Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EBC Rotors/Pads - Brake Squeal?

James_T

Reaction score
I've got a set of the EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors installed on my rear brakes about 8k miles ago, as well as Greenstuff pads to match. Recently, I've been hearing some squeaks while driving, with a few squeaks every wheel revolution.

I properly bedded them in, I greased all contact points, sliders, and pins (floating caliper design on the 4Runner), as well as applied the shims with the stop squeak compound.

Any ideas on what's left? The pads have almost 1/2" left on them, and the rotors look pretty excellent.

Murderface

Reaction score
That's just the way the Greenstuff pads are. I had installed a set on my wife's Altima before and she complained about the same problem. What I would do then was to drive around the block once or twice with my foot lightly pushing the brake pedal and it would get rid of the squeal for a while until it came back and I had to do it again.

Don't be discouraged with the pads because they squeak from time to time. The pads really help with better braking and are worth it IMO

James_T

Reaction score
That's just the way the Greenstuff pads are. I had installed a set on my wife's Altima before and she complained about the same problem. What I would do then was to drive around the block once or twice with my foot lightly pushing the brake pedal and it would get rid of the squeal for a while until it came back and I had to do it again.

Don't be discouraged with the pads because they squeak from time to time. The pads really help with better braking and are worth it IMO

I've used that plenty as my temporary fix; "re-bedding" them, as it were. It stops the squeaks for a few weeks or so, but I was concerned if it was hot spotting or something.

I guess I'll just kinda ignore the noise; however, in the rain, they squeak a hell of a lot more than in the dry.

Murderface

Reaction score
Have u ever listened to a race cars brakes when stopping? Squeak like a mofo! It just goes with the territory.
Now what are u saying about the hot spotting?

livinginsa

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. My brakes squel like a pig at a feeding frenzy. The pigs were quiet for awhile. I didn't like the sound, at all so I had the pads changed out, still no change. I took brakes apart and cleaned everything, still no changed. I took the X to David of APR and he said that he could stop the squeel. He told me what to buy but I forgot what it was. He said it would change the frequency of the squeel so we wouldn't be able to hear the squeel.

Anyway, I went O'Reillys Auto Parts, and I bought some CRC Brake (Anti-Pig Squeel), and it stopped the squeel for months but the pig is feeding, again. It is a rubber compound. You take the tires off of the car, remove the pads, and put the rubber on the back of the pads. Let the pads sit about ten minutes so it sets (another way of saying to let it harden up a little), and put the pads back into the slots. I took a pair of pliers and a screwdriver, and I spread the caliphers back a little so the pads would go back in with the gooey rubber material being on the back of the pads. I let it sit all night. I drove it the next day, and it was fine. There would be a tiny, faint sound, once in a while but not much.

I even tried a spray. One sprays the rotors with this anti-pig spray. The pigs don't squeel. As soon as one uses the breakes, the pads scrape off the spray, and it is like one took the food from the pigs. I knew that was a stupid idea when I got home and read the directions on the can. If anyone wants that can, they can have it. What a ripoff.

If I was an a**whole, I would offer my brakes up for sale because I can't stand the noise. Oh, anyone want to buy some brakes, lol. I know it isn't nice to talk bad about vendors or vendor products on here but one has to warn people when a product just isn't right. A lot of other vendor products aren't any good but I should probably not vent.

One might want to check with David of APR, and get the product he suggest. I am out of town or I would stop in and talk with him more about it.

Last edited:

burnboy

Reaction score
Squeal comes from the pad chattering against the rotor. Like the purpose of the clips in my ssbc kit is for exactly that

08x

Reaction score
on the 4runners its common for the rear shoes for the parking brake to also squeal if dirt gets there also for some reason almost all aftermarket pads squeal on toyotas we have had tons of customers come in after that had aftermarket brakes put on and they squeal and its just normal on toyotas to squeal

burnboy

Reaction score
The caliper piston is sealed with a square o-ring. Or else brake fluid would escape from the piston right? The purpose of the square oring is after you release the brake pedal the piston is drawn back just a bit to release clamp from the rotor. Once the piston retracts the pad is left loose in the caliper. This is where squeal comes from. Unless the pad is securable to the piston to draw the pad back with the piston and the pad stays secured to the piston. Make sense?

Murderface

Reaction score
Squeal comes from the pad chattering against the rotor. Like the purpose of the clips in my ssbc kit is for exactly that

My 332mm SSBC BBK didn't come with any pad clips and my brakes make
No noise at all. I lubed the piss outta any part that the pads contacted. Been almost a year now.

burnboy

Reaction score
My ssbc kit squeals at 5 mph. I'm going to put the clips in this weekend. But my explanation of how a caliper works is why some manufacturers glue or adhere the pad to the caliper carrier or the piston.

livinginsa

Reaction score
My ssbc kit squeals at 5 mph. I'm going to put the clips in this weekend. But my explanation of how a caliper works is why some manufacturers glue or adhere the pad to the caliper carrier or the piston.

That is exactly what that CRC brake glue does. It uses a rubber type material to glue the pad to the caliper. I think there are better glues out there then the one that I used. I did try the grease trick before I tried the glue trick. The grease didn't work for me. Today, it squeels really bad. I would fix it, again with better glue but I don't think the neighborhood that I am living in would like me working on my X in the driveway. Might have to wait till I get to my house in San Antonio over the holidays. Any suggestions on a better brand of glue?

James_T

Reaction score
That is exactly what that CRC brake glue does. It uses a rubber type material to glue the pad to the caliper. I think there are better glues out there then the one that I used. I did try the grease trick before I tried the glue trick. The grease didn't work for me. Today, it squeels really bad. I would fix it, again with better glue but I don't think the neighborhood that I am living in would like me working on my X in the driveway. Might have to wait till I get to my house in San Antonio over the holidays. Any suggestions on a better brand of glue?

On a fixed caliper design, I think the glue thing would work wonders. On my friend's 93 Firebird, the brake pads actually have a metal clip that clips onto the piston, sealing it tight to the piston. For free floating calipers though, the side with the piston could be solved by gluing it to the piston, but what about the free floating side?

Murderface

Reaction score

That sux but I'm not sure if it would really bother me or not. Not that my truck is a race car by any means but their brakes squeak like a mofo and as long as it's not that bad I'm ok with it. If mine do start to sqeak I guess I can call TR and ask for the clips since my kit didn't have them in the box. My fingers will be crossed!

I also think it's funny how some places don't allow people to work on their cars/trucks in the driveway, I understand why they feel that way and because of how nice the houses are around it but damn, can't even change some brake pads in there. I also guess if u live there u have enough money to pay someone to do the work for u, even then what fun is that? Even the rich guys with Ferarris work on their own cars

burnboy

Reaction score
Tom at tundra racing is awesome and I'm sure would supply you with the clips as he told me he has tons. Tr is awesome. Second, its the home owners associations who have rules set in specific neighborhoods here in texas. I'm not familiar with other states

Murderface

Reaction score
I fully understand the Homeowners association thing and that's why I explained it in my post. I get why they do it

burnboy

Reaction score
Not all people who live in hoods with hoa's are rich. Hell not all hoods with hoa's are that nice either, lol. They won't even let you keep a boat in the driveway. Bunch of hoity toity crap. Which is why I have guns, a mean ass dog, and insurance, lol. I live on the east side. East always means , well anyways

jtnyc

Reaction score
So anyone came up with a solution to the squeal? Would OEM Toyota pads solve this?

livinginsa

Reaction score
Tom at Tundraracing was no help. He is the one with the crappy instructions. I would get the TRD brakes, instead, probably better quality and better engineering. The Rotoras look nicer. The other thing one could do is have David of APR engineer one of those Brembos to work on our X.

CBRBob

Reaction score
You dont need the clips, use some of that backing plate paste.

tacobox

Reaction score
So anyone came up with a solution to the squeal? Would OEM Toyota pads solve this?

yes, for street use OE pads will be fine and quiet. If you go to the track or autoX then put your EBC pads back in.

Top Bottom