Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine builds

kwigs160966

Reaction score
I am having a difficult time finding all of the information I am looking for as far as engine builds go and was hoping to get a sticky made up for anyone that has or is doing an engine build. I think this would be a good spot for everyone to post up what parts they have used or going to use and what the goals of there motor are.

For my self I would like to build something that is going to be RELIABLE and kick out over 600-650 hp with the Urd s/c (since I already have one) and would like the option of putting. Nitrous kit on it

Do you guys think that is a reasonable goal? I don't know a lot about motor builds so any help for me and others would be appreciated!

So far I looked the new stroker kit (although it has a steep price tag) I may just upgrade the lower end rather than go with the stroker kit depending on prices. I also would like to sleeve the block.
A d get the heads ported and polished maybe some cams if they are available.

X-roller

Reaction score
Member builds. Click on my build and then it will take you to the member builds section

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That number can be easily supported by the rods, pistons, head studs and head gaskets which are sold by Dezod.

Already been done as well, but unfortunately by someone who isn't a member.

Anything in particular that I can answer?

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Courious about compression ratios and piston bore. I would love the striker kit however I think it is out of my price range at this point.

So I am looking at

Pistons 9.1:1 compression??
Rods
Bearings and seals
Sleeves

And then I get stuck with what to do with the heads. And wondering if this set up will handle nitrous and a good chunk of boost say 15lbs. I thought a port and polish for the heads and then I was reading the smaller combustion chamber is better for f/I applications.

hiflyer

Reaction score
Just curious as to what you were planning on replacing your transmission with?

The stock tranny will blow up very very quickly, not to mention rear end...

Gadget

Reaction score
I don't know of any stock transmissions that have blown up.

There have been some shift forks bend/break, but I have not heard of anyone having one of these come apart.

Most replace them because of the syncro/shifting problem. That is just a problem you get real sick of fast in a "sport" truck.

9:1 compression ratio? Why so low?? Are you going to be putting a BIG turbo on there??

G

kwigs160966

Reaction score

There have been some shift forks bend/break, but I have not heard of anyone having one of these come apart.

Most replace them because of the syncro/shifting problem. That is just a problem you get real sick of fast in a "sport" truck.

9:1 compression ratio? Why so low?? Are you going to be putting a BIG turbo on there??

G

Like I said not sure which way to go with pistons. I was planning on sticking the urd s/c what would you suggest? As for the trAns maybe an auto but that wouldn't be for a few years. I just figure I might as well do all the other upgrades since I am pulling the motor anyway.

hiflyer

Reaction score

G

Sorry G - that's what I was referring to - blowing syncro's...

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what I am getting done right now at Dezod:

Molnar rods w/ARP2000 hardware
CP 9.5:1 pistons with complete anti friction coating and overbored to 94.5mm
Cometic head gaskets
ARP headstuds(stockers are one time use only)
*potentially removing balance shaft*
Supertech valves
Bronze valve guides
Viton valve seals
Supertech 61lb seat valve springs w/ti retainers
Fidanza flywheel
SPEC stg3+ clutch
Coupe oil pan
UCON

My intent is to max out my TRD sc and down the road upgrade to MKIII or turbo.
I am sticking with the stock valve size as you will discover our stock exhaust valves are huge as it is and going +1mm isn't worth it IMO unless you fully ported the heads and ran some kind of intake manifold/plenum that would be better than the variable runner stocker.....

Like I said in your other thread I would not waste your money on TTC products

As far as cams go there is some play with them but with a VVT engine there is very little you can actually do with them.... So far from what I have seen its not worth the coin IMO so so little if any gain....

hiflyer

Reaction score
Here's what I am getting done right now at Dezod:

Molnar rods w/ARP2000 hardware
CP 9.5:1 pistons with complete anti friction coating and overbored to 94.5mm
Cometic head gaskets
ARP headstuds(stockers are one time use only)
*potentially removing balance shaft*
Supertech valves
Bronze valve guides
Viton valve seals
Supertech 61lb seat valve springs w/ti retainers
Fidanza flywheel
SPEC stg3+ clutch
Coupe oil pan
UCON

My intent is to max out my TRD sc and down the road upgrade to MKIII or turbo.
I am sticking with the stock valve size as you will discover our stock exhaust valves are huge as it is and going +1mm isn't worth it IMO unless you fully ported the heads and ran some kind of intake manifold/plenum that would be better than the variable runner stocker.....

Like I said in your other thread I would not waste your money on TTC products

As far as cams go there is some play with them but with a VVT engine there is very little you can actually do with them.... So far from what I have seen its not worth the coin IMO so so little if any gain....

thanks for the list! Any idea yet on pricing?

kwigs160966

Reaction score
thanks for the list! Any idea yet on pricing?

I priced out the lower end with all new seals and bearings with sleeves for 4000$ straight off of dezod. Haven't looked at the heads though

I had the engine in my Camaro rebuilt quite a few years ago by d&w they were awesome to deal with back then. Might have to check them out agin.

How did you decide on the spring rates for the heads? And the valves I assume they are stronger than stock? That's the reason for upgrading them

I also need to add head gaskets to the list .......

Added it all up on dezod and everything came to 5000.00 with darton sleeves and everything else needed for pretty much a full upgrade.

What about porting the heads?

Last edited:

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Darton gave me a price of $7700 for a short block with Darton MID Sleeves installed, BC crank, carillo rods, and CP Pistons all balanced and put together...more to have it built to a short block...
Porting heads was gonna be $1500

I forget other details....may still find a block when I get home and get them started on it...

Dave

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Darton gave me a price of $7700 for a short block with BC crank, carillo rods, and CP Pistons.
Porting heads was gonna be $1500

I forget other details....may still find a block when I get home and get them started on it...

Dave

Is the with the stroker kit?

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Is the with the stroker kit?

I think that was stock, perhaps even with a stock crank....I think the BC stroker was more....can't remember after so long (gettin' old and working 12 x 7 for 6 months takes it's toll!!)

Dave

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
BC only has a stroker crank available. Anything else is custom. So I am pretty certain that is with the stroker crank.

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
BC only has a stroker crank available. Anything else is custom. So I am pretty certain that is with the stroker crank.

The more I think about it the $7700 was with a stock crank and it was more for a BC crank

CmIFyC87

Reaction score
curious as to the head port? just ported for $1500 from darton? i would like to get this dont if so.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
curious as to the head port? just ported for $1500 from darton? i would like to get this dont if so.

Get a spare set of heads and ship the out to them. That is the easiest route.

Top Bottom