Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BLACK full size spare tire

Detective_Dan

Reaction score
so today i was installing my walbro 255 and i pulled the bed off instead of dropping the fuel tank. well, i noticed that my full size spare was the EXACT same as the 18" alloys, just black instead of the grey/aluminum color. wtf is up with that? i have never seen that on other X's and i want 3 more lol

anybody else have this and willing to trade for very nice grey wheels?

sorry for the bad pic but its the only one i have

ACD0CAA4.jpg

RRX

Reaction score
So do you think it is easier to pull the bed to do the fuel pump or drop the tank. I have to do mine when I get back one in a few weeks.

Detective_Dan

Reaction score
So do you think it is easier to pull the bed to do the fuel pump or drop the tank. I have to do mine when I get back one in a few weeks.
i think the bed was easier. plenty of room to work and all you gotta do is disconnect electrical to the taillights, license plate lights, and 110v inverter, then the fuel filler neck. presto, take the bed off.

has anybody seen a black wheel like this? i want 3 more and im willing to trade perfect condition grey 18's for your BLACK spare

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I think they started doing that on the 2009+ models. It's kind of weird that they leave the spare black. I sure can't think of any good reason not to have it match the rest of the wheels.

Jaegermeister

The "Tony Hawk" Guy
Reaction score
Yeah I thought it was weird too, I pulled mine out and was like what the...

SDXR619

Reaction score
Maybe so EVERYONE knows it's a spare..lol. I saw a member on here selling a set of them around Winter last year.

sinister07

Reaction score
wow had no Idea. Why don't you just paint all of em black?

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep mines like that too. Gotta normal tire on it, but they dont match the rest.

Also they stopped putting TPMS in the spare

Detective_Dan

Reaction score
wow had no Idea. Why don't you just paint all of em black?
im on the fence about painting mine. i want it to look nice and last. i need a good durable flat black paint that touches up easily as well...

hmmmm maybe BBQ paint or engine paint? thoughts anybody?

and NO, im not doing plasti-dip either lol, my buddy did it and personally i think it looks cheap because of the texture. i want a smooth, flat black

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Is the whole rim painted? I remember some people saying it was only the front and the back wasn't fully painted??

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
They didn't take the time to paint the back, looks like they just sprayed the front and over-spray gets on the inside

Detective_Dan

Reaction score
Is the whole rim painted? I remember some people saying it was only the front and the back wasn't fully painted??
im honestly not sure, i didnt pay that much attention to it, i only had a few hours to do my fuel pump before the shop closed so i was more concerned with getting that done lol

x20Runner05

Reaction score
They started doing it from the factory i work for toyota. I almost sure the tire say temporary use only too.

redarkx

Reaction score
Detective_Dan said:
im on the fence about painting mine. i want it to look nice and last. i need a good durable flat black paint that touches up easily as well...

hmmmm maybe BBQ paint or engine paint? thoughts anybody?

and NO, im not doing plasti-dip either lol, my buddy did it and personally i think it looks cheap because of the texture. i want a smooth, flat black

Of topic, but plasti dip and them paint over that. Looks much better.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Question: when removing the bed did you lift if from the wheel wells?

Detective_Dan

Reaction score
Question: when removing the bed did you lift if from the wheel wells?

I did not. I used the bed cleats and rail system in junction with a ceiling hoist. Now granted, not many people have access to a ceiling hoist lol but you can lift from the wheel wells. Just take the tailgate off (because it will be ass heavy) and make sure to disconnect ALL electrical plugs and the wire tabs that are connected from the frame to the tailgate. Backup camera, tail light wires, license plate wires, and fuel filler and vapor return lines need to come completely off of the bed

And the bed bolts are a #55 torx bit I believe

Last edited:

pitbull716

Reaction score
I have a 2009 and mine has a black spare. It is black on the front and back

RRX

Reaction score
I would powder coat them not paint then.

Top Bottom