Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

advice on install

KETCHUP

Reaction score
I have the SS drop in the mail.

Should I install it myself? No experence with suspension, but Im def not afraid to do things to my truck.

Someone that has installed, please give me some pointers.

I did go to a few shops. They were talkin about 80 bucks for the front spring change. One guy said if I could take the assembly off, he could comress the spring for 20 and I could put it back together.

:dontknow:help a brother out!

Stevenredx

Reaction score
It's really not that hard and you can rent spring compressors from your local parts store for free, just leave a cash deposit. But on the other hand, 80 bucks isn't a bad price either.

gregincali

Reaction score
$80.00 sounds pretty good. I paid $300.00 for front coils, composite leafs, and sway bar kit at a frame and alinement shop. they couldn't get it to back to specs. although they were close it was not rite. I drove her a couple months like that and just today took it to Toyota and they got it to specs. no problem.

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
Do it yourself, it's not that difficult.... Good Luck!:top:

frechem

Reaction score
I did this last weekend by myself and it was cake. It took me about 3 hours total including the leafs and the alignment, which was the hardest part. You don't need a spring compressor, the stock springs will fall right out. It is pretty straight forward.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
I did this last weekend by myself and it was cake. It took me about 3 hours total including the leafs and the alignment, which was the hardest part. You don't need a spring compressor, the stock springs will fall right out. It is pretty straight forward.

Did you do it in your garage, or a shop? So there is no need to compress the stock springs. Can you give me a quick run down of how to do the swap of the spring?

frechem

Reaction score
I did this in my garage. Unbolt your lowerball joint, unbolt your swaybar, unbolt the strut, use a prybar to push the lower a-arm down, swing the rotor assembly out of the way with one hand and pull out the strut and spring with the other.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I had instructions with mine (I think). Did it in the garage alone with stock bottle jack, a couple jackstands, rented spring compressor, and basic hand tools.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=9096

It's pretty easy, but if that $80 included alignment, I'd pay that.

If you are going to use the spring compressor and are worried about safety, get a chain and a bolt to wrap around the spring and keep it compressed in case the compressor fails. I've heard some crazy stories, but fortunately I didn't have any issues.

CaliKnightRider

Reaction score
you do not need spring compressors once the load is off the suspension and you unbolt it they fall right out i did itr with a friend in his garage and is was very easy and the sittin swic spring goes right in, just save yourself the hassle of renting one.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
Come up to VA Beach, we have the self proclaimed drop king here :top:

KETCHUP

Reaction score
you do not need spring compressors once the load is off the suspension and you unbolt it they fall right out i did itr with a friend in his garage and is was very easy and the sittin swic spring goes right in, just save yourself the hassle of renting one.

don't mean to sound like an idiot....but what constitutes unloading the suspension?:dontknow:

Come up to VA Beach, we have the self proclaimed drop king here :top:

damn! that would be a nice trip.....but i can't afford it.....:biggrin:

Last edited:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
don't mean to sound like an idiot....but what constitutes unloading the suspension?:dontknow:

Jacking the vehicle up takes the weight off (reduces pressure and should decompress the spring)

I used the spring compressor b/c I didn't want any surprises when releasing the lock nut on the retainer

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Jacking the vehicle up takes the weight off (reduces pressure and should decompress the spring)

I used the spring compressor b/c I didn't want any surprises when releasing the lock nut on the retainer

Ok. Me and my buddy may take it to the autocraft center on post. Tools and lifts for free. He has done some lowering before, so I think we will be ok.

Ill keep yall posted. I will post pics when we are done. Thanks for the help.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
Ok. Me and my buddy may take it to the autocraft center on post. Tools and lifts for free. He has done some lowering before, so I think we will be ok.

Ill keep yall posted. I will post pics when we are done. Thanks for the help.

You're military? what the hell ketchup, everything should be a DIY job for you :stupid:. The autocraft center will have the floor model spring compressors which are really easy to use bro :top:. Trust me, the SS drop will be a peice of cake with the right tools.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
You're military? what the hell ketchup, everything should be a DIY job for you :stupid:. The autocraft center will have the floor model spring compressors which are really easy to use bro :top:. Trust me, the SS drop will be a peice of cake with the right tools.

yeah.......I think so. The only problem I have is that the drop doesn't get here till the 28th. I work during the week, so I may have to get someone to do it for me so I can get my pics submitted for the calendar.

Top Bottom