Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Another header thread

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
So I just bought a stock X-Runner the other day and it seems that the front cats have failed. Rather than buy new cats, I figured why not just grab some long tube headers to replace that section?

I am shopping on URD's website and can't decide on which one to buy.

Are the URD Spec U headers worth the price premium over the Thorley and the JBA? I am interested in the most power increase, but I probably won't be changing the rest of the exhaust system for a while since it is not cheap and I am in California anyway. I also just picked up a K&N drop in air filter, not sure if the CAI would be worth it. Already picked up a URD short shifter, since the stock shifter is pretty garbage.

For reference, I am looking at these three.

http://urdusa.com/store/Exhaust-&-H...Tacoma,-4Runner,-FJ-Cruiser/product_info.html

http://urdusa.com/store/Exhaust-&-H...-05+-V6,-FJ-07-09-LONG-TUBE/product_info.html

http://urdusa.com/store/Exhaust-&-H...oma,-07-09-FJ,03-09-4Runner/product_info.html

What would you choose? Is a ~20whp ~30wtq increase expected for all three of them?

So far the truck handles great...I'm replacing an Evo X as my daily and it would be nice to make it nearly as quick and handle almost as well.

Thanks!

easts1d3

Reaction score
I just installed my URD equal lengths last weekend and i like them, it drastically changed how the truck sounds. The install really isnt too bad either as long as you dont strip any nuts lol

Hard Taco

Formerly Known As "Sn3akrs"
Reaction score
U can't run the Long tubes in Cali as far as i know

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any dynos that show the difference. I have however heard the difference and it's significant. The equal length changes the tone significantly and reduces the 1gr rasp problem to nearly nothing.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The JBA headers are similar in design to the Doug Thorley headers. Except made from mild steel. That is why they are lower in price, especially if purchased without a coating. Weather will certainly make them rust without a coating.

Since there design is like that of Doug Thorley, all you have to do is compare the DT dunk to that of the Spec-U header.

The Spec-U has more power throughout the powerband than the DT/JBA design.

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
The JBA headers are similar in design to the Doug Thorley headers. Except made from mild steel. That is why they are lower in price, especially if purchased without a coating. Weather will certainly make them rust without a coating.

Since there design is like that of Doug Thorley, all you have to do is compare the DT dunk to that of the Spec-U header.

The Spec-U has more power throughout the powerband than the DT/JBA design.

thank you, I suppose a couple hundred extra won't hurt since it's a long term part.

do you have a source showing the Spec U putting down more power than the DT?

Thanks!

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score

Thank you for that first thread. I didn't know that forum existed!
Looks like there's a clear winner!

I'm new to trucks but I am amazed at the gains and simplicity of modding them...I usually mess with a 94 RX-7 and every time you want to change something (which requires hours and hours of research and testing), you risk destroying the car.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a similar thread here in the Performance section. N/A subsection.

You're welcome. :top:

This iteration of the 1GR responds very well to bolt-ons.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
We have member who have picked up around 60 whp from bolt-ons and tuning.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I've picked up 54hp over stock with my current mod list

Top Bottom