Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine Knock hits K2 - where's the oil?

X-roller

Reaction score
Rexrunner has a good crank fyi K2... that will save you a ton of hassle... he didn't want much for it.... if it's a knock on one of the pistons then you are in the clear and just replace the crank with good rods and pistons... the only concern I had was that you had knocked on that crank and that is why I was saying it's worthless to try and rebuild it.... I really wish I still had my spare block but I ended up giving it to a friend here that needed it due to the same reason but he just rebuilt it and used my spare block... I have no idea what he did with his... If he has his spare block i'll be more than happy to send it your way and if you can get a hold of rexrunner he has a spare crank last that I checked for cheap too. don't worry about giving me anything for the block... just pay for shipping and it's yours.... all you would have to pay for is labor of engine assembly and rods and pistons...

OH and another thing... I can get you commercial pricing on rods and pistons from toyota so let me know.

roughly $1000 for rods, pistons, and bearings. +rings if the pistons don't come with them... I think they do though.... in case they don't it's like $200 for rings.

Last edited:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Glad i came in and saw this now....I have evrything Rexrunner did....

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Its all good im willing to help. Hopefully K man can figure out what he needs and we can go from there.....
Big family right!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just because there was rod knock, doesn't mean the crank is unusable. Depending on the how loud it was knocking, as well as for how long, will greatly change the potential damage level.

My used engine knocked loud and screeched. Upon tear down, the bearings on one rod had spun 90 degrees. As well as had been smushed. The crank journal for that bearing is scored. However, if I were to remove the crank, have it machined, then replace all of the bearings. Check for tolerance on machined journal, so proper bearing could be installed, as well as replace that rod, incase it had been "egg shaped", then it would be good to go. Just like new.

All of that will most likely be much cheaper than a new engine, however, i can do most of that stuff myself. So my labor charges would be nil. Time wise thiugh, it would take longer than swapping out engines for a new used one.

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Sorry to see this Klint. I never found the cause of the oil ghost but it surely caused the death. If you need any help...well you know I'll lend a hand

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First let me say again how thankful I am to be able to come back to my old home and have so many people offer to help out. You guys rock!

Gadget called me yesterday and we had a good talk. I can't thank him enough to taking time out of his work schedule to call me and give me some good options. He found a few good options for used motors and I ended up picking one up with just 14,000 miles on it. As far as I know its already been trucked to the URD warehouse where it will sit until we can schedule an engine swap.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats good news.

Im sure there are plenty of locals willing to help out. I cannot offer and expertise, but I am willing to lend a hand.

Murderface

Reaction score
Damn even Lee is a Mod WTF!

There u go Klint, such low miles too! How much?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
First let me say again how thankful I am to be able to come back to my old home and have so many people offer to help out. You guys rock!

Gadget called me yesterday and we had a good talk. I can't thank him enough to taking time out of his work schedule to call me and give me some good options. He found a few good options for used motors and I ended up picking one up with just 14,000 miles on it. As far as I know its already been trucked to the URD warehouse where it will sit until we can schedule an engine swap.

Fantastic news :top: Good luck with the swap brother. Wish I was closer to lend a hand.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Awesome news, Klint! :top:
Glad to have you back at "home" for a while.
Time to let the community that you created take care of you!

X-roller

Reaction score
Just because there was rod knock, doesn't mean the crank is unusable. Depending on the how loud it was knocking, as well as for how long, will greatly change the potential damage level.

My used engine knocked loud and screeched. Upon tear down, the bearings on one rod had spun 90 degrees. As well as had been smushed. The crank journal for that bearing is scored. However, if I were to remove the crank, have it machined, then replace all of the bearings. Check for tolerance on machined journal, so proper bearing could be installed, as well as replace that rod, incase it had been "egg shaped", then it would be good to go. Just like new.

All of that will most likely be much cheaper than a new engine, however, i can do most of that stuff myself. So my labor charges would be nil. Time wise thiugh, it would take longer than swapping out engines for a new used one.

that's the thing though... most techs and my personal experience I have asked how long you drove on it while it was knocking?... if they say just a few minutes then good to go... anything more than that I wouldn't try and salvage it.... not worth it because more then likely that crank got really hot at that point and god only knows how far the heat traveled inside that crank and weakened it plus warped it... most techs won't recommend trying to rebuild an engine that was knocked on for more than a few minutes... if you catch it right away more than likely it didn't damage much but if you drove on it knowing it was knocking then you have to realize how much damage that does due to the fact that a knock is created due to heat and that warps some shit real fast.

ntinhri

Reaction score
Klint I will follow you to MD for swap if Im off work.. Im serious, let me know.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Fa

You should have known we wouldnt let you out that easy. this place and its members are more like a big ass extended famuly than a bunch of random people

redarkx

Reaction score
Wish I was closer. I'm not handy with a wrench, but I can hand out beer like a champ. Always needed at a motor swap to keep morale up.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If I lived closer, I would have swapped them out in the middle of the night like a ninja.
spy.gif

redarkx

Reaction score
Torspd said:
If I lived closer, I would have swapped them out in the middle of the night like a ninja.

We could start calling that the torspd special... :)

Gadget

Reaction score
Let's fly in Torspd for the swap meet.

Let him swap that engine like the rest of us change oil.

G

Gadget

Reaction score
The cleanest 1GR ever!!

14,000 miles and comes with a 3/36 warranty!!

2012-06-13_17-48-50_10.jpg

2012-06-13_17-49-06_265.jpg

2012-06-13_17-49-27_94.jpg

2012-06-13_17-51-36_352.jpg

I will get the thermostat and cam gears installed in it along with a fresh set of IKH22 plugs so it will be ready to drop in.

G

Top Bottom