Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

engine Noise

LEFTY'Z SWB

Reaction score
I have been getting a Chattering engine noise off and on for a month or so now.. it usual happends if i get on it or if its cold.. it happends when i come to a stop.. i usually turn off the truck and turn it back on and in a few it will go away.. engine light does not come on.. i have DTLT's CAI and a MAF cal. not tuned yet.. any ideas what it could be?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of CAI do you have? It could be that the box is vibrating against the wheel well. My TRD one did. Something to insulate the corner from touching will take it away. Unless that isn't the problem. Check all of your hardware and make sure all is tight.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
maybe a exhaust leak? And as everything expands it goes away?

LEFTY'Z SWB

Reaction score
it is definatly mechanical.... seems i didnt have this issue untill i put on my Long tubes.. It kinda sounds like a valve chatter. but i cant determine where exactly its comming from..
but its not all the time.. only if im on it a lil hard it starts to happen, and it will go away. but its not all the time either if i get on it..

ill try to get a sound clip next time it happends.. also sometimes the idle will fluxuate a lil like it wants to sdie, then it catches itself..

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If the long tubes are the last thing you've installed, and it didn't make the noise before the long tubes, then that should be the place to start looking. I recheck all of the nuts and bolts. Make sure your sensors are tightened down all the way. And look for any black stains, indicating an exhaust leak. Did you get new gaskets to replace the oem header to y pipe ones?

rich017

Reaction score
sounds like an exhaust leak to me, with all the things you have listed.

Started after you installed the headers
does it when hot and under pressure
Goes away once the truck cools off

exhaust leak...

LEFTY'Z SWB

Reaction score
ive checked everthing that i could think of.. you would have to hear it to understand what i am talking about.. ive had exhaustleaks on other vehichles and this is something different.. just worried about having my engine fail. i replaced every gasket for the headers .. the truck can be hot, and drive it and it will start chattering.... mostly when im getting into it.. hit a stop and it will make noise.. oh, and thanks guys for your input...:top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some videos will really help. In cab driving and a walk around of it idleing. Does it still have the same good power?

LEFTY'Z SWB

Reaction score
yeah the power is sic still. ill try to get a video nextime it happends.. sounds like its under the hood, but it goes away? weird.. i dont get it .when im driving, only hear it when i stop or slow to a stop.... it doesnt do it all the time, only sometimes thats whats getting me.. only when its driven hard.. and even then its not all the time.. :hmmmm2:

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
I have noticed that since the install of my JBA headers I can hear a little more valve noise but I think its because the aftermarket headers have a thinner guage tube used and the sounds travels through it a little easier making it more audible. Isaiah, you can always cruise by my house and we can see if the noise you're hearing is the same one I am talking about.

LEFTY'Z SWB

Reaction score
Hey Jason, nah bro its not all the time.. when it happends, it honestly sounds like a bent rod.. i mean it Clacks loaud as ****, then it will go away and wont happen for maybe a week or so, if im just cruising.. its Fing weird bro..

MadMatt

Reaction score
Maybe backfiring withen the headers from a small exhaust leak that's letting air in. If you have the MAF Cal. I can assume you aren't running rich anymore, and that makes it more prone to backfires as well. Most factory tunes are a little rich to keep it from backfiring. I'm not an expert on this, but I've got a carburated 53' that I have to run a little rich or it will backfire in the pipes. Are you hearing a pinging metallic sound or a loud clack clack clack, the second would be exhaust related.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
backfiring in the pipes on a carbed engine is usually because of a lean idle circuit (the pilot).

An EFI engine runs much leaner (stoich) at idle, and goes into complete fuel cut on decel.

If he idles a lot or cruises a lot and was running fat in the past - he could have a carbon ember heating up and causing a knock.

LEFTY'Z SWB

Reaction score
more like a clacking noise.. and my MAF isnt tuned yet.. ill check everything again. but it doesnt do it all the time. only once in a while..

ill drive it hard tonight and see if i can get it to do it, and ill get video..

Last edited:
Top Bottom