Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

another TRD pump Q

STONER-X

Reaction score
ok so i am having trouble trouble shooting my Bosch electric water pump.... it work and it doesn't work...

for the past month or so it has been "off" i thought it crapped out... well in a last effort i rewired it... since my oil pump and water pump ran off the same hot wire... i didnt like it.. ill post in my build thread what i did later....

hooked it up and it was working! great something in the wiring... then i got in my truck after a few quick stops and BAM... its off!!???!?/.... i can tell with my intake temp...

ok pump is junk... im driving home watching my intake temps... BAM all of the sudden my intake temps drop so it is back on...

get home i feel the wires to see if any are hot.. they are all normal (yes i have a fuse)
i feel the pump... it is nice and cool....
jiggle the connecter yank of the wires and pump is still running...

all and all i think it is the pump motor and i am going to get a new one, but is there something i am missing?

its a motor with a magnetic cup that spins the water pump side... is it possible for the magnet part to go bad? when the problem happened the first time i took it all apart and the magnets seemed strong enough??

bla bla bla... i just want to know what goes bad in these things... :argh::stupid::hmmmm2::rofl:

im not a throw a part on it type of guy.. if the motor is good and i can get a new pump assembly i might do that... depending on price to new part...

Gadget

Reaction score
How are you measuring the intake temps?? If you are reading it with a scan tool from the IAT, you are fooling yourself. That is up stream of the supercharger and the intercooler system will have no affect on it.

The pump motor drives a magnetic impeller which turns the pump impeller. It is possible for the pump motor to run and yet not pump any water, but if the motor is not running it definitely is not pumping.

G

STONER-X

Reaction score
I have a turbo with the cooler before the maf... I just said TRD pump because its the same one... My set up reads the air after it is cooled...

Are there replacement parts for the pumps? I've had no luck on Google last time I checked... I guess I'll have to set up a test light to see if the pump is still going with a ground setup relay

Its just bugging me with it on and off..

Gadget

Reaction score
The better pump is the Johnson M-30 or C-30, of something like that I think.

The Bosch pump will fail over time. The one on my AMG was running but not pumping. I replaced it with the Johnson pump which is the preferred way to go for the AMG guys. It is regarded as a much more reliable unit, much smaller and pumps better.

IF you want what you have look for the Ford Racing pump for the Lightning. It is the same unit and you can get them anywhere pretty cheap.

G

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I'm running the Johnson pump as well on my TRD setup and it is one strong pump... EBay should be your best bet for price.

STONER-X

Reaction score
OK so today while I was waiting in line at a gas pump... While I thought the pump was off... I popped the hood and opened up the fill tank... The water was still.... I stuck my finger under the inlet tip and I could not feel anything.. So I spun my nossel that points down and the water was flowing really slow.... So it seems like the impeller magnets are bad.. Its not flowing the water fast enough to cool the intercooler...

I think I have stuck my finger in there before but never flipped the spout...

Well I guess problem solved..

Thanks for the help and pointers and recommendations all.. I'm gonna see what I can do to get one of those Johnson pumps... They are really spoken good of on all the forums

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
i searched and havent found an answer yet, my pump is running but barely spewing any coolant, whats the OEM number?
is it m-8501-msvt?

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
nevermind gents............. toy part is PTR29-35062 (thanks Coupe)
BOSCH number on that pump is 0392022002

difference of 150bucks

Top Bottom