Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

y-pipes

Reaction score
So I have been looking at adding a new Y-pipe to my wish list. I just have a few questions on which one to pick up. Right now I have a Magnaflow cat back and will be installing JBA headers soon. Will the URD and DT y-pipes work with both brands of header you sell? I know that that the URD Y-pipe helps add 40 whp but does the DT add the same? Does the resonators on the DT help to get rip of the "raspy" tone that sometimes comes from the URD? The O2 bungs on the DT can be closed like the second one on the JBA headers right. They are there to add a easier place to have AFR sensor, if I am correct.

cwatt

Reaction score
There is no way the URD Y-pipe adds 40 whp. It'll free up some hp on the top end, but those second cats aren't nearly as restrictive as the primaries. The flow dynamics too despite the 'crush' spot aren't that terrible (I talked to a mechanical engineer friend of mine about flow dynamics...). An aftermarket Y-pipe is more about increasing the diameter for forced-induction set-ups, and even then there is some debate. Murderface would normally chime in right now and tell you his NST/2.85" TRD supercharged truck is putting out some of the strongest numbers WITH the factory y-pipe. I opted to delete mine and go for a 2.5" to 3" exhaust.

Bottom line, larger diameter without restrictions will increase flow, but remember that back-pressure is key for low end torque. To answer your question, anything will be an 'improvement' depending on what you're looking for. URD offers a one-stop-shop, guaranteed to fit option which has a lot of inherent value.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
post #5

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=52171&highlight=dyno

+20 whp. My fault, I remembered the 40 for something but yet +20 is still alot for just adding a pipe. This still doesn't answer any of the questions that I asked.

he has an x-1 so he got 20 whp with the y-pipe and a tune. still very impressive.....or sad to see how restrictive our stock exhaust parts are hey :laugh: i know i felt a nice gain up in the higher rpms when i added my urd y-pipe which was the last part of my exhaust to be done after supercharging. i'm really curious now how much i could gain with a tune :hmmmm2:

Reaction score
he has an x-1 so he got 20 whp with the y-pipe and a tune. still very impressive.....or sad to see how restrictive our stock exhaust parts are hey :laugh: i know i felt a nice gain up in the higher rpms when i added my urd y-pipe which was the last part of my exhaust to be done after supercharging. i'm really curious now how much i could gain with a tune :hmmmm2:

I'm sure that you would get a extra one or two.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
and to answer your question about rasp. if you plan on running catless you will need a big (20" to 24") muffler and probably even a second smaller (14") muffler or a vibrant ultra quiet res. i have a 22" magnaflow muffler and a vibrant ultra quiet res and i get zero rasp and it sounds amazing!

I'm sure that you would get a extra one or two.

haha 1 or 2 or 20 or 50......

Last edited:
Reaction score
and to answer your question about rasp. if you plan on running catless you will need a big (20" to 24") muffler and probably even a second smaller (14") muffler or a vibrant ultra quiet res. i have a 22" magnaflow muffler and a vibrant ultra quiet res and i get zero rasp and it sounds amazing!

haha 1 or 2 or 20 or 50......

That's why I was asking about the DT y-pipe. It has two resonators built in. In my mind that "should" cut it down but that's why I asked these questions.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
That's why I was asking about the DT y-pipe. It has two resonators built in. In my mind that "should" cut it down but that's why I asked these questions.

just remember they are resonators which cause back pressure. if you plan on boosting you do not want back pressure

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
how do you like that magnaflow compared to what you had before

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
cool man ive been wanting to get this or flowmaster i just dont know if magnaflow will be too loud

and i have the stock too

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
haha nice....is it raspy at all...and can you hear it over the stupid @$$ v8 trucks that like to try race us

Reaction score
haha nice....is it raspy at all...and can you hear it over the stupid @$$ v8 trucks that like to try race us

Wait... I'm not the only one that has happened to. It's really not to bad. I like the tone but she hits a high note once in a while. That's why I am leaning to the DT y-pipe over the URD.

Go URD, the pipe bomb from DT is a POS

What makes them trash?

Last edited:

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
happens to me all the time here in the sobay, all these brodozers want sum but end up getting too much to handle lol but their stupid loud exhausts mess with my ears when im trying to concentrate

so im trying to get alittle more sound out of my x

Top Bottom