Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Detailing engine bay

dramad1

Reaction score
I have seen many pics of some super clean engine bays. I want to do a better job of cleaning my engine bay.
I have never used a hose and spayed the engine bay down. I always get a wet sponge and do my best to get all the dirt out but it ends up drying with dirt smears.
Is it safe to spray the engine bay down with a hose? Any areas I should avoid spraying down? How do you fellas clean your engine bay?
I've always been nervous of getting a wire or something wet that should be.
Let me know. Thanks fellas.

X_Less

Reaction score
The engine itself can get wet, It's best to do it with a cold or slightly warm engine... A hot engine risks cracking the block.

Meow, I spray super clean all over the engine itself and let it sit for a few minutes then hose it down with a pressure. The sides and such I just spray some detailer and wipe it off.

dramad1

Reaction score
Any areas besides the battery I should avoid getting wet?

Detective_Dan

Reaction score
Any areas besides the battery I should avoid getting wet?

You basically want to avoid soaking any electrical components. Most electrical connections in modern motors are at least water resistant and some are even waterproof but I wouldn't want to test that theory and find out that it's wrong. It really won't hurt it if they get damp just avoid soaking them with the hose.

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
I was just talking to R1 Chris and Gadget about this over the weekend. Simple green and power wash no need to worry about taping things of.

Bulldogger

Reaction score
Use a tooth brush BWAAAHHHHAAA.
Just kidding usually a good engine cleaner let it soak like the directions say then hose off. just don't use high pressure water.

I was just talking to R1 Chris and Gadget about this over the weekend. Simple green and power wash no need to worry about taping things of.

You have to be careful with a power washer you can do some damage.

Last edited:

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
Obviously use common sense dont get and industrial strength one

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I use simple green on a warm engine. Let it set for a minute then spray it out. Then I wipe off all painted plastic parts so it doesnt leave water stains.

NOTE : CRC engine degreaser in a spray can will eat the paint off plastic. Especially rattle can stuff. That include high temp paint. Ot did it to my intake manifold.

justin13703

Reaction score
I also use simple green when the engine is warm, not hot. Spray everything with simple green and let it sit for maybe 5 minutes. Then hose it all off with a garden hose. I've never used a pressure washer, I feel like that's just asking for trouble. A garden hose with a spray nozzle is enough pressure. Then I close the hood and run the engine up to temperature to steam off all the water. Then wipe everything down with detailer and it looks brand new.

dramad1

Reaction score
Right on fellas. Will be doing this,this weekend.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
i've been wondering about this myself...i love this site.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
here are the tools I have used..

I cover the fuse box, alt, and battery... use a hose with a spray attachment or just your thumb, NEVER use a pressure washer!!

Once a year (after winter driving) I use the Gunk engine spray and each time after that just the Dawn in a spray bottle... since this photo was taken instead of the tire shine for the hoses and the trim shine I use Maxima SC-1. You will find it at most motorcycle/dirt bike shops...
41pYKw7sgXL.jpg

dramad1

Reaction score
here are the tools I have used..
http://s962.photobucket.com/user/hottacoX/media/P4040698.jpg.html

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/hottacoX/media/IMG_2296.jpg.html

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/hottacoX/media/IMG_2298.jpg.html

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/hottacoX/media/IMG_2300.jpg.html

I cover the fuse box, alt, and battery... use a hose with a spray attachment or just your thumb, NEVER use a pressure washer!!

Once a year (after winter driving) I use the Gunk engine spray and each time after that just the Dawn in a spray bottle... since this photo was taken instead of the tire shine for the hoses and the trim shine I use Maxima SC-1. You will find it at most motorcycle/dirt bike shops...

One of the cleanest I have seen. Great job man. I'd love to get mine looking that good on occasion. Rotm quality right there.
Is that a throttle body spacer?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments fellers:adore:

One of the cleanest I have seen. Great job man. I'd love to get mine looking that good on occasion. Rotm quality right there.
Is that a throttle body spacer?

thanks bro ROTM for Aug '12:canada::canada:

yeah its a throttle body spacer, no performance gain but a neat whistle haha, currently my engine bay is missing an engine.... but it gives me a chance to get her REALLY clean:blurock:

Grumpy

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments fellers:adore:

thanks bro ROTM for Aug '12:canada::canada:

yeah its a throttle body spacer, no performance gain but a neat whistle haha, currently my engine bay is missing an engine.... but it gives me a chance to get her REALLY clean:blurock:

That Molson really bring out the shine in black plastic! :laugh:
Cough cough...shave & wire tuck....cough...

I use a vacuum & dusting brush to remove any loose particles. Diluted Simple Green, micro fiber towel, and a bucket full of clean water. Spray & wipe, let spray soak for stubborn stain. Wash dirty towel in water bucket, repeat until satisfied. Dress plastic & rubber parts as necessary.
No hosing it down for me, didn't want to take a chance with potential electrical problem....my least favorite kind of problem.

Top Bottom