Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

05-08 Ipod Integration (w/ Steering wheel control) w/ Stock HU

Darker6

Reaction score
(Scroll down for cliff notes, :throwcomp: ddin't think i'd have so much to say until i got done writing it all, lol)

Hi All,

I thought i'd actually contribute something to the forums because you guys are great and have helped me a bunch in the short time i've been here..

i did do a quick search and couldn't find anything, so here goes...

little back story, i came from a 08 camry to my 07 xr. Camry had an aux cable (loved it - used it very mucho..). Got the Xr, was a little disappointed that it didn't have an iPod / aux jack...

did like the 6 cd changer (always wanted one...) but seemed about 10 years too late to be really happy with that.. esp because it didn't even read mp3's.. so i did a bit of seaching because i really like the stock HU look..

i found this: GTA car kit:
http://www.gtacarkits.com/toyota_tacoma_2005_2012_car_kit.php

awesome! but for $100 i might as well get a better HU set up.. so i held off a little bit and continued my search hoping for something better..

low and behold, i searched amazon and found this guy..
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFS68M4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

looked pretty much like the same thing and so i took a chance (@$35 w/ free shipping, why not?)

well, to make an already long story short, i installed it tonight and love it!
- install was a breeze, even for me (which is saying alot btw :laugh:)

installs just like GTA kit and works pretty much exactly the same way.. (plug and play! < love these 3 words! :blurock:)

now, my stock HU still looks great, and can play my iPod through stock system..

i can scroll through my playlists and skip tracks.. only thing is, i couldn't figure out how to get the phone to work with the ipod jack.. not sure if it'll work..

another great thing is that it also has an aux cable (separate, in addition to the ipod jack) that you can use for calls, but can't use steering controls (obvious reasons..)

when i'm using it, i just plug in my phone and put it in the cup holder, when it's not in use, i just tuck it between the cup holder and driver seat..

btw, i ran the cable through the back of my HU down the center console under the shifter and made it come out behind the cup holders.. not the cleanest install but it's barly noticable.. i can snap a pic if anyone's interested...

the only head scratcher was how to get the wire through the back without tearing the whole thing out.. luckily, toyota actually did something to help us out by leaving a TIGHT spot where we can run up from the bottom right behind the a/c controls..

i also had buy a lightning adapter for my iphone 5 because the jack is a 30 pin made for 4s and below..

i opted for the "oem" one so that ran me another $25 (you can get cheap ebay ones for like $3)
total cost of ipod integration (for me) = $~$60

Cliff Notes:: :crinklehair:

1. wanted to keep stock HU but wanted to be able to play my ipod / iPhone in xr..
2. bought [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFS68M4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
3. installed it, LOVE it! hahahah
4. works with steering controls (skip tracks / change playlists)
5. easy install (plug and play behind HU) > look up GTA car kit install tacoma on you tube for help..

azndrgnkid

Reaction score
The GTA unit is similar to something I bought my 05 X years ago. It was made by Alpine and basically had a control as well as a display that I put on the dash. Worked pretty well too but I'll have to find if they even make it anymore.

Top Bottom