Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2 Amp wiring

jeffxrunner07

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on this. I am going to be running 2 amps. 1 for subs (mono) and 1 for components (4 channel). Should I run separate 8 gauge power for each one or run 4 gauge to a dist. block then branch off to 8 gauge? Seems kind of pointless to me to run the 4 gauge.

Tunedx

Reaction score
Run 4 gauge to distribution block and 8 gauge to each amp

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running 1/0 gauge to the distribution block then 4g to the amps... And 4g ground... I feel feel better that way

Red_Hott

Reaction score
I would run two seperate power wires that way you have an in line fuse on each amp... so if something does go wrong....you don't have to worry about messing up the other amp

COMEGETSOME

Reaction score
Yes i agree with tunedx running duel amps is a lot of power so if you
only ran 8g it would melt then y could catch you truck in fire.
Once i seen thus dude running multiple amps on small wire it was
Dark the wire started to glow red hot then it fryed i don't think
he even had it in a fuse

I would run two seperate power wires that way you have an in line fuse on each amp... so if something does go wrong....you don't have to worry about messing up the other amp

True that but i think that they make distribution blocks with dual fuses

Last edited:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I am running 1/0 gauge to the distribution block then 4g to the amps... And 4g ground... I feel feel better that way

This one is better.... Your fuses come from your distribution block which should be the one with the fuse holders in it. Also depends on what kind of wattage u plan on pushing. Either way this is going to get nice current flow.. Also a capacitor would be a good idea. Better safe than sorry..It"ll look good to if u r gonna show it. Nice layout.

COMEGETSOME

Reaction score
Dam talking about the amps makes me wish my littlest was grown up so i could load the back seat with a nice system

jboy671

Reaction score
This one is better.... Your fuses come from your distribution block which should be the one with the fuse holders in it. Also depends on what kind of wattage u plan on pushing. Either way this is going to get nice current flow.. Also a capacitor would be a good idea. Better safe than sorry..It"ll look good to if u r gonna show it. Nice layout.

Capacitors don't do anything to help your system...it only covers up problems. People will swear that it works (placebo effect) but a bandaid is only useful for so long. The only time I recommend a capacitor is if you have built up your system to the point of no voltage drops under load and you want to smooth out the voltage levels going to your amps. If you need more from your power source add a second battery.

The way I usually do my two amp setups is...

Big three upgrade
1/0 or 4 gauge fused from the alternator + to a battery isolator (this is my preference...you can choose to charge your batteries other ways)
Fused 1/0 or 4 gauge from isolator to second battery
Fused wires from second battery + to amps (8 gauge for 4 channels 4 guage or bigger for mono blocks)

I usually install the distributor block right on the second battery plus (google stinger battery distribution block).

This method usually keeps me (alternator varying) at a constant 13 - 14 volts during mild system performance. I usually see drops down to 12.5 but this is usually on a big enough stock alternator. A second HO alternator will keep the voltage drops to a minimum and allow running voltage to peak at around 15-16.

Good luck.

jeffxrunner07

Reaction score
Run 4 gauge to distribution block and 8 gauge to each amp
Where is a good place to mount the dist. block? Should I also put inline fuses from the dist. block to the amps?

Thanks for all the great ideas all.

COMEGETSOME

Reaction score
You can put the block were ever u like but in my option the closer to the. Amps/ And or subs saves u wire and less wire to run a d hide.

justin13703

Reaction score
I would do the 1/0 to a dist block and then 4 gauge to each amp. Then back it all up with a GOOD battery, like a big optima. That's how I have mine set up. Capacitors don't really make a big difference, and you can get a good battery for less than the cost of a capacitor that would make any difference. And a good battery will help your entire electrical system, not just your audio. The above mentioned setup would be nice, but unless you're going all out with a huge system, it's not cost effective for the average person to add additional batteries and high output alternators.

In short, go get a more powerful battery, and use the correct size wiring for the amps you're using and you should be fine. By the way, what's the size of your amps? Rms and peak wattage on both. RMS is the more important one.

Where is a good place to mount the dist. block? Should I also put inline fuses from the dist. block to the amps?

Thanks for all the great ideas all.

I put my dist block in the center console right below the cupholders. That way, if you're mounting the amps under your seats, you can just run the power wires under the carpet down to each side.

Last edited:

COMEGETSOME

Reaction score
I would do the 1/0 to a dist block and then 4 gauge to each amp. Then back it all up with a GOOD battery, like a big optima. That's how I have mine set up. Capacitors don't really make a big difference, and you can get a good battery for less than the cost of a capacitor that would make any difference. And a good battery will help your entire electrical system, not just your audio. The above mentioned setup would be nice, but unless you're going all out with a huge system, it's not cost effective for the average person to add additional batteries and high output alternators.

In short, go get a more powerful battery, and use the correct size wiring for the amps you're using and you should be fine. By the way, what's the size of your amps? Rms and peak wattage on both. RMS is the more important one.

I put my dist block in the center console right below the cupholders. That way, if you're mounting the amps under your seats, you can just run the power wires under the carpet down to each side.

Excellent place great idea!

Top Bottom