Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

'05+ Tacoma Clutch Shuttle Valve Removal

rat7761

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/gNWWoNDpmDE

The removal of the clutch shuttle valve (clutch accumulator) is required when installing a twin disc style clutch to gain more travel in the hydraulic system. I run a Competition Clutch Stage 3 dual friction clutch in my 2013 4x4 Tacoma and even with all the play taken out of the clutch pedal i had a difficult time getting it into 1st gear at a stop. This solved the problem. It also made the clutch a little bit easier to depress and gave it better feel.

Notes:
-I clamped the fluid hose at the clutch master with clamping pliers to keep the master from draining. Bleeding was super fast too.
-I accessed the upper shuttle valve bolt through the fender well with a long extension, shallow 12mm socket attached to a universal joint.
-The fitting to join the two hydraulic lines is metric thread available at a local parts store.

Last edited:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
It's interesting that this is the first time that this has come up. I'll definitely be following this thread.

rat7761

Reaction score
Instructions for this mod came with my Competition Stage 3 Clutch but said it was only necessary for twin disc set ups. Clutch engagement feels better and now I can get it into 1st gear every time at a stop. Before I would have to put it in 3rd then 1st almost every time I pulled out.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very intuitive. Hmmm. I had to do the same thing with my stock transmission after a while. Makes me wonder how many people with transmission issues could resolve them with this mod?

TRON

Reaction score
^^^ I've had to do the 3rd to 1st mostly in the winter months... Summer time seems to work better

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like this mod might be one of your next....

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be doing this on the weekend. I haven't pulled it apart yet but there is fluid spewing from my accumulator lol. Why put a new one in when I can just take it out lol

Nashman

Reaction score
This is why when it cold out your pedal feels funny in case any one wanted to know it mostly put in for shitty manual trans drivers that have jerky starts ect

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
This is why when it cold out your pedal feels funny in case any one wanted to know it mostly put in for shitty manual trans drivers that have jerky starts ect
Yup! I was gonna do this a long time ago but never got around to it and forgot about it. Now I'm wishing I had of done it b4 because now I HAVE to do it. And it's well below 0 degrees here and I get to lay in the snow to do it now. Fml lol

Nashman

Reaction score
Yup! I was gonna do this a long time ago but never got around to it and forgot about it. Now I'm wishing I had of done it b4 because now I HAVE to do it. And it's well below 0 degrees here and I get to lay in the snow to do it now. Fml lol

You get to make snow angels LUCKY... I tried it here in BC and well doing them in puddles don't work to well even tried it in green grass and all i got was grass stains FTL :laugh:

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
You get to make snow angels LUCKY... I tried it here in BC and well doing them in puddles don't work to well even tried it in green grass and all i got was grass stains FTL :laugh:

Lol yay for Canada!!:canada::canada:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are cracking me up. :laugh:

Nashman

Reaction score
Installed my stage 2 clutch and light weight flywheel that valve is so getting kick to the curb my pedal sits to high now and it is slower on feel and ok when cold but when she gets warm the pedal goes higher then I want and feel spongy

so new slave and new jumper line

autobodyX

Reaction score
Installed my stage 2 clutch and light weight flywheel that valve is so getting kick to the curb my pedal sits to high now and it is slower on feel and ok when cold but when she gets warm the pedal goes higher then I want and feel spongy

so new slave and new jumper line
It is easier to just take the back off the valve and remove the valve inside and reassemble. No need for adding a by pass.

autobodyX

Reaction score
threaded or one ring
I am not sure what you are asking. I removed the unit from the side of the transmission then removed the back plate then a big snap ring. I could not get the cover off so used compressed air to pop it open. I lost the internals doing this so I do not know what they were. A spring and a valve is my guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 236

autobodyX

Reaction score
I'm saying that it is easier to take the guts out of the shuttle valve there by deleting it, rather than removeing it or buypassing it. No parts to buy

Top Bottom