Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Based around the new 2012 Xrunner?

BlackTip12

Reaction score
I want to buy a TRD intake, but can't find one for Tacoma 2012?
Any ideas ?? And a quick question as to what is the mechanism that sits where like you would put an intake filter at on a 2008???

Murderface

Reaction score
It's an air pump. U can install like 4 differ intakes but a couple will need to be modified to work(no biggie). U can get an AFE StageIISi, GenII TRd, URD TCAI and I believe a injen? Look up Miami X to see how he installed the AFE StageII Si on his 2012

Personally I'd stay away from the TRD and get the AFE cause the TRd has issues. AFE use to make the genI TRD

Gadget

Reaction score
There is not one really.

The URD will work, but you will need to cut some metal from the radiator core support to get the pipe through.

G

BlackTip12

Reaction score
I'm talking about regular intake like pipe shroud/box and filter.. No through core support for true cold air???

Miami_X

Reaction score
2012 CAI Choices.

Hi, BlackTip12. It seems I'm the resident expert on 2012 XRunner CAIs, so here's my $.02:

I've heard nothing but good things about the URD CAI, but seeing as to how our trucks are still under warranty, the idea of cutting the firewall and having to explain that 'modification' to a dubious service manager did not appeal to me, so, until my warranty is up, I probably will not go that route. YMMV.

I was advised, by several knowledgeable members here that the present generation TRD intake is NOT a good choice for a supercharged engine - and I took them at their word.

After doing some research, I found several folks who are running the afe Stage II CAI with their TRD Supercharged Xs with no problems at all. The problem with installing one on a 2012 is the air pump location on the passenger fenderwell, right where the afe Stage II air box would attach. So, I set out to fabricate a new bracket for the air pump in an effort to relocate in near the power steering reservoir.

ENTER Airaid Products, who produce a CAI for the 2012 X-Runner which comes with the bracket I needed. Being impatient, I purchased the Airaid intake and installed the bracket which relocated the air pump and everything worked great. BTW, the Airaid CAI worked just fine.

Being abundantly cautious with my new 30K truck, I've since removed the Airraid and installed a used afe Stage II CAI I purchased at a great price from a member here because it has been proven, over time, to work flawlessly with the TRD S/C.. It now fits perfectly due to the relocation bracket furnished by the Airaid kit. Zero CELs.

Don't know if my rambling post helped. Hope it gave you some options. Good luck.

Miami_X

BlackTip12

Reaction score
See, your the type of person that needs to be on these forums things and that actually explains very detailed for the learning curve individuals . Thank you Miami x. For your help!!! Bob-

roy365

Reaction score
Hi, BlackTip12. It seems I'm the resident expert on 2012 XRunner CAIs, so here's my $.02:

I've heard nothing but good things about the URD CAI, but seeing as to how our trucks are still under warranty, the idea of cutting the firewall and having to explain that 'modification' to a dubious service manager did not appeal to me, so, until my warranty is up, I probably will not go that route. YMMV.

I was advised, by several knowledgeable members here that the present generation TRD intake is NOT a good choice for a supercharged engine - and I took them at their word.

After doing some research, I found several folks who are running the afe Stage II CAI with their TRD Supercharged Xs with no problems at all. The problem with installing one on a 2012 is the air pump location on the passenger fenderwell, right where the afe Stage II air box would attach. So, I set out to fabricate a new bracket for the air pump in an effort to relocate in near the power steering reservoir.

ENTER Airaid Products, who produce a CAI for the 2012 X-Runner which comes with the bracket I needed. Being impatient, I purchased the Airaid intake and installed the bracket which relocated the air pump and everything worked great. BTW, the Airaid CAI worked just fine.

Being abundantly cautious with my new 30K truck, I've since removed the Airraid and installed a used afe Stage II CAI I purchased at a great price from a member here because it has been proven, over time, to work flawlessly with the TRD S/C.. It now fits perfectly due to the relocation bracket furnished by the Airaid kit. Zero CELs.

Don't know if my rambling post helped. Hope it gave you some options. Good luck.

Miami_X

Sounds like a call to any supporting vendors to fabricate a relocation bracket for 2012+ trucks. Nice post! :top:

X_Less

Reaction score
For 2012-13 (14?), There's an extra air pump that sits in the way of most aftermarket intake filters... As of now there are only 3 intakes that are made that will fit with instructions and parts needed to re-locate this little pumpy thingy.

That is URD TCAI:
23608386906139343793678.jpg

http://www.urdusa.com/Intakes-Cold-...-INTAKE,-05+-Tacoma-4.0L-V6/product_info.html

'12 install
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/213899-urd-tcai-2012-tacoma.html

A lot of people like the URD intake because theoretically it has a very simple and affective way to get cold air... Put the filter behind the grill. But there is a draw back, It will require some cutting of sheet metal, If you have an aftermarket grill you will need to get the splash shield thingy they sell or risk it getting soaked or drawing in to much air where the engine will derp... And if you intend on playing in some mud puddles, This isn't the intake for you.

2nd available intake for the '12 is the airaid

510-312-Installed.jpg

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=510-312

I don't have any experience with it or a vast majority of knowledge... But I have read that it gives instructions and everything needed to re-located the air pump and that those who have this intake have no complaints about it... It does seem farking expensive on their website but I've found them going for around $370 which is still quite a lot for just a intake that does nothing but make a noise and add some engine bling.

Volant 2012 Intake

18540_in.jpg

It's really new to market, I think 2 months now... So I haven't heard anything about it.
http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=1187

A aftermarket intake wont do much if anything for power. People say they notice a difference but it's really just the noise that makes it seem faster or a mental thing (like if you add just a little bit of air to each tire you seem to think your car feels more agile, or if you put 91-93 octane in your car/truck while you normally put in 87 that it seems faster... it's just a mental thing)... Our stock intakes, and most if not all modern stock intakes for all cars are made with economy in mind and to try and squeeze as much power out of the engines as possible in a safe manner. So they are cold air intakes, A cold air intake will not draw in any hot air so the filter's are enclosed with ducts that go to the exterior of the vehicle (URD is the exception because they bypassed the ducts and just put the filter outside) so K&N intakes are not cold air... Although you can hear more with a exposed filter what little you'd get from a cold air intake, you won't be getting with a hot air intake. Ours has a double filtering system to ensure nothing gets into the engine. It's great if you live off in the country or go on trails/sand etc... So keep that in mind when you decide to go for a intake.

Meow! If you really want to utilize a aftermarket intake system, URD does sell a MAF sensor calibrator that will help you actually gain anything from a aftermarket intake. It's like $200 but people say it's worth it... And i'm not sure if it is compatible with the 2012's but it wouldn't hurt to ask that one guy on here that runs URD.

Miami_X

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. Several members have taken time to explain things to me when i was an XRunner noob a year ago; just paying it forward.

For what it's worth, the Airaid intake for the 2012 X-Runner worked and sounded great. I would recommend it with no problem. Here's a picture of it installed in my X:

3dee83d0.jpg

Ended up with the afe, though. If yu look closely, you can see the relocated air pump just to the right of the power steering reservoir. Check it out:
cd246aa8.jpg

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Just a little bit of info, I wouldn't worry too much about warranty issues with the URD intake. Most good Toyota dealerships know at least a little about URD and generally won't try to pull any warranty crap with you because of URD products. That's not set in stone, but I'd say it's likely you won't have any issues.

For example, Toyota replaced my old MK1 supercharger a while back, covered under my Toyota warranty. And about 2 weeks ago, they replaced my MAF sensor, even with the harness extension, under warranty.

I would go with whichever intake you want most and not worry yourself much about the warranty. If they are going to try to void your warranty, they'll try to no matter which intake is on there. Just don't let them walk all over you and you'll be fine.

BlackTip12

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me for the last time I ask I hope, how to disarm seatbelt buzzer on a 2012 xrunner??????????

X_Less

Reaction score
Go to a junkyard with thick scissors. Pocket/buy the seatbelt insert and put it in the buckle... But you should really use your seatbelt.

Murderface

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me for the last time I ask I hope, how to disarm seatbelt buzzer on a 2012 xrunner??????????

Take the dash speedo cluster out, on the backside there is a round black thing soldered to the board, rip it off and no more seat belt buzzer. It also will get rid of the beep when u put the shifter into reverse and will disarm the buzzer when u have the keys in the ignition with the door open. Very simple to do, I did this to my truck

@Miami X, to install the URD intake u cut a hole in the radiator core support and not the firewall

Last edited:

Miami_X

Reaction score
@Miami X, to install the URD intake u cut a hole in the radiator core support and not the firewall

Thanks, John. Didn't notice that. Wrote it at work in a hurry and didn't proofread. I know the difference. :top:

Murderface

Reaction score
I figured u knew the difference but didn't want others to be confused

Miami_X

Reaction score
And, speaking of 2012 mods....... I'm a teacher with two weeks off starting on 12/21 - time to install a URD 2.85 pulley, DTLTs, and a set of QA1s!. Yeah, Santa came early this year.

justin13703

Reaction score
Take the dash speedo cluster out, on the backside there is a round black thing soldered to the board, rip it off and no more seat belt buzzer. It also will get rid of the beep when u put the shifter into reverse and will disarm the buzzer when u have the keys in the ignition with the door open. Very simple to do, I did this to my truck

Would the way in the link I posted not work? Just curious if it only worked for certain years.

Top Bottom