Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NEWS XRU: State of the Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After operating XRU for over 2 years now, I've learned a lot of things; I've made a lot friends too. But it's becoming increasingly evident that XRU has lost it's touch with it's roots. We've lost touch with what made us XRU. I knew from the beginning that running a forum with the goal of making it a community-based, non-argumentative website would be challenging but you all, the users, embraced it and helped us make it great.

But we've lost it. We are becoming like every other auto forum out there, little by little. Some have fought from the beginning to turn this place into an open forum for bantering and agendas. I'm hearing it from all angles; from my users... from my vendors... from my staff. So we have two options as I see it. Get back to basics and become what we were - a forum that invited new users into a non-aggressive environment. OR, we let the forum continue to develop it's own personality which will almost certainly turn it into a place for hatemongers.

We know that the users don't like what XRU is becoming. I've received plenty of private messages about it and so has my Staff. We've heard it in the chat room and we hear it at meets. So, now is the time for action.

Unfortunately the site has grown to the point that it has more personality and users than a small staff can handle. We can't read every thread and every post... or can we?

See, the XRU staff have been discussing this for months in the secrecy of our moderator forum here at XRU. Many of you don't know that there are forums that you can't see, but as an XRU staff member you are granted access to privileged information and conversations regarding all aspects of this website. And in that forum we have been talking about methods that we could use to bring XRU back to what it was, hopefully before it's too late.

So, here's what we plan to do:

Effective immediately, XRU will be implementing an infraction system. What does this mean? This means that any time that any user breaks one of our rules, listed here, the XRU staff will have the option of giving you an infraction. After "x" number of infractions your ability to post will be forfeited for a specified amount of time (typically 1 week, but could be up to 1 month). Also after "x" infractions you could even be banned from the site or put on a temporary probation (giving you reading privileges only). Please understand that this system will not be abused but it is meant to enforce the simple and straightforward rules that we have here which are being broken and abused. Requests via PM and in public threads aren't working, so this is our next try at enforcing our very simple rules.

Next, the moderators have been split up to patrol specific forums within XRU to ensure that as many threads and posts as possible will be read and moderated. I'm sure that in time you will figure out who is in charge of which forums.

I also want to be very clear on one thing - I'm not asking that you don't give your opinions here at XRU. So many people think that I try to censor everything and that I push for this product or that --- this vendor or that --- and it simply isn't the case. If you can backup your opinion with facts or with personal experience, fine. But this going round and round about difference of OPINIONS (with no basis other than personal preference) is growing old for all of us. In the future, we will be removing any posts that not relative to the post topic and giving infractions accordingly.

Also, I will be implementing some of the community features that have been lacking on the site since the XRU 2.0 launch.

Lastly, and most importantly - I want you guys to feedback on this thread. Got something on your mind? Say it. You WILL NOT be banned for speaking your mind here. We are working together to make XRU better. In the beginning I said that XRU was a forum that was "for the people, by the people." And I stand by that. I have tried not to run this place with an iron fist and that may have hurt it somewhat but it's through the PM's, emails and chatroom feedback that I have realized from you guys that you don't like where XRU is, or where it's going. So now is the time to tell me what you don't like - and hopefully potential solutions for making it better.

Please only post feedback relative to XRU in general. This isn't a time to discuss products.

Keep in mind guys that we try to look at the site from time to time as a new user would and recently there has been some real bad joo-joo going on here; between users, between vendors, and between users and vendors. It's not good, and it ends here.

The changes that I mentioned above may take a little bit to get into action but rest assured, they're coming.

Also, thanks for being a part of this and sticking through the rough times. It's all a learning process for me and the XRU staff and that includes learning how to deal with issues like this. Thanks for your support - thanks for your feedback - and thanks for reading such a long post. :biggrin:

Attachments

• state of the union.png
    state of the union.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 620

RunnerofX

Reaction score
maybe im missing something... but thats cool make the rules and stick to em i guess

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
I will get another infraction for speaking my mind, so ill keep it shut.

4VsX

Reaction score
Huh? Im not on here enough to figure out that things have been going a-stray. Good plan though! :top: I hope it all works out!

RunnerofX

Reaction score
Huh? Im not on here enough to figure out that things have been going a-stray. Good plan though! :top: I hope it all works out!

thats what im sayin...i dont read every post because i really only wanna read what interests me. so i guess im missing all the infractions. but im cool with that

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will get another infraction for speaking my mind, so ill keep it shut.

I know it was a long post, but this part was important:
I'm not asking that you don't give your opinions here at XRU.

Give your opinions all you want - but this bickering back and forth about personal preference is done. No one gets any worthy information from it, most notably the OP (original poster). I think we all agree with that.

thats what im sayin...i dont read every post because i really only wanna read what interests me. so i guess im missing all the infractions. but im cool with that

And most people don't need to worry at all about these changes; they won't affect the majority. I made this thread to let all those that have contacted know that I have read and discussed their concerns as I promised I would and that I'm trying to work toward solutions.

Inaction solves nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

RunnerofX

Reaction score
I know it was a long post, but this part was important:
I'm not asking that you don't give your opinions here at XRU.

Give your opinions all you want - but this bickering back and forth about personal preference is done. No one gets any worthy information from it, most notably the OP (original poster). I think we all agree with that.

And most people don't need to worry at all about these changes; they won't affect the majority. Inaction solves nothing.

cool im glad i dont affect the majority.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Hmmm.... this comes as a bit of a surprise.

I did notice some posts and posted materials in recent months that were subjectively questionable. Such materials have been with regards to photos that, however appealing they may be, create possible problems for those who view XRU while at work. There have also been some racial notations in a few postings. Under state and Federal EEOC statutes, a fellow coworker who sees these pics and notations can construe them as harrassment.

... And, no, I'm not making this up ...

Beyond that, there's also some use of suspect language in some postings. And, then, a few discussions and debates in threads that got a bit too energetic.

However, in a relative sense, when comparing XRU to other forums I've been on, all this has been VERY tame by comparison. I think we need to recognize XRU for what it has accomplished and the good points of what it has become. XRU is unique in its community aspect. Not many forums develop a community sense within its members, a community that creates friendships among members across typical boundaries that would normally separate people (race, religion, politics, etc) - even to the point where when members sell/trade/wreck the XRunner that first brought them to XRU to being with, they still stick around and continue to actively participate and contribute to that community. XRU is also unique in being one of few forums to openly welcome new members who don't even have an XRunner to begin with.

Yes, XRU has problems. Any forum will. But it's also got merits. Let's not forget that.

I do see your point, nonetheless, about XRU potentially degenerating into the morass of other forums and the needs to exercize some guard against that. I just hope it can be done in a manner that doesn't impact the community spirit of XRU.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do see your point, nonetheless, about XRU potentially degenerating into the morass of other forums and the needs to exercize some guard against that. I just hope it can be done in a manner that doesn't impact the community spirit of XRU.

I appreciate your feedback. It's good to hear different angles (especially the positive since I've been hearing A LOT of negative lately). The infractions will only affect those that break the rules over and over again. They know who they are and they have chosen not to heed previous warnings from myself and the other Moderators. It's takes a reasonable number of infractions before any action is taken against a user. It's not like 3 strikes and you're out --- users that receive infractions still get chances. This system is purely an automated way of tracking where the "problems" lie.

As you said, this is purely a preventative measure and more than likely the vast majority of users will not even notice the changes.

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
K2, I like you and respect you for everything you have done here at XRU. You have a great website and a great group of people here.

BUT....you want my opinion? Its biased. To manythings happen behind the scene and some notice it and some dont. IT has nothing to do with who is better, who makes more power, $ per HP or none of those arguments.

It has to do with almost all my post asking Gadget (the said vendor of my problems) deleting my post in his section, or SOMEHOW all my post toward him disappear. They never get answered. They get deleted like it never happened. I DID NOT try or incite a flame war this morning. The said thread was a
"Questions about TRD Supercharger"
Many people WITH a TRD S/C aiding his question and were helpful. Then, this said vendor came to the thread plugging his merchandise, in the TRD thread, off topic to the OP question...

Now, same situation reversed, if we did this in his section, it magically goes away. People who post and say "hey were did Dak's post go?"..they disappear. I know you guys say "its his section we have no control"...thats not the point. Its a double standard. Im tired of this TRD vs. URD crap that goes on here. If a TRD guy says something about a URD, we are "haters"....if the reverse happens....its okay? It happens all over.

Most of you who don't like me can call me a hater all you want, but i come from a world where where I like things to be fair. People on this site can have an opinion, with the exception of when it comes to Gadget. I understand he is a vendor..I understand he may bring a lot of people to the site and so on and so forth, but that shouldn't mean he is free from answering questions about his products, when the question may make him look bad.

Ive spent over $5,000 with URD, im not a hater. I like his products.

If you can backup your opinion with facts or with personal experience, fine. But this going round and round about difference of OPINIONS (with no basis other than personal preference)
Everyone who has been asking these questions to Gadget has the experience, no one in question has been saying anything nonfactual or something they cant back up. And they disappear.

I should have just kept my mouth shut but you asked.

Like me or hate me...

Ban me or keep me...

If someone could stop the censorship and the hiding...this would have never happened. I dont like my post disappearing all the time whenever i question the "man"

Dont believe me, read the thread that magically disappeared...i didnt flame anyone, i asked simple questions and stated simple facts....and got a magical infraction for it.

Ive said my peace...now i shall go back to being the "hey looks good man" type of guy...being that is all i can really say without stating an opinion.

COWBELL

Reaction score
Everything i remember seeing or reading since...well...late december has been fine... but yeah make the rules evident once again and enforce em. I did notice this forum seemed pretty free (or protected) from ***** trolls, thats why I like it here so much, keep up the good work!! :top:

dmbfan73

Reaction score
K2, I like you and respect you for everything you have done here at XRU. You have a great website and a great group of people here.

BUT....you want my opinion? Its biased. To manythings happen behind the scene and some notice it and some dont. IT has nothing to do with who is better, who makes more power, $ per HP or none of those arguments.

It has to do with almost all my post asking Gadget (the said vendor of my problems) deleting my post in his section, or SOMEHOW all my post toward him disappear. They never get answered. They get deleted like it never happened. I DID NOT try or incite a flame war this morning. The said thread was a
"Questions about TRD Supercharger"
Many people WITH a TRD S/C aiding his question and were helpful. Then, this said vendor came to the thread plugging his merchandise, in the TRD thread, off topic to the OP question...

Now, same situation reversed, if we did this in his section, it magically goes away. People who post and say "hey were did Dak's post go?"..they disappear. I know you guys say "its his section we have no control"...thats not the point. Its a double standard. Im tired of this TRD vs. URD crap that goes on here. If a TRD guy says something about a URD, we are "haters"....if the reverse happens....its okay? It happens all over.

Most of you who don't like me can call me a hater all you want, but i come from a world where where I like things to be fair. People on this site can have an opinion, with the exception of when it comes to Gadget. I understand he is a vendor..I understand he may bring a lot of people to the site and so on and so forth, but that shouldn't mean he is free from answering questions about his products, when the question may make him look bad.

Ive spent over $5,000 with URD, im not a hater. I like his products.

Everyone who has been asking these questions to Gadget has the experience, no one in question has been saying anything nonfactual or something they cant back up. And they disappear.

I should have just kept my mouth shut but you asked.

Like me or hate me...

Ban me or keep me...

If someone could stop the censorship and the hiding...this would have never happened. I dont like my post disappearing all the time whenever i question the "man"

Dont believe me, read the thread that magically disappeared...i didnt flame anyone, i asked simple questions and stated simple facts....and got a magical infraction for it.

Ive said my peace...now i shall go back to being the "hey looks good man" type of guy...being that is all i can really say without stating an opinion.
i was the one that started the thread because i had alot of questions about buying a s/c. many of my questions were answered and then the thread went off topic and "vanished". i was a little upset with that because i was trying to read over what some folks had written. i've only been a member here since september and have gained so much information about my truck that i cant say thank you enough. but honestly klint, do what you have to do to keep this site going. its like my second home.

XRYDER

Reaction score
I don't post much but i'm here every day. What ever needs to be done to keep XRU from going in the crapper,( like every other forum i've been on.) i'm game.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Do what you've got to do Klint. I stand behind you 100%. I love this place and want to keep it that way. :top:

blastap

Reaction score
i have stayed on this site because i have met some great people and made some really good friends. i also think that xru is ran very well but dak has a point and needs to be addressed accordingly.

KrazyStuntRR

Reaction score
I would love to see this site not become like the other mainstream enthusiast forums and get way out of hand and alot of flamers ruining something good.. but with more users requires more staffing which then gets harder because you gotta hope the people you give privileges too aren't the type to abuse it..

This is just my 2 cents and dont really know if its logical or practical but i guess one way to keep the trouble makers out is somehow have it so the site is invite only and when they apply to the site have it so they have to enter a referrer and a location or circumstances to how they were invited and then follow up with who they listed as a referrer and follow up with them to verify the info given.. seems a little harsh but with the amount of people who love to cause a rukus and just start crap because they find it amusing it seems to be one of the few ways to somewhat control the amount of ***** disturbers that join the site and post threads or replies that make other users uncomfortable or frustrate users because they may not be mechanically inclined as others or make users not wanna post anymore because of their knowledge of certain topics of discussion and ask a question and get razzed for the question or get called names...

again this is just my 2 cents... may not be logical or practical but just an idea.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I'm all for keeping XR-U as a family orient site. :top: I would hate to see this site turn out like the rest of them. Keep up the good work K2 and mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom