Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1/4 wave resonator + Spec U exhaust = very quiet

Tom2769

Reaction score
This issue came up in another thread about spec-U exhaust resonance - I started a new thread to avoid cluttering that thread. A 1/4 wave resonator is a pipe of a specific length that is closed on one end and welded into the exhaust at a 90 degree angle on the other end. Since it is perpendicular to the exhaust system, it does not affect flow or performance at all. It is just a sound chamber. It allows sound waves to travel down the pipe, bounce off the closed end and then intersect the exhaust flow again. Based on the length of the pipe, the sound waves cancel out certain frequencies when they re-intersect the exhaust stream. If you want to know more, it's explained much better than I can (with all the supporting math) in this thread on a Mustang forum:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/496793-exhaust-drone-completely-gone.html

I added a 30" long 1/4 wave resonator to my Spec-U exhaust to try to tone down the low-frequency noise that occurs from about approx 2,300 to 2,900 rpms. I hesitate to call it a drone, it's less than that, but the spec-U is louder (at a low frequency) just in that rpm range. The 1/4 wave resonator was VERY effective - the low frequency sound in that rpm range is GONE. In addition, it quieted down the entire exhaust considerably. I don't know what a stock exhaust on an XR sounds like (mine came with a 3" Magnaflow cat back), but I'd bet that this is as quiet or quieter than stock unless you are really in the throttle. My exhaust is practically silent at 70mph in 6th gear (2,500 rpm) - no more headaches. I love the effect, but I'm on the wrong side of 40, so I enjoy the quiet. If you like the attention you get from your loud exhaust, this is not for you.

To avoid any confusion, this mod does NOT affect the high-frequency buzzing or resonance that a few people (me included) have experienced with the Spec-U exhaust. That resonance is present under load (approx 50% throttle or more) at any rpm. The resonance that the 1/4 wave resonator cancels out is just the low frequency resonance in the 2,300-2,900 rpm range.

I'll attach a few crappy pics - the front of the truck it to the left in the pics. I just pulled off my supercharger and shipped it out to have it rebuilt, so I won't be able to post sound clips until I get it back in 3-4 weeks.

Attachments

• resonator 2.jpg
    resonator 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 305
  • resonator 1.jpg
    resonator 1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

Tom2769

Reaction score
Hmm...for some reason, my pics were posted upside down. So the front of the truck is to the right. Turn your monitor upside down and it will make sense...:top: I should also mention that the resonator pipe is welded into the spec-U y-pipe. Mine looks different, though because my flex pipe has been replaced with a solid pipe.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Awesome job. Looks good and good to have a picture to go with the explanation.

Redlantern

Reaction score
That right there is the best resonator. Same technology that corsa uses in their exhaust systems. Bisimoto also uses them as well in his exhaust systems. Good stuff right there.

Tom2769

Reaction score
Supposedly the diameter of the resonator pipe affects the level of attenuation (or the level of noise/volume reduction). I used a 3" diameter pipe tied into the 3" Y-pipe and got a huge amount of noise reduction. I'd be interested to see what a smaller diameter resonator pipe - like a 1.5" or 2" - would do. I suspect it would kill the low frequencies in the desired rpm range, but may not quiet the entire exhaust system as much...

Superloki24

Reaction score
This is something that I think I will try. Good info for sure.

Gadget

Reaction score
Nothing like an H pipe.

Search helmholtz resonator

This is not a true helmholtz because it is just a straight pipe, but the reflective wave concept is the same.

I did a lot of testing with this and just had no luck with it.

Top Bottom