Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Aftermarket Brake Lines and Sways

FireB

Reaction score
I just had the Stoptech brakes done and very happy with the results.

However, I have noticed that the XII Sways and the brake line holding piece on the shock comes awfully close.
Is everyone experiencing a thing like this?
I have a clearance of 1/2 inch even bending the tab of that holding piece.
Is this normal? :dontknow:

I am talking about this when the wheel is unmounted with the both fronts up in the air.
Maybe when the wheel is put the geometry might change but haven't had the time to do it and need other people's input if possible! Thanks!

STONER-X

Reaction score
Is it rubbing? It should be able to see if it is... If its not then its probably not a problem

FireB

Reaction score
It does not seem like it is rubbing at all but the clearance just made me worried!
Will keep an eye on it.
I can't believe anyone else thought they had a small clearance between the lines and the sways going BBK!
Thanks!

BondXII

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to look at ours this afternoon. Do you have a picture of your issue? Wondering if you have your shocks backwards. Sounds silly, but simple mistake. The brakeline bracket "should be" pointing towards to rear of the truck. If you have the shocks backwards (passenger on driver and vice versa) then that bracket would be facing towards the front and could have the issue you described...if I'm visualizing it correctly.

FireB

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to look at ours this afternoon. Do you have a picture of your issue? Wondering if you have your shocks backwards. Sounds silly, but simple mistake. The brakeline bracket "should be" pointing towards to rear of the truck. If you have the shocks backwards (passenger on driver and vice versa) then that bracket would be facing towards the front and could have the issue you described...if I'm visualizing it correctly.

First thing first, don't think that I ma bashing your products!
They are amazing products and I swear by it.

When I lifted the truck up, the 10mm bolt on the shock was touching the 10mm screw that holds the brake lines on the Passenger's Side and chipping away every so slightly of the red paint on the sway.
I put the shocks on one by one when doing the SOS kit so I doubt I have it backwards but again, photo will do justice!

I want to make sure that everything is true so have to take some pictures and post it up so that we can see what I did wrong.

Thank you for your opinion on this.

BondXII

Reaction score
No worries. :) Any feedback, is good feedback. Glad you like the sway bars. :top::blurock:

I looked at our X-Runner yesterday. Right now, the poor girl is stting with a coilover on one side and a drop coil on the other while we get the prototype parts "real" parts. LOL. I see where (I think) you are talking about with the bend in the brake comes forward towards the sway bar. There is plenty of room with the movement of travel with everything. No problems. I need a picture of your other issue though. I couldn't figure out where you are having issues with a bolt chipping at the paint of the sway bar. :hmmmm2:

FireB

Reaction score
Hehe, with getting ready for business trip, weather, and crappy fever that I am having, I could not take a picture right away......
Hopefully, weather will hold tomorrow and my health will be back so I can make use out of this thread that I have opened up.

Stay tuned!

FireB

Reaction score
shock 1.jpg shock 2.jpg shock 3.jpg

So this is what I was talking about.
If I have installed something wrong, let me know.....
I did bend the tabs to make more clearance just as you see on the 3rd picture.

The little nicks on the red sway and the tab of the shocks are from prying them open to get to that bolt.
When I first got under to do the BBK, the end of the sway was touching the 10 or 12 mm brake line holding piece located on the tab of the shocks.

There were no rubbing issue at all on the brake lines or the sways.

Any inputs will be appreciated!

BondXII

Reaction score
I was going through my recent posts and just realized that I did not respond to this. Sorry about that.

Looks like your sway bar is installed upside down....just kidding.

It is close to the bolt. There is no issue with damaging anything, with the exception of the chipped paint you have on the end. I hadn't rerally noticed is was that close because the first thing that I do when removing/installing these is to disconnect the sway bar. The bar seems to be in the way of quite a bit, so it just makes it easier to disconnect it first.

No worries with the brake line though. The geometry of travel is fine and won't have any issues. Since the brake line bracket is just holding the brake line, then it is fine to bend it back a bit to clear the sway bar if it's hitting.

Thanks for sharing this. I'll keep this in mind, if someone asks us in the future.

FireB

Reaction score
I knew it! I knew I had them upside down! LOL

But relieved to hear that the issue is not really an issue.
I did bent the tabs on the shocks and have enough clearance as of now.

Glad I made the thread as some other's might experience the same type of scenario and now the truth is out on the forum that it's all good!

Thanks!

Top Bottom