Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A/F gauge sensor relocated

Murderface

Reaction score
So since I've have a AEM weldless bung in my basement for over a year I decided to finally use it. I've been using the center runner bung on my JBA long tubes for about a year now and needed a more accurate reading. I had ordered 2 different size weldless bungs for when I had the 1st gen DTLT's so I could install the wideband in the collector since I didn't have access to a welder. Found out the 1st gen DTLT's are actually smaller then 2" but close enough that neither weldless bung kits fit.

So I decided to drill a hole in the section of pipe behind the pass. cat on the y pipe and before the flange that's before the merge collector, install the weldless bung kit since it worked there, and move my rear O2 sensor to this location(remember I have an X-1 so it being here now won't matter). I then put my wideband in the O2's original location before the cat since both my collectors have my WRAF sensors in them. My readings are much more stable and more accurate now.
Here's some pics of a stock y pipe and where I put the weldless bung(I didn't take pics of what I did sorry) but I will this weekend when I replace my trans output shaft seal
0F0E67D8-AD40-430A-8720-A22FFA8BA0E0-4430-0000031E04F41D45.jpg

E28E4329-8D3A-49F5-87DD-49EBE3C02555-4430-0000031E0628D677.jpg

5000XD

Reaction score
Interesting.

You don't have a Y pipe? thought you were catless.

Bulldogger

Reaction score
My DTLT's had extra bungs in the collecter, don't the JBA have them also in the collecter?

Bulldogger

Reaction score
Read my whole post buddy

Nope! Really no need to go catless. For me the cons out weigh the pros.

I did twice and I still don't know hat the hell your talking about, you probaly took pictures without film in the camera. Are you relocating the o2 sensor to infront of the cat or are you moving your wideband from center runner to the collecter? .........

Murderface

Reaction score
Read my 2nd paragraph again it's right there

Remember the difference between a WRAF sensor and O2 sensor? I also have LT's and only cats are on the y pipe. My O2 is now behind the cat in the Y pipe, my wideband is now in the O2's original spot on the Y and my WRAF's are still where they were......in the collectors......got it!

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Reaction score
Read my 2nd paragraph again it's right there

Remember the difference between a WRAF sensor and O2 sensor? I also have LT's and only cats are on the y pipe. My O2 is now behind the cat in the Y pipe, my wideband is now in the O2's original spot on the Y and my WRAF's are still where they were......in the collectors......got it!

Got it but not seeing the point. I don't think putting the WRAF in the collecters makes a difference. So basically you aren't using the two bungs in the center runner of the header because you feel the reading only one cylinder per side isn't good enough.:stupid:

Murderface

Reaction score
Got it but not seeing the point. I don't think putting the WRAF in the collecters makes a difference. So basically you aren't using the two bungs in the center runner of the header because you feel the reading only one cylinder per side isn't good enough.:stupid:

Wow just wow! Yes having the WRAF sensors in the center runners only isn't as good as having them in the collectors. If the WRAF sensors job is to determine the A/F ratio of the exhaust then how good would it be to be getting reading from just 2 outta the 6 cylinders?

Ur gonna lose this battle so give up while u can. U know how to be a cop and I know how to be a mechanic

Gadget

Reaction score
With the X-1 and UCON it is preferred to run the AFR sensor in the collector because it uses that sensor for closed loop feedback when the ECU is in open loop mode. Under power it is best to read all the cylinders instead of just two.

If you are not running the X-1 or UCON there is no point of running the AFR sensor in the collector.

What I am not tracking is what you did with this no weld bung thing. Can you draw me a picture of that?

G

Bulldogger

Reaction score
Your only way to do it right is to read each individual cylinder. Placing it in the collecter won't make the engine run better or save the engine if one of the injectors head south. All that will happen is Bank1 or bank 2 s(1) will read lean and try two correct fueling on the two remaining functioning injectors on whichever side has the problem. The WRAF in the collecter will read all three cylinders but can't correct them on a individual bassis.

With the X-1 and UCON it is preferred to run the AFR sensor in the collector because it uses that sensor for closed loop feedback when the ECU is in open loop mode. Under power it is best to read all the cylinders instead of just two.

If you are not running the X-1 or UCON there is no point of running the AFR sensor in the collector.

What I am not tracking is what you did with this no weld bung thing. Can you draw me a picture of that?

G

My point is yes you are reading all cylinders but that isn't going stop an engine from blowing you need to read each individual injector, I dont think any real benefit like saving the engine is going to be the result of moving it from runner to collector.

Last edited:

outlaw7

Reaction score
not trying to stir the pot but i had a/f sensors in my collectors and the wrafs in the middle runners for a while. ended up selling the a/f gauges and plugging the middle runner and moving the wraf to the collectors and it felt like the truck just ran a little better/smoother.

Murderface

Reaction score
Your only way to do it right is to read each individual cylinder. Placing it in the collecter won't make the engine run better or save the engine if one of the injectors head south. All that will happen is Bank1 or bank 2 s(1) will read lean and try two correct fueling on the two remaining functioning injectors on whichever side has the problem. The WRAF in the collecter will read all three cylinders but can't correct them on a individual bassis.

My point is yes you are reading all cylinders but that isn't going stop an engine from blowing you need to read each individual injector, I dont think any real benefit like saving the engine is going to be the result of moving it from runner to collector.

U still mad about either the Jets getting blown out or Giants getting beat by my Eagles:laugh:

Bulldogger

Reaction score
U still mad about either the Jets getting blown out or Giants getting beat by my Eagles:laugh:

Actually I am not a fan of either team, I like Houston. When I relocate to Fla. probably will be rooting for Jacksonville Jaguars

Besides you may not be too long an Eagles supporter, can someone say Georgia...........

Murderface

Reaction score
Basically I did this to get a complete reading of one bank on my wideband rather then (1) cylinder. The gauge now reads right with XTunes readings for that bank

Amo-cat3

Reaction score
Just to clarify, without any cats it really doesn't matter where the O2 sensors are if you have an x1/uconn/o2 sim?

Top Bottom