Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ARP Head Stud / Cam Oil Control Valve Clearance Issue

akakrill

Reaction score
I have my motor back, built short block with heads torqued on with ARP head studs supplied from Dezod. I began the reassembly of the cams, timing chain and covers, As I was finishing up my valve covers, I decided to install the Cam Oil Control Valves... Well the passenger side didn't go in fully as pictured... I got out the flash light and out came the expletives. It appears the top of the head stud is in the way.

Has anyone experienced this? What is the issue? Do I have the wrong model? I am in contact with my builder and we are working a resolution.

Just wanted to learn about why this might have happened. Ideas?

Head%20Stud%20Interference.jpg

Interference.jpg

Head%20Stud%20too%20tall.jpg

Problem-Stud.jpg

Gadget

Reaction score
Is the stud part extending to high above the nut?

Gadget

Reaction score
You will need to shorten it. If it was a kit for that engine it should of come ready to go.

Count the threads you need to remove. Remove the stud and slowly grind it down very little at a time so it does not get hot and change the heat treating of the stud. Then reinstall and torque.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. Seems that for some reason the studs from Dezod are a little longer than the studs from LC Engineering. Clearly they are different length part numbers. Which creates that one clearance issue with the OCV. I have both sets of studs, and encountered this with the set received with my Goldylocks engine.

akakrill

Reaction score
Another look for someone else's benefit :thumbdown:....

20160911_120640.jpg

Anyway problem resolved...

Day 3 finish state...need some URD button heads to continue

20160911_151748.jpg

Ready for Tow and install..

20160911_175433.jpg

akakrill

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the 4WD oil pan fits the x runner without modification?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hell yeah man!!!!

I believe that some people had to grind just a hair of the cross member in one spot. So be prepared for that potential.

Here are mine, to concur.

Now time to boost it up like this guy's! :D

https://youtu.be/DInFfStbw5g

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Hell yeah man!!!!

I believe that some people had to grind just a hair of the cross member in one spot. So be prepared for that potential.

I did that. As well as a little love from a BFH. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only info I have is what he added into the description. 805 whp, Tranzilla T56, and rebuilt engine. Which means probably a sleeved engine. The previous iteration was~630 whp on the oem trans.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Which sized rotrex do you have Akakrill?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
He drove it to XFEST. Ran great. His wife continued to drive it to put more miles on it (his commute to work is really short). Think it's seeing full boost these days. I hope to get some video with him this weekend. Tony (new guy from Maine) and I are going up to run the Kancamangus Highway with him on Sunday.

Top Bottom