Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

D Ring relocation

project-c2

Reaction score
So here's the dillema.:dontknow: I bought this truck to load my stuntbike into the bed. I realized a couple of things after the first attempt:

1. the cleats flex the rail when using straps.
2. the tailgate is weak as •XR•XR•XR•XR.
3. the dealership I bought the X from is no help at all.:stupid:

Sorry had to vent a little. :banghead: The cons are totally outweighed by the pros. I love my X.:beer:
Anyways. I was wondering how I could relocate the D rings in the back of the bed to the front and allow it to handle @ least 300 lbs. I looked at the drain holes in the front of the bed and that ain't gonna happen.

stretch200

Reaction score
don't know if this will help, but there was this guy on customtacos that put two D-rings under the two front bed bolts.

Bobby B

Reaction score
:dontknow: I bought this truck to load my stuntbike into the bed

You actually put stuff in the bed of you XR. Man, the only thing I've put in mine was a Christmas tree (wasn't exactly thrilled about that!) and my bicycles (that almost cost as much as the truck). Is a trailer out of the Question?

DOGO X

Reaction score
I use the drain hole on mine, no problems at all! :top:

fbjxr

Reaction score
i have loaded a sport bike numerous times, dirt bikes (sometimes 2 at a time), No problems at all!! long distances, short distances... the stock rails hold up fine. they will hold your bike. the only things i refuse to try on those rails is my harley. and if you are worried about the tailgate just take it off.

GixX-Runner

Reaction score
i use the stock rails on my gixxer 750. ive hauled it back and forth from PA to FL numerous times. never had a problem. i have a video of me doing a donuts with my bike in the back and it never moved.:top:

07xrunner

Reaction score
i use the stock rails on my gixxer 750. ive hauled it back and forth from PA to FL numerous times. never had a problem. i have a video of me doing a donuts with my bike in the back and it never moved.:top:
gotta see this ..can you post it ?:biggrin:

WisconsinX

Reaction score
I installed two aftermarket rings in the front of my bed. One hole I used was the drain hole and the other was a hole I had to drill. Ofcourse its just plastic so I made an aluminum plate that went underneath the bed for both sides. I hauled my v-star 5,000 miles at speeds up to 95, rough roads, snow and ice and never had a lick of trouble. Hope this helps

CBRBob

Reaction score
You can buy those D-rings in a kit from the dealer. Take the 2 front bed bolts out, take the stock washers off them and replace them with the d-rings if you really believe the stock setup wont hold. Better holding them to the frame then simply through the bed plastic. I have travelled thousands of miles with a CBR1000RR in the bed just using the cleats, no d-rings. Just add a 2 more cleats to the front rail, use a bar harness (Cycle Cinch) and tie them to the front, 2 from the rearset mounts to the cleats towards the front of the rails and if you still have them, 2 from the passenger peg brackets(or subframe) to cleats farther back on the rails. Just make sure all the straps pull forward. Use NON-ratcheting tie-downs and make them all SUNG, not rock hard tight.

project-c2

Reaction score
You can buy those D-rings in a kit from the dealer. Take the 2 front bed bolts out, take the stock washers off them and replace them with the d-rings if you really believe the stock setup wont hold. Better holding them to the frame then simply through the bed plastic. I have travelled thousands of miles with a CBR1000RR in the bed just using the cleats, no d-rings. Just add a 2 more cleats to the front rail, use a bar harness (Cycle Cinch) and tie them to the front, 2 from the rearset mounts to the cleats towards the front of the rails and if you still have them, 2 from the passenger peg brackets(or subframe) to cleats farther back on the rails. Just make sure all the straps pull forward. Use NON-ratcheting tie-downs and make them all SUNG, not rock hard tight.
That's what I was wondering. The dealer sells the kit. I thought they were the smaller ones like on the back.

project-c2

Reaction score
I installed two aftermarket rings in the front of my bed. One hole I used was the drain hole and the other was a hole I had to drill. Ofcourse its just plastic so I made an aluminum plate that went underneath the bed for both sides. I hauled my v-star 5,000 miles at speeds up to 95, rough roads, snow and ice and never had a lick of trouble. Hope this helps
I too was thinking of doing this. I got the bar strap to tie it down. I guess I'll pay a visit to the dealer and pick up the extra D rings.:rolleyez:

project-c2

Reaction score
Thanks guys. By far the best froum for help and topics on X Runners. As for the tailgate. I already smashed it loading up my bike. Wish I read the thread on CT earlier about the guy that helped his buddy out by loading up his bike and denting the tailgate.:motz:

Thanks again.:top:

project-c2

Reaction score
If I get the accessory ones, I don't have to do that right?

wshsbears

Reaction score
I've driven all over the place with a gsxr 600 tied down to 4 of the stock tie downs. i used ratchet tie downs that worked perfectly. for anyone who knows how i drive, i was driving that way with the bike too.. i slid around every turn and the bike never moved. the tire downs should not be rock tight as said b4. if u take a corner and watch the tie downs, one side will stretch a little and the other will have minimal slack in it. those bed cleats were made for bikes and other heavy duty stuff. Keep in mind that the bed is the same bed from the pre-runners and these tie downs are supposed to hold 250lbs each continuously.

project-c2

Reaction score
I've driven all over the place with a gsxr 600 tied down to 4 of the stock tie downs. i used ratchet tie downs that worked perfectly. for anyone who knows how i drive, i was driving that way with the bike too.. i slid around every turn and the bike never moved. the tire downs should not be rock tight as said b4. if u take a corner and watch the tie downs, one side will stretch a little and the other will have minimal slack in it. those bed cleats were made for bikes and other heavy duty stuff. Keep in mind that the bed is the same bed from the pre-runners and these tie downs are supposed to hold 250lbs each continuously.
See I only used 2 tiedowns on the front and I would watch as I take a turn and one would slack up. That's what worried my. I used the ratchet ones too. Easier on the hands.:top:

cnewingham

Reaction score
I moved the D rings in the back up under the frt bed bolts. I did have to open the holes up a little but it was worth it cause I didnt trust the bed rails even with my 240lb rm250.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Jeez, you guys must really be loading these things up wrong if you have bikes wobbling and slacking the tie-downs. Use 4 as a min. I will have to load a bike up and take pics. If you are hurting your hands with cambuckle tie-downs you are doing it VERY wrong. Once you have all tie downs in place and the bike upright, you basically pull the grip to you as if you were trying to pull the bike over. At the same time, pull the tie down. Do both sides until its snug and level. So easy, a caveman can do it :)

Top Bottom