Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch felt odd & Maint Req light on

J

JDUB916

Hi guys, I searched the forum and didnt really see my issue anywhere and was hoping if anyone had some insight.

I went to go put my truck in the garage, I started it up sounded fine, put it in reverse to back out, and when I started to release the clutch it shuttered, you could feel the truck felt like it was trying to grab. I stopped and attempted to pull forward, however it felt just the same.

At this point the light had not come on. I turned off the engine and sat for a minute. I started it back up, and tried the steps once again and had the same results.

I stopped the engine once more. Sat for a second and thought. On the third attempt it felt normal this time, however the MAINT REQD light flashed a few times. I pulled into my garage and stopped the engine. I started it again and put it in reverse but the shutting did not come back.

I know the light points to an oil change, however the light does not stay on, it simply blinks several times. I just changed my oil approxamately 800 miles ago and the truck has been feeling fine.

I have a 2006 SWB with about 20k on it. Spark plugs dont seem to need to be replaced until 35k. All my maint is up to date and I cant think of what the issue was.

Any ideas before I talk to Toyotal sometime this week when I have the chance?

Thanks alot.

stretch200

Reaction score
The maintenance required light is the oil change light. Nothing else. Maybe you forgot to reset it?
As for the shuddering, this happened to me a couple times. I was never able to recreate it for Toyota so I never got it checked. But it stopped doing it and hasn't done it for about 7000 miles. Maybe it'll come back when it gets hot again, but it shouldn't be too much to worry about. If it happens again, try to get it to toyota so they can feel it.

skilledbum23

Reaction score
flashing light means your about due for an oil change if it stays on your past due, so i guess your never got reset

RossK35

Reaction score
The light starts to flash 500 miles before the 5000 mile mark then it just stays on. Just reset it and it will go away.

Michigan X-Runner

Reaction score
Is it a clutch release shudder?

Are you hard on your clutch? Slip it alot and or ride the clutch to hold it on light hills ect?

Meh, it sound just like a clutch shudder to me...

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
That's clutch shudder, mine does that sometimes not really a problem unless it does it all the time. the required maintenance light just needs to be reset, the flashing means you are getting close to an oil change and steady light means your due, how to reset "turn ignition key on and make sure the odometer is on the miles setting and not trip A or B, turn ignition key back off push in on the odometer reset button and hold while turning key back on and continue holding the odometer will go blank and then start flashing bars and then all zeros than the current mileage, release button and your reset. The spark plugs are due on the 4.0 1GR-FE at 30K

J

JDUB916

Everyone, thanks for the feedback!

Ok so yes, the oil light just happened to be a coincidence (spelling? LOL).

As for the shutter, I talked to a few local friends too and all agree, its happened once for them and just a fluke, weird. it is cold here in Sacramento, but not too cold, anyway, Im not gonna worry about it for now but appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, JDUB

J

JDUB916

Went to the dealership today, same feedback, not to worry.

I checked the fluids though and my power steering fluid was quite a bit low so filled that up.

You know how when you think somethings wrong you tend to manifest a sense of it? I checked out my co-workers x-runner today and it feels the same, so I know its all good.

Peace!

wshsbears

Reaction score
thats not just clutch shudder. it means that when ur clutch was cold, u rode the clutch or got on it hard or shifted hard and this is called warping the clutch. the good news about clutches compared to brake rotors, is that they repair themselves a little better than warped rotors. its the same idea though, when the flywheel is cold and then u ride the clutch or anything rough on the clutch, it gets hot really quick, thats the point of warming up ur engine/clutch/tranny everything before u get on it.

if this happens it'll probably happen for just a short time and then go away.

J

JDUB916

thats not just clutch shudder. it means that when ur clutch was cold, u rode the clutch or got on it hard or shifted hard and this is called warping the clutch. the good news about clutches compared to brake rotors, is that they repair themselves a little better than warped rotors. its the same idea though, when the flywheel is cold and then u ride the clutch or anything rough on the clutch, it gets hot really quick, thats the point of warming up ur engine/clutch/tranny everything before u get on it.

if this happens it'll probably happen for just a short time and then go away.

Yeah I hear you, but the fact was it sat for a few hours. I went 'back out' our my parking spot to put it in my garage there was no way i was 'getting on it', either way, thanks for the feedback

Top Bottom