%

This is where the disadvantage in the front axle of a truck is with auto lockers comes into play... During normal conditions the locker in the front axle is pretty much transparent since there is no torque being applied to it. Now if you put the truck in the snow in 4x4 now your locked all the time and it can be hazardous to steer as the locker will try to fight you (some can drive like this no problem others cant). This is why a selectable locker in the front of a street vehicle (be it air, electric, manual, w.e) can be beneficial and a rear auto locker really isnt a big deal.

In the rear the locker pretty much locks under throttle and unlocks coasting around turns (which is what you want and what its designed to do).

minispool it is!

No one has ever made a mini spool for a Toyota diff that I am aware of

STONER-X

Reaction score
just as a wondering thought...

SDX isn't your truck your DD? why dont you get two rear axle assembly's??? one "normal" for DD and have a welded for your drift events??

your welded ones are getting tore up from daily street driving with normal turns...

i couldn't imagine it would take too long to undo the u-bolts, shocks, and drive line...

the only PITA would be the brake lines...

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
It would probably be easier to just buy a cheap ass beater car for a DD and leave the truck for track duties.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
just as a wondering thought...

SDX isn't your truck your DD? why dont you get two rear axle assembly's??? one "normal" for DD and have a welded for your drift events??

your welded ones are getting tore up from daily street driving with normal turns...

i couldn't imagine it would take too long to undo the u-bolts, shocks, and drive line...

the only PITA would be the brake lines...

Im guessing you've never pulled out one of our rear ends or 3rd members? Its very labor intensive...

+1 to beater daily driver.

Gadget, if my truck was gonna stay a daily driver, I'd probably consider a ARB air locker. But with tracking down my second open diff for ~$50 bucks, plus another $50 to have a PROFESSIONAL Fabricator weld it. That leaves about $1000 or so dollars do spend on tires, events, booze, and broads.

Think About it....my truck is the drifting equivalent of a trail rig, it shouldnt be driven om the road....im just too cheap to get a bigger truck and trailers to tow it around...

How about trying a prius or camry diff? Those would work better for your application sir :top:

13751421.jpg

Off road or drifting?

Drifting, typically the pros have $2000+ race tuned 2way clutch type LSDs, payed for by sponsors....often are rebuilt on a regular basis as the clutch plates don't last very long....

Daily driving a race tuned LSD (the way I'd want one set up), it might last 5k miles before needing it to be rebuilt.:rolleyez:

Some up and coming drifters find 2 way diffs used and rebuild them for them selves....considering the only 2way clutch type available for Toyota trucks, only fits fj/4runners diffs....there will never be a used 2way for a XR popping up.any time soon...

Of course, one could spend the money and have one custom made, or swap in a diffrent axle you could get one to.work....but unless a sponsor pays for it, you can net your bottom dollar ill be sticking with welded diffs. :top:

Still didn't clip them fog wires. Jesus. Lol

You can clip it your self...until then you can bet im gonna keep em dangling, just to bug you.

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
unless you do a t-56 swap and then go to a fj cruiser diff then you could use the os giken lsd

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I think its the old 8"

Its is. That stlye 3rd member wont fit into our housing. Diffrent bolt patter. Even though we (8.4" slang for ours) technically use a 8" ring gear like the old 8" diffs, the holes for the ring gear bolts don't even remotely line up.

If you want to know everything humanly possible About Toyota diffs, here is my rear end Bible. I confirmed this info with a local gear shop, and as far as he can recall it is all correct.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Its is. That stlye 3rd member wont fit into our housing. Diffrent bolt patter. Even though we (8.4" slang for ours) technically use a 8" ring gear like the old 8" diffs, the holes for the ring gear bolts don't even remotely line up.

If you want to know everything humanly possible About Toyota diffs, here is my rear end Bible. I confirmed this info with a local gear shop, and as far as he can recall it is all correct.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

And the fact that there is two different Toyota 8" diffs, with no "standard" name to distinguish them makes it a real pain in the ass to try and find what you are wanting sometimes.

And I found that link when I was searching for my gears, and it was the best thing I could have found to sort out everything.

STONER-X

Reaction score
Im guessing you've never pulled out one of our rear ends or 3rd members? Its very labor intensive...

correct i have not removed one....

yes get a new DD... i paid $500 for a 91 civic with no ac... the main keeper for me is 46MPG!!!!!

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
correct i have not removed one....

yes get a new DD... i paid $500 for a 91 civic with no ac... the main keeper for me is 46MPG!!!!!

That's Like what im looking for.... im trying to wait as long as possible to get one... as my god father is gonna have to stop driving very soon as he's getting weaker and losing feelings in his legs...:thumbdown:. The good news is he has a 00 civic in good condition WITH A/C. :top:

Regardless, the truck isn't undriveable in its current condition, as the welds seem to be holding, somewhat....I think the welds we rewelded failed, but the new plates we welded in might not have failed yet....:rolleyez:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Only one way to find out

Im pretty sure we have a small enough camera stick thingys at work, I bet if I Jack the ass of the truck up, I can get all the gear oil away from the fill plug and be able to insert the camera...but im gonna swap in the new welded diff regardless....

If your referring to driving it till it pops...that's a really expensive gamble...plus, if im gonna make a drive out to Texas, last thing I want is the 3rd member exploding in the bumfawkmiddle of noware....:laugh:

darthyota

Reaction score
no i more ment pull it to check it although with the camera tool you wouldnt have to pull it right out if you cant see through the fill plug although maybe its time to get the offroad style large fill plug installed so you can inspect your third with greater ease you know not having to pull hte third or use the little inspection camera to do so

Top Bottom